Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Ridgeline with a loud, vibrating, plastic-flapping sound coming from the rear driver side wheel well of the truck on windy days? Like an empty plastic milk jug being scrunched over and over.

I have a 2019 AWD RTL-T I picked up new earlier this year. I noticed about a week after having the truck that there would be a loud sound coming from the rear driver side of the truck on windy days when the wind is hitting that side. Like an empty plastic milk jug being scrunched over and over, but loud. I narrowed it down to the thin plastic liner in the wheel well. To be honest, a milk jug is probably thicker than that plastic. There was quite a bit of give and the liner itself is not insulated and is like a diaphragm. If I poked at it, it made that sound. Took it in to the dealer service and got it back and they told me everything was fine and they checked for loose plastic. Still made the noise. Took it back and told them that this wasn't just a little bit of noise, when the wind is blowing on that side and driving highway speeds, it was vibrating so hard and loud it could be easily be heard over the radio. They told me there were no recalls or bulletins and would try to do something with it. Dropped it off again and this time they stuffed insulation behind the plastic and zip-tied part of it to secure it. On the drive home, same thing. Just as loud, if not louder. I crawled all under it and they did have it pretty well secured and insulated now. Trying to find a part that might be oscillating. It's even done it at a stop when the wind was blowing really hard (spring in OK, sigh).

Trying to see if anyone had the same problem and has a solution. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case someone else has the same problem in the future. There was a loose bolt on a plastic shield that runs on the underside of the car ahead of the gas tank. It was flapping and hitting on the underside of the car near the back of the driver's seat. Once the bolt was tightened, the noise was gone. I gave up on the Honda service department and took it into a body shop who had no problem finding the problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think I have the same problem on my front left. Sounds like heavy foil flapping in the wind. Mostly freeway speeds. Haven't found it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
The wheel well liners on our Volvo V70 were plastic, but with a thick flocking on the side that faced the tires. It looked like the soft, loop side of industrial velcro. I think our Accord Touring has the same texture on the liners (wife is using the Accord, so I can't confirm).

I've removed both a front and rear liner from my Ridgeline to install accessories and can confirm that they are surprisingly thin and flexible. I doubt there is anything that could be applied to the tire side of the liner that would stay put, but I wonder if applying DynaMat or similar material to the back side of the OEM Ridgeline liners would reduce road noise?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,573 Posts
....I wonder if applying DynaMat or similar material to the back side of the OEM Ridgeline liners would reduce road noise?
DynaMat or similar (aka 'CLD' - Constrained Layer Dampener) serves to reduce panel resonance - noise due to the vibration of the metal (or 'rigid plastic') panel it is bonded to. To the extent that is the source of objectionable noise, it would probably help. It works by altering (lowering) the resonant frequency of those vibrating panels.

DynaMat / CLD does virtually nothing to 'block', 'reflect', or 'absorb' noise from other sources at most audible frequencies of concern - so to the extent you hope to accomplish that, it won't yield meaningful gain. E.g. it likely will have very little to no effect on reducing the noise perceived in the cabin from tire/road contact.

Note that you do not need to have 100% coverage with Dynamat / CLD to achieve optimal results - applying a 'checkerboard' of patches equal to ~30~50% of the area of the panel (biased toward the unsupported center rather than edges where the panel is prevented from vibration due to fastening against other structures) will have the desired effect of meaningfully reducing the panel's resonant frequency.

Hope that helps. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case someone else has the same problem in the future. There was a loose bolt on a plastic shield that runs on the underside of the car ahead of the gas tank. It was flapping and hitting on the underside of the car near the back of the driver's seat. Once the bolt was tightened, the noise was gone. I gave up on the Honda service department and took it into a body shop who had no problem finding the problem.
Thank you for your post I have a 2018 with the same problem. I worked on the wheel liner but that did not work. After reading your post I climbed under and looked the same bolt was loose. This bolt looked longer than those used in the rear wheel well. I added 3 washers to take up the slack and reinstalled the bolt noise is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts