Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Any else having wind noise problems ?

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wind noise that is coming from the front windshield that starts about 45mph and increases with speed . Seems to be a problem for some of us but not all of us . I thought we should start a list of owners that are having this problems and possable solutions . That way when we return the truck to the dealer we can be armed with as much info as possiable .

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Basically it starts at around 40mph and sounds like you have the fan set on hi. I've driven up to 70mph and it just seems to get louder the faster you go. This weekend I plan to duct tape around the edges of the windshield to try and track down where it's coming from. If the noise stops when it's taped up then it's the cowling or windshield seals which should be a relative easy fix by the dealer, I hope anyway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Our RTL w/moonroof is deadly silent. Almost spooky. Sure doesn't sound like a truck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an RTL with moonroof and noticed some wind noise (not sure if it's excessive or different from what others are hearing, though). I also noticed cleaning the truck this last weekend that the exterior of the windshield had several scratches on it. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but I am a little annoyed by it (they are not huge, and look like little dirt streaks but don't rub out).

BTW, I was driving home tonight and a UPS driver pulled up beside my RTL and gave me a big thumbs up with a huge grin on his face. I find that this vehicle polarizes reaction --- some guys tend to really like it and most women are not interested.

One last thing, does anyone else notice this slight operates funky with Firefox browsers?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone reporting any wind noise...what was the fix? Did anyone locate the source at least?

I can hear some wind noise, but I would not say it is excessive. It seems more than my CRV, but mainly at high speeds or with a strong cross wind which I would say is normal.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
Anyone reporting any wind noise...what was the fix? Did anyone locate the source at least?

I can hear some wind noise, but I would not say it is excessive. It seems more than my CRV, but mainly at high speeds or with a strong cross wind which I would say is normal.
I've learned it's going to be one of two things. If it sounds like it's coming from the roof then most likey it's the plastic piece on the roof above the rear window not clipped in properely in the center. If it's not clipped right it can start to lift up at speeds and its forward edge will start catching the wind. You can test this by using your fingernails and pull up gently, it should not pull up at all. I'm talking about the seam where the metal roof ends and goes to the plastic. If it does then try pressing down and you might get lucky and have the clips secure on, otherwise trip to the dealer.

The other possibility is the front windshield molding is intalled wrong in the upper corners.

My truck goes in Friday, we'll see if this turns out to be the case.

·
Registered
307 Posts
rgfcpq said:
...I find that this vehicle polarizes reaction --- some guys tend to really like it and most women are not interested.

One last thing, does anyone else notice this slight operates funky with Firefox browsers?
rgfcpq your comment causes me to admit--our RTL was the wife's decision here. She was fixin' to buy a Pilot when we heard about the Ridgeline. Put the money down, did a quick comparison the day it arrived on the lot, (NO comparison--truck was hands-down winner) and I am the beneficiary of her good sense in opting for the truck. Had it 2 weeks--she just loves it, but won't let it out of the garage (!). :D

I have to use IE to access this site--Firefox doesn't show the upper frame(s) with the username/password on them! Emailed the sysop to no response yet. :mad:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you referring the area around the moon roof, or actually around the sliding rear window?

vertrkr said:
I've learned it's going to be one of two things. If it sounds like it's coming from the roof then most likey it's the plastic piece on the roof above the rear window not clipped in properely in the center. If it's not clipped right it can start to lift up at speeds and its forward edge will start catching the wind. You can test this by using your fingernails and pull up gently, it should not pull up at all. I'm talking about the seam where the metal roof ends and goes to the plastic. If it does then try pressing down and you might get lucky and have the clips secure on, otherwise trip to the dealer.

The other possibility is the front windshield molding is intalled wrong in the upper corners.

My truck goes in Friday, we'll see if this turns out to be the case.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nope. No wind noise up to 65 MPH, no more than my Sienna. then my radio is always on. Everything is okay after 400 miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Heinrich,

My guess is he means above the rear sliding window. If you at the tonneau cover installation instructions, is shows how to remove this part, and it would indeed catch a lot of wind if not down tight. If you are have the problem, pull up that document, and check it out, you may be able to solve it yourself.

Heinrich said:
Are you referring the area around the moon roof, or actually around the sliding rear window?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
Neither, or rather inbetween them. It's the plastic body colored piece above the rear window that goes from one side to the other on the roof, the one the center brake light is in, check it's leading edge and see if it pulls up in the middle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received a phone call from Jason with Honda of America today. He asked to record the conversation then asked me detailed questions about my experience with the Ridgeline (aprox 45min. ). He knew about the wind noise from a previous call from Honda I had about my buying experience . I tried to give him an exact description of the noise he asked me to hold so he could call the service manager at the dealer I bought the Ridgeline from. Jason the coordinated a "ride along" appointment with the service manger tomorrow. The service manager asked to have the Ridge for 2 days as I am having side billets and back up sensors added . Jason the arranged for a rent a car for me .
Now I have owned several Hondas before and this is service beyond anything I experienced before .
I did mention the lack of a odmeter computer for those with a navi he seemed to be aware .

·
Registered
536 Posts
RadioShack has a small sound meter, a friend has one and I'll see if I can borrow it. My truck has some wind noise, but since the rest of the truck is so silent maybe I'm just hearing the wind more?

Anyways a meter will allow me to measure my wind noise. I might next see if I can test drive a different Ridgeline and measure it.

-W

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Whaleya said:
RadioShack has a small sound meter, a friend has one and I'll see if I can borrow it. My truck has some wind noise, but since the rest of the truck is so silent maybe I'm just hearing the wind more?

Anyways a meter will allow me to measure my wind noise. I might next see if I can test drive a different Ridgeline and measure it.

-W
Darn good thinking, I'll pick one up and measure my truck.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ridge said:
ahmmm.....I made this exact same suggestion to you on your "just got back from the dealer thread" you posted. Are you ignoring me or something? ;) :D
Opps must have missed that, sorry Ridge. Hard to keep up with all the posts, I try to read everyone and respond when I can, inevitably I'm bound to miss a few. Turns out the the darn guy didn't even drive it on the freeway and did it during a rain storm on surface streets and proclaimed there's no windnoise, in my town you can't go over 40 on any street so you'd have to go on the freeway to hear it. Sometimes you just gotta wonder what goes thru people's head.

·
Registered
993 Posts
vertrkr said:
Opps must have missed that, sorry Ridge. Hard to keep up with all the posts, I try to read everyone and respond when I can, inevitably I'm bound to miss a few. Turns out the the darn guy didn't even drive it on the freeway and did it during a rain storm on surface streets and proclaimed there's no windnoise, in my town you can't go over 40 on any street so you'd have to go on the freeway to hear it. Sometimes you just gotta wonder what goes thru people's head.
For sure, One thing I've learned is the competence level varys between mechanics in a dealers garage. There's usually one guy thats brilliant that handles all the hard stuff, and the other wrench monkeys hand off their problems to him. I happen to be friends with that guy, but unfortunatly he's a GM mechanic. I'm thinking of getting him a set of Ridgeline service manuals as an X-mass gift. :D Good luck with your poblem. I'm sure they'll get it worked out.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts