Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
It has been shown in previous vehicles that the seals on the doors are not always sealing up. Maybe try the grease trick and see if you find an area when you grease them and close the door where the grease doesn't transfer to the door jam. I'd bet on that as it's happned before on some of these vehicles. Including water leaks from those same areas coming from outside into the truck.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
18 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
Latest update.
Dealership seems to have found the noise source. On the 175 mile ride home in crosswind conditions it never squeaked once. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Some of the actions that the dealership took over the course of the two service visits:

-Tightened the mount hardware for the rear over-window trim molding. That decreased the gap between roofline and trim. Seemed to kill the rear noise sources
-Twice adjusted moonroof
-Replaced mounting clips on the two black filler trim pieces that run longitudinally over both doors (mounting grooves for roof rack) I do NOT have a roof rack.
-Replaced mounting hardware for the two sealer strips running down the outside on both sides of the windshield
-Adjusted hood
-Applied sealant to the two rubber pieces that cover the ends of the windshield trim strips.

So far, so good.

If there's a recurrence I will probably mask off roof trim junctions and fill with clear silicone.

The whole episode took me back to the 1950's vehicles that almost invariably had front "wing" windows that never seemed to seal properly and whistled merrily throughout their lives.

How far we've come since then...mostly downhill :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
YES! I purchased the 2021 RTL-E and the first time I drove on the Turnpike when I hit 80 mph I heard a "Howling / Whistling" sound at first I thought it was some kind of new warning driver safety thing but then realized it happened when going over 80 mpg. If I go over 85 mph it is almost constant. I have taken two surveys and asked that Honda contact me in both of them to no avail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right there with you. My '21 RTL-E is currently back at the dealer looking for a cure.

The noise is an abrupt "squeal/shriek" that occurs with a strong crosswind, either broadside or front quarter (both sides) most usually when it's "punched" by a heavy vehicle passing upwind, or a wind gust occurs. Seems to commence when crosswinds are 30mph plus.

At first the squeal seemed to originate toward the rear of the cab, so I checked and found what seemed to me to be an inordinately large gap between the rear of the roof and the top trim piece over the rear window. So first go-around with the dealer they found that the bolts holding the rear roof trim were loose. Once tightened the gap closed considerably and the noise from the rear ceased.

However on my way home from the dealer (a 348 mile r/t:() I was hit again with a right front quartering headwind and the pressure wave created by heavy vehicles caused the squawk again, but this time from the top right corner area of the windshield. After arriving home I reinspected the molding pieces that run lengthwise over the doors on both sides and found that from the forward edge of the rear doors on both sides, the black abs/plastic was loose enough to depress with my fingers. At the right front top corner of the windshield the molding was very loose and following the weather seal down to the hood I found one of the press button dzus fittings was not properly seated.

So this time the dealer has had it for 3 days and called me today to say that they believe they've sealed and tightened down any and all of the offending molding pieces. They want to drive it one more time in strong wind to ensure it gets a clean bill of health.

Disappointing. I've owned and operated Honda motorcycles ever since the first Honda 50's came ashore--current is a 2018 Goldwing DCT-- and have never had the slightest problem. But they were all built in Japan. Likewise the 2014 4Runner I traded for the '21 RTL-E never had any issues in any area from Day 1 brand new through the day I traded it. It too was built in Japan.

Have to wonder about quality control in Alabama:confused:
I am so glad to find out I'm not the only one I have a 2021 RTL-E. every time I'm on the interstate over 80 mph it start " Howling " over 5 mph it is constant. I must admit it's keeping me closer to the speed limit but it is so annoying and I'm afraid its going to get worse in time.
Please let me know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Adding to the posts regarding 2021 wind noise. On interstate, windy day, at 60 + MPH the howling begins. At 70 it is almost constant and loud. Can't seem to pinpoint it. To me it sound like dash, to my passenger, sounded like rear of cab. Seems this is now an issue for us 2021 RL owners. I plan to call the dealership, but I don't have much faith in the dealer resolving this issue. I think this is something for the Honda engineers to figure out.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
18 Posts
I am so glad to find out I'm not the only one I have a 2021 RTL-E. every time I'm on the interstate over 80 mph it start " Howling " over 5 mph it is constant. I must admit it's keeping me closer to the speed limit but it is so annoying and I'm afraid its going to get worse in time.
Please let me know what the dealer says.
OK. I've alluded to the actions they took, but here are the direct quotes from the completed service orders on 4/21 and 4/23-4/4/28:

4/21:

"#1 - 60HZ: Interior trim.
Customer states there is a high pitched screech with crosswind, possible from the rear roof area, or passing vehicle

Adjusted front & rear doors * left windshield molding clip not clipped down in middle * roof spoiler bolts loose * rubber on top of rr door was off in middle * adjusted sunroof and hood was making
noise * test drove sounds normal now * sun glasses in holder making noise when driving *"

4/23:

"#1 - 60HZ: Interior trim
Customer states there is a wind noise coming from the vehicle while driving against cross wind. Noticed that passenger roof rail molding is loose. Both sides are loose. Check and advise.

Put new roof rail clips on and installed foam in gaps on Mohican strips. Put double back tape on lower corners of the windshield moldings. Readjusted moonroof. Test driven multiple times.
Noise is no longer present.

#3 - 61HOZ: Exterior trim
Customer states the moldings on the bottom corner on the windshield are loose. Check and advise.

Put double back tape on the lower corners on"

It was quiet as a mouse all the 175 miles home. In fairness the wind conditions weren't as typically awful as when I began noticing the noise, but to compensate on the 4 lane I "hung out" in the pressure wave of the semi's that I passed for a bit to see if the buffet would reawaken the banshee. Didn't seem to faze it.

When I purchased the vehicle I noted the rear down-curve of the roofline and the somewhat conflicting side trim pieces that create a Bernoulli channel delight. Still wondering if it's the design that's the root cause rather than the obviously sloppy QA in Alabama. Or perhaps they complement each other?:eek:

Now you know it all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK. I've alluded to the actions they took, but here are the direct quotes from the completed service orders on 4/21 and 4/23-4/4/28:

4/21:

"#1 - 60HZ: Interior trim.
Customer states there is a high pitched screech with crosswind, possible from the rear roof area, or passing vehicle

Adjusted front & rear doors * left windshield molding clip not clipped down in middle * roof spoiler bolts loose * rubber on top of rr door was off in middle * adjusted sunroof and hood was making
noise * test drove sounds normal now * sun glasses in holder making noise when driving *"

4/23:

"#1 - 60HZ: Interior trim
Customer states there is a wind noise coming from the vehicle while driving against cross wind. Noticed that passenger roof rail molding is loose. Both sides are loose. Check and advise.

Put new roof rail clips on and installed foam in gaps on Mohican strips. Put double back tape on lower corners of the windshield moldings. Readjusted moonroof. Test driven multiple times.
Noise is no longer present.

#3 - 61HOZ: Exterior trim
Customer states the moldings on the bottom corner on the windshield are loose. Check and advise.

Put double back tape on the lower corners on"

It was quiet as a mouse all the 175 miles home. In fairness the wind conditions weren't as typically awful as when I began noticing the noise, but to compensate on the 4 lane I "hung out" in the pressure wave of the semi's that I passed for a bit to see if the buffet would reawaken the banshee. Didn't seem to faze it.

When I purchased the vehicle I noted the rear down-curve of the roofline and the somewhat conflicting side trim pieces that create a Bernoulli channel delight. Still wondering if it's the design that's the root cause rather than the obviously sloppy QA in Alabama. Or perhaps they complement each other?:eek:

Now you know it all.
Thanks for sharing this information, however, it's a bummer that the dealer seemed to "tape things down" to fix the noise issue. I'm not a fan of the fix. Hope Honda puts out a TSB to provide a more technical fix. thanks again.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information, however, it's a bummer that the dealer seemed to "tape things down" to fix the noise issue. I'm not a fan of the fix. Hope Honda puts out a TSB to provide a more technical fix. thanks again.
:)

I'm not much a fan of the bubble gum and baling wire school of maintenance either, but at least it's all entered into the record via "official" Honda database entries.

I'm absolutely sure that the rear roof camber and trim overhang create an area of low pressure directly behind the rear window. Add to that the curiously protruding rear window corner molding pieces and we have a situation not dissimilar to the configurations that generate aerodynamic wingtip vortices on aircraft.

I've opened the rear window (and all other window combinations) during various screech sessions and it had no effect. That leads me to believe it's wind turbulence over irregular roof surfaces that's the root cause (assuming all parts are properly installed and tightened down). If my dealer's "fix" doesn't hold or stand up to extreme wind conditions I will probably seal all trim joints with a careful bead of clear silicone.

If that doesn't cure it I will be reduced to simply repainting it haze gray and put F-14 Tomcat squadron markings on it. At least then the sound will be authentic😁

If you can't lick 'em...🙃.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:)

I'm not much a fan of the bubble gum and baling wire school of maintenance either, but at least it's all entered into the record via "official" Honda database entries.

I'm absolutely sure that the rear roof camber and trim overhang create an area of low pressure directly behind the rear window. Add to that the curiously protruding rear window corner molding pieces and we have a situation not dissimilar to the configurations that generate aerodynamic wingtip vortices on aircraft.

I've opened the rear window (and all other window combinations) during various screech sessions and it had no effect. That leads me to believe it's wind turbulence over irregular roof surfaces that's the root cause (assuming all parts are properly installed and tightened down). If my dealer's "fix" doesn't hold or stand up to extreme wind conditions I will probably seal all trim joints with a careful bead of clear silicone.

If that doesn't cure it I will be reduced to simply repainting it haze gray and put F-14 Tomcat squadron markings on it. At least then the sound will be authentic😁

If you can't lick 'em...🙃.
Ha. thanks for the reply. Hopefully the engineers at Honda recognize this issue and provide a legitimate solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't noticed from reading through this thread how many of you have the hood protector? Is this noise present in those with AND/OR without the protector?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
157 Posts
I have a 2017 and with an AVS sunvisor it actually make it better, I think there is a gap that was causing pressure buffering like when there is a crosswind and the visor disrupts it. Still have to deal with visor wind noise better( although I think it might be the windows molding starting to lift)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Follow up regarding howling at high speeds. I took my 21 RL on the freeway. No cross wind, so the howling didn't occur until 80MPH. I did contact Honda America and got the following reply for what it is worth.

Thank you for allowing Honda Automobile Customer Service the opportunity of responding to your message. We genuinely value you as a Honda customer and we appreciate the opportunity of responding to your inquiry.

We will document your feedback regarding the noise that your 2021 Honda Ridgeline makes and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Honda strives to produce vehicles which exceed our customer's expectations and your insight assists us in fully understanding consumer perspective. This includes developing products, future design, options combinations, dealer training, and marketing.

Upon further research and using the VIN provided (5FPYK3F74MBxxxx), there are no open safety recalls for your vehicle. Moreover, there are no warranty extensions or known issues regarding this matter.

We welcome you to contact us with any additional comments or questions.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Case # 12117965

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
18 Posts
I haven't noticed from reading through this thread how many of you have the hood protector? Is this noise present in those with AND/OR without the protector?
Nope. Not a member of the hood...protectors... :)

No roof rack, running boards or any other accoutrement that might elevate the drag count.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES! I purchased the 2021 RTL-E and the first time I drove on the Turnpike when I hit 80 mph I heard a "Howling / Whistling" sound at first I thought it was some kind of new warning driver safety thing but then realized it happened when going over 80 mpg. If I go over 85 mph it is almost constant. I have taken two surveys and asked that Honda contact me in both of them to no avail.
Yes I too have a 2021 RTL-E the noise is strange I also thouhgt it was a some type of safety waring after 80MPH but it happend at 70MPH too. Sort of deep howling type noise in a short burst.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new (2021) RTL-E that has a loud howling noise at 70 - 75 mph. Strong headwinds bring it on at lower speeds. I took it to the dealer and they adjusted the moonroof, to no avail. It's now back at the dealership where it's been for over a week! They've re-installed the windshield, moldings, etc., none of which has worked. They have a Honda rep coming to look at it Monday. Very frustrating, only 1,200 miles on it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2021 Black Edition and this has happened twice. Both times on the same highway travelling in the same direction and starting anywhere between 95 and 115 km/h. In my case, it sounds like it's coming from the front, driver's side quarter panel or door area. Like others, I thought that it had something to do with one of the safety features, but turning them each off made no difference. I then became convinced that it was some kind of wind noise and this thread would seem to confirm that. At least I now have more specifics for the dealer to use to investigate.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts