Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they do build it, i'm sure it'll be a solidly built / decent driving pickup. Unfortunately, no matter how little they may charge, VW reliability scares me. I'll be selling the g1 for a g2 in the next year or two (depending what Honda decides to build) - and there's no way i'd cross-shop a VW based solely on lack of reliability. It's cool looking though...

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
VW unibody truck rumors

Maybe the Ridgeline will get some real competition in the coming years?

https://jalopnik.com/we-may-see-a-volkswagen-pickup-truck-concept-this-week-1824071330

Btw, anybody heard anything about the Santa Cruz? There is a rumor going around that it may have quietly disappeared, and the guy who championed it at Hyundai is no longer there? At the same time, there are strong rumors that Hyundai will build a BoF global truck to compete with the HiLux, but may not be available in the U.S.?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Make it a diesel with another inch or two of ground clearance and I’m jumping ship. Nothing wrong with VW and their reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Competition for the Ridgeline from VW & Hyundai??

Another manufacturer poised as potential competition for the Ridgeline.....

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180325/OEM04/180329729/volkswagen-pickup-new-york-midsize-atlas-tennessee

FRANKFURT -- Volkswagen is considering a jump into the midsize pickup segment with a U.S.-made truck that could be built in Tennessee, sources familiar with the matter told Automotive News.

The pickup, a derivative of the Atlas large crossover, is expected to be introduced on Wednesday at the New York auto show as a surprise concept alongside a new coupe-styled variant of the Atlas already scheduled for production.

A VW spokesman declined to comment on the concept vehicle.

Volkswagen brand officials want to strengthen sales in regions such as the U.S. with more product designed for local tastes. It also plans to launch a new compact crossover for the U.S. market in 2020 based not on the sportier T-Roc sold in Europe but on the beefier "Powerful Family SUV" concept shown on Friday in Beijing.

U.S. consumers are increasingly shifting to light trucks -- notably crossovers, SUVs and pickups -- prompting automakers to dramatically retool product plans and in some cases, pare unprofitable car models from their lineups. Ford Motor Co. says an expanded light-truck lineup will account for 86 percent of its U.S. sales volume by 2020, up sharply from about 70 percent today.

In the U.S. last year, light trucks accounted for just nearly 23 percent of the VW brand's sales, compared with 64 percent for the overall light-vehicle market, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Ending chronic financial losses in the U.S. is a key part of Volkswagen brand CEO Herbert Diess' 2025 plan to turn around a unit struggling with low profitability and still marred by fallout from widespread diesel emissions violations. Last year, the VW brand paid out 13.8 billion euros ($17.05 billion) to settle fines, claims and other costs relating to the emissions scandal.
REDESIGNING THE INDUSTRY: A SPECIAL AUTOMOTIVE NEWS SERIES
The industry's future reads like a science-fiction novel

Visions and timetables vary, but it's expected that a dozen years from now, the auto business will be like a third cousin to the one we have today. Every automaker, supplier and dealership on the planet is working with a strategic Ouija board to construe the future, to itemize and organize for the radically reconstituted industry nearly everyone agrees will form between now and roughly 2030.
Read more >

If the pickup concept receives positive reviews during the New York show, it could go into production relatively soon and would be built at VW's Tennessee assembly plant, sources said. No German brand offers a pickup in the U.S. and Mercedes-Benz has decided for now not to sell a production version of the midsize X-Class in the U.S. because of cost and image concerns, among other reasons.

"Diess has supported it from a very early phase in the project," one VW official, who declined to be named because the plans are not yet public, said about the planned pickup.
VW also plans to launch a new compact crossover for the U.S. market in 2020 based on the "Powerful Family SUV" concept shown on Friday in Beijing. Photo credit: Christiaan Hetzer

More competition

Like the Atlas, the pickup would be built off the VW brand's highly scalable MQB architecture and aimed at rivals such as the Honda Ridgeline in an increasingly competitive segment. The Ford Ranger, once the top-selling midsize pickup in the U.S. but discontinued in 2011, will return next year. Hyundai is also expected to field a new pickup based on the Santa Cruz concept previewed at the 2015 Detroit auto show.

Volkswagen already markets a midsize pickup called the Amarok in other markets outside of the U.S. through its light commercial vehicles subsidiary headquartered in Hanover. However, it is designed and engineered to be a workhorse and is built on a ladder-type frame to carry heavy payloads like the overwhelming majority in the segment.

By comparison, the concept to be shown in New York will be based on a unibody platform -- similar to the Ridgeline -- and targeted more at lifestyle-oriented pickup owners who don't need to pile 1,950 pounds or more into the bed of the truck.

Made in the USA

While the idea of an emotionally styled, "Made in the USA" pickup is attractive for a brand that wants to rehabilitate itself in the eyes of American consumers, there are doubts whether a positive business case can be made for the concept.

"I don't think anyone will be able to get the cost calculation right since you need the volumes," said another company source familiar with the project. "The Atlas ... and its coming five-seat derivative can get that since both can be sold in China [as the Teramont], but a pickup like this would likely just be for the U.S. and Canadian market."

The 2019 Ridgeline, which starts at $30,965 (including shipping), produced U.S. sales of 34,749 last year. By comparison, the Atlas crossover starts at $31,675 (including shipping).

U.S. sales of midsize pickups, dominated by the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado, rose less than 1 percent to 452,335 last year compared to 2016. Deliveries have jumped 20 percent in the first two months of the year. IHS Markit doesn't expect the segment to top 480,000 sales annually through 2025.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Competition for the Ridgeline from VW & Hyundai??

More competition always better. Very interested to see what these look like...

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
VW and diesel is nomore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VW is allocating something in the neighborhood of $12 billion for electric vehicles in China, maybe this truck will receive the electric love.

Reactions: news2u and johnner

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
104 Posts
Hmm, Unibody, front wheel drive....I think I've seen that before...

Way before the Ridgeline, built in Pennsylvania from 1978-1984.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Or the Subaru BRAT!

and then the Baja!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love my Ridgeline, but I also I loved my VW. Best car I ever had. And everything in the interior was laid out and was far more intuitive than anything else I've driven. If VW brought this new truck or the Amarok here, I'd take a hard look at it.

Talking about FWD unibodies, don't forget the Dodge Rampage:

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
VW already makes a truck similar to the Ridgeline--they just do not export them to the US.

I just returned from 3 weeks in New Zealand. Saw a lot of trucks while driving around on both islands:

3 full size American made-- 2 Silverados and another which I forgot.

Almost all the trucks there are what we call mid-size, like our Ridgeline. Most were Toyota, is seemed. But there were also VW, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chevy Colorado and Ford Rangers. They all looked great--much like the Ridgeline.

Saw a few with diesel engines and a couple which I did not recognize or see their emblems. Have a picture one one which I will look at for the details.

Also a strange one--a Ford. Standard cab, bed was longer than the mid size trucks, all I saw were really low to the ground which made me think that was the way they were produced. I will also try to post a picture of me standing beside one to give an idea of how low they are.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: VW Atlas 'Tanoak' - German for 'Ridgeline'?

A multi-mode AWD system and 9.8" of ground clearance gives it a leg-up on the G2 Ridge in my opinion. It's missing the in-bed trunk and dual-action tailgate but otherwise this looks like a solid effort in the mid-size market and could go a long ways to selling folks on the idea of a uni-body truck. It will be interesting to see how far they pursue this idea.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: VW Atlas 'Tanoak' - German for 'Ridgeline'?

A multi-mode AWD system and 9.8" of ground clearance gives it a leg-up on the G2 Ridge in my opinion. It's missing the in-bed trunk and dual-action tailgate but otherwise this looks like a solid effort in the mid-size market and could go a long ways to selling folks on the idea of a uni-body truck. It will be interesting to see how far they pursue this idea.
Whether VW pursues it is really the question. I was guestimating that if G2 production was going full tilt (vs having to yield the AL production line to new Odys) at most Honda could sell 40,000-50,000 G2s a year.

So, will it make sense for VW with all it's other issues i.e. Diesel Gate, etc. to add the cost of development and tooling for the Tanoak? Especially with the Taco being a heavy #1 and the new Ranger coming on line soon...The midsize truck market is decent size overall but how much share could VW really pick up?

Assuming VW would offer their new 6 year/72k mile bumper-to-bumper, that may entice a few people if they built it...Better than Honda's wimpy 3 year/36k mile...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts