Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 413570

Pictured is "ext trim mldg" - Invoice stated: "After windshield was removed, found the driver side molding to be coming up causing the howling noise. Removed the windshield and repaired the driver side molding that was coming up. Resealed the windshield and re-installed the driver molding".

I might add that while the invoice states the molding was repaired, the service mgr. told me it was broken (presumably from the assembly line) and wouldn't fasten properly so they (dealer) re-installed a new molding. Invoice lists part numbers:
(1) 73150-TG7-A01 MLDG, FR. 75120
(1) 73162-TG7-A01 GARNISH, 73840
I want to edit my comments below. I tried the tape strategy again to be sure the issue was related to the windshield molding. For me it was NOT. At 75-80 the howling was very pronounced. I will have to take it into the dealer, who told me they are not aware of any such noise issues. I took a recording and will ask them to test drive at highway speeds.

I am very worried, however, that I had the truck leveled 1.5" with the Traxda kit. I hope the noise I am hearing is not related to the CV joints. That would really suck!

Chuck P.
Car Automotive side-view mirror Sky Vehicle Window

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would those of you who have had this issue say it’s a high noise or a low noise?

I’ve heard more of a low humming that comes with a little vibration a couple times since I bought my Ridgeline, but it’s always been at lower speeds. It happens for a few seconds and then goes away. Very intermittent. This is the only thread I have found that seems like it may be related.

It seemed to me like it was from the driver side front of the vehicle, or maybe from under the hood. Really, really hoping it’s not something transmission or engine related.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would those of you who have had this issue say it’s a high noise or a low noise?

I’ve heard more of a low humming that comes with a little vibration a couple times since I bought my Ridgeline, but it’s always been at lower speeds. It happens for a few seconds and then goes away. Very intermittent. This is the only thread I have found that seems like it may be related.

It seemed to me like it was from the driver side front of the vehicle, or maybe from under the hood. Really, really hoping it’s not something transmission or engine related.
The noise I am hearing is definitely a wind howling sound that only happens at highway speeds, >65mph on open roads with lots of cross wind.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Many have described it as a "howling" noise and it is quite loud at high speeds. For me, it sounds like someone blowing constantly on a flute. It is related to wind as it happens more often under windy conditions. It is very difficult to pinpoint but it does seem to be coming from in front of the driver, although I've not been a passenger in my ridgeline.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, thank you both. I’m going to have to gather a little more info, from what you’re both saying I’m likely hearing something different. I’ll probably try painters tape along the windshield sides just in case to eliminate the possibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say mine was a higher pitched noise, like from a flute. I was going to post a sound bite of it but it doesn't appear this site will accept video. The drivers side windshield trim molding was the culprit and my RTL-E no longer whistles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter's 2021 RTL has the same noise at highway speeds. The truck has been at the dealership for 9 days and the last text message from the Honda Tech indicted he was told by engineers to remove "all the trim" and start troubleshooting all over again. The Tech has been driving the truck back and forth to work each day, approximtely 100miles round trip, to test at interstate speeds. I can't believe that Honda has not done a deep dive into developing a solution to this very frustrating problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
Drove my 2021 RTL-E off the lot this morning. On the way home, noticed a loud whistling sound coming from the right, top corner of the windshield that drowned out the music in the cab. This is not a passive wind noise. The sound is harsh and shrill. The sound disappeared upon rolling down any window or cracking the sunroof but reappeared with closure. It appears above 70 mph or with strong wind gusts. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow will update then.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
175 Posts
My daughter's 2021 RTL has the same noise at highway speeds. The truck has been at the dealership for 9 days and the last text message from the Honda Tech indicted he was told by engineers to remove "all the trim" and start troubleshooting all over again. The Tech has been driving the truck back and forth to work each day, approximtely 100miles round trip, to test at interstate speeds. I can't believe that Honda has not done a deep dive into developing a solution to this very frustrating problem!
Absolutely would not let a tech take my vehicle home. That sounds unprofessional and like a huge liability for the tech at the least. Surprised any dealer allows this to happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought my 2021 BE and experienced the same problem - a howling noise above 50-60mph. Depending on the speed and direction of the wind this howling can get very noisy. Based on the posts on this thread I was able to identify the cause of the problem which is a gap between the driver's side windshield trim piece and the A-pillar. You can see this gap in the attached photo.

When I covered this gap with painter's tape the howling completely disappears. I will be taking this issue to my dealership and will update when resolved.

Update - I finally had the dealer replace my driver's side windshield trim and the howling noise did not present itself on the drive home at highway speeds, so hopefully the problem is resolved. Reading the other posts on this topic I feel like I got off lucky. Too many 2021 drivers are having noise issues from other parts of their windshield that are much harder to rectify.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove my 2021 RTL-E off the lot this morning. On the way home, noticed a loud whistling sound coming from the right, top corner of the windshield that drowned out the music in the cab. This is not a passive wind noise. The sound is harsh and shrill. The sound disappeared upon rolling down any window or cracking the sunroof but reappeared with closure. It appears above 70 mph or with strong wind gusts. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow will update then.
Update
Dealer could not reproduce. Referred me to a windshield "guy" that does the warranty work. I'm trying to pinpoint the noise with the tape method. I was mistaken the noise does not stop after opening a window.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Many have described it as a "howling" noise and it is quite loud at high speeds. For me, it sounds like someone blowing constantly on a flute. It is related to wind as it happens more often under windy conditions. It is very difficult to pinpoint but it does seem to be coming from in front of the driver, although I've not been a passenger in my ridgeline.
Hope this link works. You can hear the howling over 65 mph.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
232 Posts
Oh wow! sounds like a tone deaf snake charmer tryna get attention!

Sounds like the sound could be resonating from something vibrating though the body panels, very interesting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope this link works. You can hear the howling over 65 mph.

That's exactly what my 2021 RTL-E sounded like this spring! They replaced the windshield and in the process discovered that the drivers side molding was defective - they replaced the molding and wala, it's fixed:)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
I wonder why it is happening on the 2021 model year and not other years? Did Honda get a different supplier for the window trim? I had other issues with the trim on my 2017, but never howling at high speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. When traveling down the interstate two different times I heard a rather loud noise that I beleive is some kind of wind noise. Both times I was going around 80 mph and had other vehicles around me and it was kind of windy outside. I know the 2021 truck has some vents in front of the wheels that are new to this year. Has anyone else heard this noise?
There are hundreds of us out there I expect. Stay on them until it is fixed!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah I recorded mine as well, i figured I would wait until someone else heard the same thing I did. I have a rental for work right now and dont really drive the truck except on weekends. I seriously doubt this is happening to a lot of the 2021's but I am glad I wasnt the only one who experienced this. I am also glad it was someone like you who actually has some common sense, Thanks.
There are decibel-measuring apps available for smartphones. You should "see" the noise spike, though not sure how that'd help you much. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I encountered the same sound as @cdpar2000 on a road trip with similar wind conditions (also 2021 RTL-E), the only difference being mine plays a higher note on the flute. It's incredibly annoying and loud. It's also difficult to reproduce, so I haven't worked up enough patience to take it back to the dealer again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's exactly what my 2021 RTL-E sounded like this spring! They replaced the windshield and in the process discovered that the drivers side molding was defective - they replaced the molding and wala, it's fixed:)
Here's my video (I used your technique so I hope it works).

61 - 80 of 94 Posts