Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Good to hear that ! I figured it was those seals. As that's been shown previously to be the problem. Again, inconsistent manufacturing at the factory causing problems. They need to get it under control.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After 12 days at the dealership, I have my 2021 RTL-E back and the wind howl is gone. At least on the 70 mile trip home, at freeway speeds of 75 - 80, it was all quiet. They replaced and re-sealed the windshield and in the process, noticed that the driver side molding was coming up and appeared defective. They replaced the molding, which it appears was the culprit all along. At some point the dealer notified Honda and a "Tech" came out, inspected the truck and determined there were no apparent defects involving the integrity of the vehicle itself. I gather that Honda America is not much help in these matters and dealers are left with figuring out what's causing the problem, which in my case was a loud howling noise at 70 mph and above.
Thank you, OhBoy74. Would you please take a photo of the specific "drivers side molding"? thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you, OhBoy74. Would you please take a photo of the specific "drivers side molding"? thank you.

Pictured is "ext trim mldg" - Invoice stated: "After windshield was removed, found the driver side molding to be coming up causing the howling noise. Removed the windshield and repaired the driver side molding that was coming up. Resealed the windshield and re-installed the driver molding".

I might add that while the invoice states the molding was repaired, the service mgr. told me it was broken (presumably from the assembly line) and wouldn't fasten properly so they (dealer) re-installed a new molding. Invoice lists part numbers:
(1) 73150-TG7-A01 MLDG, FR. 75120
(1) 73162-TG7-A01 GARNISH, 73840

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
I have been experiencing this exact same issue, but at a lower speed (~75 mph). Usually in times of high wind, and it's not a steady whine, but a intermittent noise based upon the wind gusts. I also suspected the new vents in the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been experiencing this exact same issue, but at a lower speed (~75 mph). Usually in times of high wind, and it's not a steady whine, but a intermittent noise based upon the wind gusts. I also suspected the new vents in the front.
Pretty much describes mine - the whine (I called it a howl) would start at 70 mph and be intermittent, worse with wind gusts. I too suspected the new vents so I ducktaped them shut - there was no change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty much describes mine - the whine (I called it a howl) would start at 70 mph and be intermittent, worse with wind gusts. I too suspected the new vents so I ducktaped them shut - there was no change.
I just left my 2021 RTL-E at the dealer yesterday. There Master Mechanic some Honda big wig made a special trip to the dealership and a couple more mechanics took it on the turnpike and did here the howling at around 80 mph. they drove it a few times with different people and can not figure it out. The did give me a rental and told me to hang in there and they will get it figured out.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Grease the seals. See which ones transfer the pattern to the door jam. Easy.

Ever see a body man adjust doors on a vehicle after a wreck ? They bend them basically into position. That's what needs to be done here. Take it to a body shop. OUTSIDE OF HONDA. There was a guy on here who did just that. They had it fixed in an hour and was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 413570

Pictured is "ext trim mldg" - Invoice stated: "After windshield was removed, found the driver side molding to be coming up causing the howling noise. Removed the windshield and repaired the driver side molding that was coming up. Resealed the windshield and re-installed the driver molding".

I might add that while the invoice states the molding was repaired, the service mgr. told me it was broken (presumably from the assembly line) and wouldn't fasten properly so they (dealer) re-installed a new molding. Invoice lists part numbers:
(1) 73150-TG7-A01 MLDG, FR. 75120
(1) 73162-TG7-A01 GARNISH, 73840
I just came back from a windy vacation in my 2021 RTL-E. It sounds like I'm sitting next to someone playing a couple of notes on a flute (in my ear). I took it into the dealer that I purchased it from armed with a copy of your post and 3 videos of the noise while driving. Granted, I could not identify the source of the noise, just that it was coming from the front of me while driving.

I just got a call from the "service advisor" assigned to my vehicle. He informed me that he had 2 techs drive it on country roads and neither could replicate the noise. I'm in California (speed limit 65mph). He then told me that his techs were prohibited from driving over the speed limit and that it was Honda's policy that their techs cannot repair anything that they could not replicate in a test drive. He said they need to pinpoint where the noise was coming from with blue tape. Really?
How do you drive a truck at freeway speed in high winds and carefully examine the window seals for leaks with blue tape?

This dealership was the very first Honda car dealer in the United States.

I would greatly appreciate any advise as to how I can get this fixed?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
I just came back from a windy vacation in my 2021 RTL-E. It sounds like I'm sitting next to someone playing a couple of notes on a flute (in my ear). I took it into the dealer that I purchased it from armed with a copy of your post and 3 videos of the noise while driving. Granted, I could not identify the source of the noise, just that it was coming from the front of me while driving.

I just got a call from the "service advisor" assigned to my vehicle. He informed me that he had 2 techs drive it on country roads and neither could replicate the noise. I'm in California (speed limit 65mph). He then told me that his techs were prohibited from driving over the speed limit and that it was Honda's policy that their techs cannot repair anything that they could not replicate in a test drive. He said they need to pinpoint where the noise was coming from with blue tape. Really?
How do you drive a truck at freeway speed in high winds and carefully examine the window seals for leaks with blue tape?

This dealership was the very first Honda car dealer in the United States.

I would greatly appreciate any advise as to how I can get this fixed?
The blue tape (painter's tape, doesn't leave residue) is one of the methods for finding wind noise. You simply and methodically tape off different areas at different times, going for drives in between to see if the noise disappears.

You can start with big areas, then work your way down to pinpoint areas. It is what I would do to find a leaking seal or improperly-installed weatherstripping, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The blue tape (painter's tape, doesn't leave residue) is one of the methods for finding wind noise. You simply and methodically tape off different areas at different times, going for drives in between to see if the noise disappears.

You can start with big areas, then work your way down to pinpoint areas. It is what I would do to find a leaking seal or improperly-installed weatherstripping, etc.
Unfortunately I cannot get a tech to drive my truck under the conditions which the noise occurs. Even if I were to be able to tape it off and locate the spot myself, they won't put in the effort. And they won't go out with me to attempt to replicate it. I expected more from the nation's first Honda dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer took the wind noise matter seriously, however, they were also bent on replicating it. I had two videos for them but on that day I learned the howl didn't occur while it was raining. I waited until a cool windy day came along and I drove my RTL-E straight to the dealer - it howled for most of the 70 mile trip in and the tech was able to replicate it. They were persistent, had it for 12 straight days and kept at it until they found the defective molding. I also filled out a ticket with Honda America - they responded but didn't have much to offer, said they rely on their dealers. I'd say be persistent; if your dealer doesn't come through for you, make some noise and knock on more doors until you get action.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer took the wind noise matter seriously, however, they were also bent on replicating it. I had two videos for them but on that day I learned the howl didn't occur while it was raining. I waited until a cool windy day came along and I drove my RTL-E straight to the dealer - it howled for most of the 70 mile trip in and the tech was able to replicate it. They were persistent, had it for 12 straight days and kept at it until they found the defective molding. I also filled out a ticket with Honda America - they responded but didn't have much to offer, said they rely on their dealers. I'd say be persistent; if your dealer doesn't come through for you, make some noise and knock on more doors until you get action.
Do you know the names of the service staff involved in your repair? When was it done and what is the name and location of the dealer? My dealer thinks I'm making this up.......

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer: Luther St. Cloud, Honda, 1500 Hwy 23, Waite Park, MN 56387. Service Advisor: "Jimmy". (I do not know the names of all the service staff involved) Date of service: I left my RTL-E at the dealer on 04/29/21 and picked it up on 05/11/21.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer: Luther St. Cloud, Honda, 1500 Hwy 23, Waite Park, MN 56387. Service Advisor: "Jimmy". (I do not know the names of all the service staff involved) Date of service: I left my RTL-E at the dealer on 04/29/21 and picked it up on 05/11/21.
Thank you for the "when, where, how and who"! I'm trying find a dealer that is located in a very windy location. That's tough to come by here in the SF bay area......

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
258 Posts
Funny story, we had a 2006 Odyssey we bought used back about 2011. On the first test drive I thought I heard a faint "whistling noise" at certain speeds coming from the front/dash area. Couldnt figure out what it was but it wasnt that bothersome. Over the next few years, we would hear it on and off at highway speeds - my wife called i "the little birdie" in the dash.
Later on, we wound up needing to get the front windshield replaced for some reason (maybe chip/spider crack, but cant remember exactly). Anyhow, we had a mobile windshield guy come out to our house and do it. He was significantly cheaper than the dealer or other auto glass places. While replacing the window my wife was observing at how it worked (he cut out the old window which was place with a sealant bead), and was remarking in passing that the old window seemed to have a noise which we could never quite pinpoint. After he removed the old windshield, he pointed out to us a place where the sealant wasnt quite complete - there was like a very tiny gap or line in the sealent which effectively left a tiny spot where there was a open tube from outside to inside in the sealant.
Apparently this little gap was in there from the factory applied sealant & windshield, and was certainly the cause of the noise. It was completely gone for the remaining year or so we owned that Odyssey.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a similar story to zerog2k. This does sound similar to my previous Frontier. I had to have the windshield replaced after a rock chip at the beginning of a road trip spidered across the whole thing by the end of the trip. I had Safelite replace it and after replacement, only at highway speeds and at certain cross winds, it would make a Helmholtz resonance type sound. I got them to come back out and drove up and down a section of the highway near my house with a Safelite tech crawling around the cabin listening for the sound. He basically surmised they didn't properly seal the top of the windshield when replacing it. He had a new windshield with him, swapped it out and I never had an issue with it again. If nothing seems obvious with trim or mouldings, I would definitely check the seal of the windshield.

The other thing that stinks about these types of things is that it may be caused by a couple of different things. Best of luck to everyone that has this issue. I know how frustrating it can be to have a new vehicle and have it not be perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
We are having a similar issue with our 2021 Ridgeline. Honda Service has replaced seal around sun roof and have scheduled to replace seal around windshield. It is excessively loud but does not happen all the time. When it does it is very distracting and annoying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are having a similar issue with our 2021 Ridgeline. Honda Service has replaced seal around sun roof and have scheduled to replace seal around windshield. It is excessively loud but does not happen all the time. When it does it is very distracting and annoying.
Could you let me know the name of the dealership, the name of the service manager, the dates of the service and description of the work done? Honda thinks we are making this up so I'm trying to show proof that the problem exists on a dealer level. Apparently only a hand full of dealers are aware of it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a really loud noise develop at 70 mph. The passenger side B-pillar cover/trim had loosened and was catching air. Automotive trim adhesive and a clamp resolved it.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts