Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently had my 2019 at the dealer for wind noise. I was impressed they spent so much time checking it out and applying tape over various openings and even having their evening shift guys drive it. Several different techs and even a manager drove it all having the same conclusion... road noise. The next day, the service writer/advisor drove it while I sat in the passenger seat (what I complained about) and I was also convinced it's road noise. Unfortunately, there is nothing the dealer can do to lesson it. Manufacturers have been applying less and less sound deadener in an effort to reduce vehicle weight.
When our Ohio weather warms up above 65 degrees I will put it up on my lift and spray some Lizard Skin sound deadener under the vehicle, around the wheel wells and up into the doors. That should dampen the road noise.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
157 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
Yeah I have wind noise coming from the driver's window on my 17 Black edition, almost sounds like wind turbulence from the top corner of the window about 70mph.
Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem. I did have the dealer look at it when I had the tranny update and they quoted me 500$ to replace the window channel just on inspection ( no test drive because they said they were too busy..)

I have just been dealing with it but I am convinced the window molding it loose and catching air underneath

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The search function can be a wonderful tool: Search results for query: "wind noise"

One solution:
Bill

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
At 80 mph, some wind noise is to be expected for most vehicles. Noise is subjective and what bother one may not even be heard by another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 80 mph, s9me wind noise is to be expected for most vehicles. Noise is subjective and what bother one may not even be heard by another.
I get wind noise will be louder when you are going faster but this is different and a good bit louder. If it did it all the time I would have taken the truck back it isnt a subjective noise at all.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,490 Posts
The search function can be a wonderful tool: Search results for query: "wind noise"

One solution:
Bill
Although I somewhat agree, the ‘21 has significant design changes and since we have limited numbers of G2.5 members I am not going to merge this and suggest if you own a ‘17-‘20 G2 post in this thread

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I have wind noise coming from the driver's window on my 17 Black edition, almost sounds like wind turbulence from the top corner of the window about 70mph.
Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem. I did have the dealer look at it when I had the tranny update and they quoted me 500$ to replace the window channel just on inspection ( no test drive because they said they were too busy..)

I have just been dealing with it but I am convinced the window molding it loose and catching air underneath
Hleau, I have the same problem in the same location {2019 RTL-E). The dealer did change out my window channel under warranty. It didn't help at all.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
157 Posts
Hleau, I have the same problem in the same location {2019 RTL-E). The dealer did change out my window channel under warranty. It didn't help at all.
Figures classic dealership,

I did try the foam sealer ( EPT foam strips i think) and it didn't work.

i think I will try the door seal when the chance permits it, usually takes a day to get it assuming they don't mess up the order

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting. I thought my new 2021 Sport was "noisier" than my 2017 Touring. I believe the Touring has an "acoustic" windshield and wondered if this was the differences. The other possibility is the tires. Firestone vs Michelin. Don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 as well and I am experiencing this. It is not normal wind noise, more like a howling - and loud. It happens at speeds over 110kmh when there are head or cross winds. I haven’t checked with dealer yet but I did record it and will talk to them next week. It is loud enough that it makes the drive very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
G2.5 RL?? Convention would have the 2021 model be G2.1 due to front end re-styling...unless I somehow missed the G2.2, G2.3 and G2.4? 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 850 miles on my 2021 RTL and I have added the window rain guards. Now for full disclosure I am coming from a 2006 Gen 2 Outback that was the last of the half door that has 90,000 miles. I am mystified at the some of the complaints about this truck and especially the wind noise. My wife has a 2014 Outback with a sunroof and it has MAXIS AT 771 235/65/16 on WRX rims. Both my Subies sound like box trucks in a windstorm compared to my Ridgeline. Hell my wife keeps looking around everytime I drive us somewhere like she is getting ideas! I suppose it is relative and I do have strong tinnitus in both ears with still very good hearing. My 2 cents so enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 2021 as well and I am experiencing this. It is not normal wind noise, more like a howling - and loud. It happens at speeds over 110kmh when there are head or cross winds. I haven’t checked with dealer yet but I did record it and will talk to them next week. It is loud enough that it makes the drive very uncomfortable.
Exactly, let me know what you find out. It is a howling noise and it isnt present very often. I have only heard it on the interstate, the windier it is the more I hear it. You are right it is loud and is uncomfortable to hear. Most people that responded on this post have no idea what I was talking about. Im 64 years old and I know that the noise I was hearing was a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly, let me know what you find out. It is a howling noise and it isnt present very often. I have only heard it on the interstate, the windier it is the more I hear it. You are right it is loud and is uncomfortable to hear. Most people that responded on this post have no idea what I was talking about. Im 64 years old and I know that the noise I was hearing was a problem.
I will do. I have it going into the dealer in a couple of weeks for them to take a look at the underneath of the truck. They checked with Honda Canada and they had nothing. I actually did record it and sent the video to the dealer so they actually believe me. I have had it occur three times always highway speeds and a reasonably strong headwind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe I haven't had a strong enough headwind yet, but have hit some higher speeds and haven't noticed any abnormal wind noises in my 21 BE. Actually, find it extremely quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will do. I have it going into the dealer in a couple of weeks for them to take a look at the underneath of the truck. They checked with Honda Canada and they had nothing. I actually did record it and sent the video to the dealer so they actually believe me. I have had it occur three times always highway speeds and a reasonably strong headwind.
Yeah I recorded mine as well, i figured I would wait until someone else heard the same thing I did. I have a rental for work right now and dont really drive the truck except on weekends. I seriously doubt this is happening to a lot of the 2021's but I am glad I wasnt the only one who experienced this. I am also glad it was someone like you who actually has some common sense, Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
18 Posts
Right there with you. My '21 RTL-E is currently back at the dealer looking for a cure.

The noise is an abrupt "squeal/shriek" that occurs with a strong crosswind, either broadside or front quarter (both sides) most usually when it's "punched" by a heavy vehicle passing upwind, or a wind gust occurs. Seems to commence when crosswinds are 30mph plus.

At first the squeal seemed to originate toward the rear of the cab, so I checked and found what seemed to me to be an inordinately large gap between the rear of the roof and the top trim piece over the rear window. So first go-around with the dealer they found that the bolts holding the rear roof trim were loose. Once tightened the gap closed considerably and the noise from the rear ceased.

However on my way home from the dealer (a 348 mile r/t:() I was hit again with a right front quartering headwind and the pressure wave created by heavy vehicles caused the squawk again, but this time from the top right corner area of the windshield. After arriving home I reinspected the molding pieces that run lengthwise over the doors on both sides and found that from the forward edge of the rear doors on both sides, the black abs/plastic was loose enough to depress with my fingers. At the right front top corner of the windshield the molding was very loose and following the weather seal down to the hood I found one of the press button dzus fittings was not properly seated.

So this time the dealer has had it for 3 days and called me today to say that they believe they've sealed and tightened down any and all of the offending molding pieces. They want to drive it one more time in strong wind to ensure it gets a clean bill of health.

Disappointing. I've owned and operated Honda motorcycles ever since the first Honda 50's came ashore--current is a 2018 Goldwing DCT-- and have never had the slightest problem. But they were all built in Japan. Likewise the 2014 4Runner I traded for the '21 RTL-E never had any issues in any area from Day 1 brand new through the day I traded it. It too was built in Japan.

Have to wonder about quality control in Alabama:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding my $0.02 to show that you all are not alone. My commute consists of 30 miles each way on the interstate, heading north then west in/opposite out so I get both cross and direct winds. My 2021 RTL-E has horrendous wind noise between 70-80mph. I removed the factory crossbars with no perceived change. It's so loud I can't even listen to music or podcasts. I have about 2k miles and haven't seen a dealer yet. I will attempt to locate myself and will follow up with any success.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts