Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,865 Posts
It will only work with the USB in the dash. The ones in the center console and in the second row are only for charging. Only trims with the 8" nav screen are capable of displaying AA and Carplay.

Reactions: zroger73

· Registered
2,243 Posts
It will only work with the USB in the dash. The ones in the center console and in the second row are only for charging. Only trims with the 8" nav screen are capable of displaying AA and Carplay.
Just to clarify...

On my 2G RTL-E w/8" nav screen (AKA "Display Audio"), the USB port in the console does support playback of music on USB flash-drive (so, the console USB port does provide a function other than just charging with that audio-nav unit).

The in-console port does not support phone apps such as AA & Carplay on my RTL-E.

· Registered
150 Posts
Just to clarify...

On my 2G RTL-E w/8" nav screen (AKA "Display Audio"), the USB port in the console does support playback of music on USB flash-drive (so, the console USB port does provide a function other than just charging with that audio-nav unit).

The in-console port does not support phone apps such as AA & Carplay on my RTL-E.
Same behavior on my 2018 RTL-T.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,829 Posts
Does CarPlay work without the cable on those model Ridgelines equipped with CarPlay?
No Honda or Acura yet supports Wireless CarPlay

· Premium Member
3,564 Posts
No Honda or Acura yet supports Wireless CarPlay
Most tech is beyond me but I do notice that my RTL screen tells me it pairs with my iPhone when getting in the vehicle without being cabled up. I do need to cable up to get Siri, maps, Waze, and iPhone-iPod function (probably more). Does that mean my RTL has CarPlay?

· Registered
2,243 Posts
CarPlay (and AA) functionality includes the vehicle 'head unit' acting as a control interface for the system consisting of the HU and the associated smartphone. That's a specific functionality that must be supported by the HU hardware/firmware.

So, if an HU lacks that 'native' CarPlay / AA-specific capability, an HU 'upgrade' is required and as of this date AFAIK there's no work-around short of total replacement for any non-CarPlay / non-AA HU. AFAIK there's no amount of reprogramming / re-flashing of a non-native HU that will do the trick, nor any external gizmo that will do it.

Reactions: Farther

· Premium Member
3,564 Posts
So, if an HU lacks that 'native' CarPlay / AA-specific capability, an HU 'upgrade' is required and as of this date AFAIK there's no work-around short of total replacement for any non-CarPlay / non-AA HU. AFAIK there's no amount of reprogramming / re-flashing of a non-native HU that will do the trick, nor any external gizmo that will do it.
Kind of what I suspected. Thanks for the prompt reply.

· Registered
2018 RTL-E
634 Posts
One of these days I need to figure out how to use Apple CarPlay, assuming my truck is capable. I know our other car is not compatible. Is there a thread somewhere here that explains how to use it?

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Is there a thread somewhere here that explains how to use it?
Yes, your RTL-E does support CarPlay.

IMO a good starting point is page 287 of the downloadable Full Owner's Manual for the RL; that'll get you the basics of connection and setup. Beyond that, "carplay" in this forum's search will yield hits, and google will reveal more current info on the latest version of CarPlay itself.

BTW, a substantially updated version of carplay (still compatible with our RLs) is expected in the not-too-distant future as part of iOS 13.

· Registered
2018 RTL-E
634 Posts
Yes, your RTL-E does support CarPlay.

IMO a good starting point is page 287 of the downloadable Full Owner's Manual for the RL; that'll get you the basics of connection and setup. Beyond that, "carplay" in this forum's search will yield hits, and google will reveal more current info on the latest version of CarPlay itself.

BTW, a substantially updated version of carplay (still compatible with our RLs) is expected in the not-too-distant future as part of iOS 13.
Thanks.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
One of these days I need to figure out how to use Apple CarPlay,
One bit of follow-up just FYI …. our vehicle's audio-nav module and display provides the 'mechanics' of the carplay interface to your phone, and therefore has a bearing on the 'speed and responsiveness' of using carplay. It is what it is and that can't be changed (some folks have cars/HUs that are faster/more responsive running carplay than our RL).

But insofar as what is seen on our screen, and the features that carplay provides … that's all a function of the carplay app on our phone, subject to change and update as that app is revised and updated.

That's why I suggest the Honda Manual for info on making the basic connection, but other more current 'generic' resources for info about carplay features themselves (what you see on your RL screen when using carplay may not 'match' the somewhat dated examples in the Honda Manual).

have fun!

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Another follow up question. Is there a way to swap them at the head unit to make the outlet in the console the CarPlay compatible one?
Based on my study of the wiring diagrams the answer is "maybe".....
  • The console USB plugs into the A-N module via 5-pin connector "F"
  • The dash USB with full phone support plugs into the A-N module via 5-pin connector "G"
  • Those two connectors appear, based on the Service Manual diagrams, to be identical in format and pin assignment.
IMO one could 'try it' (swapping the plugs at the A-N module) to see if it would work, but as always with any mod you proceed at your own risk (low risk, IMO, but I'm not gonna guarantee the result, nor guarantee that there won't be an unforeseen (bad) outcome, I've not tested it myself)

IF you want to pursue this, "F" and "G" are the two 'square' connectors adjacent to each other at the lowest-right corner of the A-N module looking at the back (no other connector below or to the right of them). Let us know what you learn! ;)

· Registered
19 RTL-E
47 Posts
Based on my study of the wiring diagrams the answer is "maybe".....
  • The console USB plugs into the A-N module via 5-pin connector "F"
  • The dash USB with full phone support plugs into the A-N module via 5-pin connector "G"
  • Those two connectors appear, based on the Service Manual diagrams, to be identical in format and pin assignment.
IMO one could 'try it' (swapping the plugs at the A-N module) to see if it would work, but as always with any mod you proceed at your own risk (low risk, IMO, but I'm not gonna guarantee the result, nor guarantee that there won't be an unforeseen (bad) outcome, I've not tested it myself)

IF you want to pursue this, "F" and "G" are the two 'square' connectors adjacent to each other at the lowest-right corner of the A-N module looking at the back (no other connector below or to the right of them). Let us know what you learn! ;)
Thanks for the info, I may have to try it, this is the only thing that I am even mildly annoyed with in the truck. I'd love to be able to plug my phone in and drop it in the sliding tray in the center console. I'm headed out of town for work or I'd be out there playing with it right now. Can't see much issue with swapping the two usb's, did it in my jeep and without issue but this thing is light years ahead in terms of technology so who knows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.