Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Will the new Ridge have as many probs as Pilot?

• Yes it will have the same & maybe more

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Yes it will have the same

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • It will have less, Honda is on it

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • It will be near perfect, it's a Honda

Votes: 3 13.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says do you guys think the RL will be as bad as the Pilot? It certainly has had it's share.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As the title says do you guys think the RL will be as bad as the Pilot? It certainly has had it's share.
Funny thing about the Internet...
It is easy to complain!
Go to any (and I mean any) auto forum and a large part of what you find are complaints... "This failed... the dealer did that... This design doesn't do this ..." Etc. etc.

All cars are designed and manufactured of mostly human means and there will be faults. Toyota had a couple of bad frames, Ford made some less than dependable Diesel engines, GM has a key switch issue, they all have issues.

Some companies are better at designing first generation autos to a more reliable point out of the box, others are better at correcting things over time.

My "guess" is that this new Ridgeline will benefit from the Pilots first year of production experience.

Honda tends to build very reliable cars. No exaggeration in that statement and I'd bet this one will be reliable too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The new RL will have issues. Some the same as the Pilot, some different.

Even the 3G Tacoma, if you go by forum posts, has issues. (vibration, transmission slipping when cold, whistle noise, cruise control, auto reset of milage tracker, etc).

As Bruce B stated Honda tends to build a good vehicle. They are not perfect. imo, the new RL will be a good truck that will fit the needs of those who do not want the off road capability of a Tacoma.

The poll should of had a choice of will have the same and different ones.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its basically based on the pilot. I look at the new RL as being a second year Pilot, based on Honda's history, they fix most of the issues the second year around. I expect there to be some minor issues maybe, but if there was anything major i would be surprised.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What's the point of this poll? Is it a hidden desire to have the Ridgeline fail? Are you going to base your decision to buy the Ridgeline based on the results of this negative hypothetical opinion poll?

The darn thing hasn't even hit the streets and already folks have declared it a failure or assuming it's going to be full of problems.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ito ruined Honda - the 2013 Civic was not recommended by Consumer's Reports, the 2015 CR-V has 1000's of people complaining of 1, 2 or 3 severe vibration problems and Honda only seems to have a band-aid fix not the final fix and adding weights to the headrests and tailgate is not a fix - it is a band-aid, Dealers spending lots of time fixing manufacturing defects on the HR-V during pre-delivery inspection, and Pilot owners complaining about the poor controls on the radio heating and air conditioning screen. 1999 and 2000 Accord's had early transmission failures, 2003, 2004 and 2005 Accords are having piston ring failures. and many 2009 and newer Pilots are having VCM related problems. and all 2009 and newer 2.4L engines seem to have an issue on startup with the VTEC control making noise on startup and the dealers are not able to fix the problem.

Just go to the CR-V, Pilot, Accord forums and see for yourself.

Honda is in crisis recovery mode and not great engineering mode.

FYI I have owned a 1976 Accord and a 1980 Accord, those cars were perfect - not a single defect and were driven for over 100,000 miles and traded in for more than I paid for them. my 1991 Accord (totaled) and 1994 Accord are better than the 2003 - 2006 Accord in fit and finish. Seat quality went south after 2003.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I worked in a small Honda repair shop in MA in the early 1980's...
I remember a lot of "less than perfect" Honda autos.
Bad camshafts in Accords were common, oil filters that blew off of engines when started cold due to malfunctioning oil pump relief valves, many, many engines needing rings replaced, fenders rusting off of cars and class action suites, CVCC drivability problems.....
I remember the cars as fun to drive, getting great fuel mileage and being somewhat quirky but not flawless....
Bruce

Reactions: Hillbilly Ridge

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the point of this poll? Is it a hidden desire to have the Ridgeline fail? Are you going to base your decision to buy the Ridgeline based on the results of this negative hypothetical opinion poll?

The darn thing hasn't even hit the streets and already folks have declared it a failure or assuming it's going to be full of problems.
Is it a hidden desire to have the Ridgeline fail? No of course not. I hope it does 10x better than it's first go around.

Are you going to base your decision to buy the Ridgeline based on the results of this negative hypothetical opinion poll?

No, but I have a great deal of respect for the opinions that are brought to the table here. I don't know much about the Pilot/Ridgeline Honda's. My experience comes from Accord, Civic, & CR-V.

Let's hope Honda really hits the ground running with the gen2

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hillbilly Ridge: Thanks for your reply and setting me straight.

Larryr, Bruce B: All I can say is that I've owned 7 Honda vehicles since 1984, including my Ridgeline. I also have family and friends who've had several Hondas in that 30+ years (Accord, Civic, Pilot, CR-V, Ridgeline). Neither me nor them have experienced the problems that has been noted. I kept most of my Hondas an average of 8 years, problem free. I currently have a 2010 Accord, 2014 Accord, and a 2011 Ridgeline that are problem free.

Maybe we've all been lucky, but I just haven't seen the problems you mentioned.

So, based on my personal experience, I have confidence that the Gen2 Ridgeline will be a reliable and quality built truck. Minor quirks initially ... yes, but nothing major or annoying.

I'm happy that there's still a Ridgeline to choose from should I want to replace my current Ridgeline.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hillbilly Ridge: Thanks for your reply and setting me straight.

Larryr, Bruce B: All I can say is that I've owned 7 Honda vehicles since 1984, including my Ridgeline. I also have family and friends who've had several Hondas in that 30+ years (Accord, Civic, Pilot, CR-V, Ridgeline). Neither me nor them have experienced the problems that has been noted. I kept most of my Hondas an average of 8 years, problem free. I currently have a 2010 Accord, 2014 Accord, and a 2011 Ridgeline that are problem free.

Maybe we've all been lucky, but I just haven't seen the problems you mentioned.

So, based on my personal experience, I have confidence that the Gen2 Ridgeline will be a reliable and quality built truck. Minor quirks initially ... yes, but nothing major or annoying.

I'm happy that there's still a Ridgeline to choose from should I want to replace my current Ridgeline.

The trap we all fall into with "personal experience" is that it is statistically insignificant. The pool of three, or even ten means nothing in terms of a field of hundreds of thousands...

Same can be said of my experience of hundreds for that matter so I am not exempt from this. My experience repairing and maintaining cars professionally has pointed this out time and time again...

I believe that the reality is, modern Hondas are as reliable (or in fact most likely are far more reliable) than any they have ever produced. This can be said of the entire industry! The bar is higher today than ever and competition is forcing manufacturers to sharpen their game.

The issues people complain about that are hurting Hondas ratings seem to mostly involve info-tainment systems that some drivers struggle with. That does not mean that Honda, like any car company hasn't laid the occasional egg... They all do! It just means that like most companies they have a history of making adjustments and moving on.

Odds are that the new Ridgeline like the majority of Hondas, will be a very reliable vehicle.

Reactions: Hillbilly Ridge

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice to see you over here from the "Air" site. You are seriously considering a GenII RL.

Smart play!

Cheers
Tony
I am seriously considering one! Our Airstream will fall easily within the probable tow ratings of the Gen 2, Ridgeline...
I actually like the new look, I've sat in a 2016 Pilot and there is more headroom than in the Ram 1500 (that amazes me btw...)
I'll check one out as soon as they are available and if it passes a couple of other "tests" I'll likely take it home!

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts