Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want to edit my comments below. I tried the tape strategy again to be sure the issue was related to the windshield molding. For me it was NOT. At 75-80 the howling was very pronounced. I will have to take it into the dealer, who told me they are not aware of any such noise issues. I took a recording and will ask them to test drive at highway speeds.

I am very worried, however, that I had the truck leveled 1.5" with the Traxda kit. I hope the noise I am hearing is not related to the CV joints. That would really suck!

Chuck P. View attachment 414142
This is the same exact problem I have on my 2021 Black Edition. It is real!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought my 2021 BE and experienced the same problem - a howling noise above 50-60mph. Depending on the speed and direction of the wind this howling can get very noisy. Based on the posts on this thread I was able to identify the cause of the problem which is a gap between the driver's side windshield trim piece and the A-pillar. You can see this gap in the attached photo.

When I covered this gap with painter's tape the howling completely disappears. I will be taking this issue to my dealership and will update when resolved.

View attachment 415068
Update
I spoke with the dealer and they agreed to replace the driver's side windshield trim. Unfortunately the part is on backorder with no estimated restock date. For the past month I have kept a piece of painter's tape over the gap (covered by some black electrical tape so it is not so obvious) and the howling and whistling sounds have not returned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on mine in case the info helps: I taped up everywhere I could think of that might cause it. Given this thread, I started with the driver side trim from under the hood to over the top, then the passenger side, then the moon roof, then everywhere else on the roof that might be leaking, including even the shark fin antenna. With all of that on, it still happened. This whole time I was doing laps on a specific section of toll road where I could easily reproduce the noise and really got my wallet burning.

Finally taped across the top of the windshield and it was gone.

I’ve reproduced this problem for hours on long drives now. The noise starts based on wind speed and direction, I pull over and tape across the top of the windshield—not including where it meets the trim at the ends—no more noise. I drive for a while with the tape on to confirm, then remove the tape, get up to 70-75 or so, the noise starts back up. I always repeat a few times for confirmation that it wasn’t just a coincidental wind change.

I drove to the dealer with the tape still on. They got around to reproducing it a few days later, but claimed it was the AC. I had already tested that (and the noise is coming from the top of the cab) but now I’ve tested it again in every possible configuration. AC settings make no difference. Opening/closing windows does.

It sounds like it’s coming from under the headliner. Opening the cover on the moon roof makes it audibly louder, as does putting my hand up to the moon roof vertically to direct the sound to my ear. There’s a few-inch gap between the headliner and the moon roof when the cover is open, so if the windshield is making noise up there, it seems the sound would carry under the headliner to that opening.

Seems to me to be pointing to defective molding or a bad windshield install.

Dropping it off at the dealership for the third time on Monday with a written report of all of this, which I’m hoping they won’t ignore the same way they ignored the tape except for removing it, and my previous descriptions of symptoms and troubleshooting.

Edit: adding video

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update on mine in case the info helps: I taped up everywhere I could think of that might cause it. Given this thread, I started with the driver side trim from under the hood to over the top, then the passenger side, then the moon roof, then everywhere else on the roof that might be leaking, including even the shark fin antenna. With all of that on, it still happened. This whole time I was doing laps on a specific section of toll road where I could easily reproduce the noise and really got my wallet burning.

Finally taped across the top of the windshield and it was gone.

I’ve reproduced this problem for hours on long drives now. The noise starts based on wind speed and direction, I pull over and tape across the top of the windshield—not including where it meets the trim at the ends—no more noise. I drive for a while with the tape on to confirm, then remove the tape, get up to 70-75 or so, the noise starts back up. I always repeat a few times for confirmation that it wasn’t just a coincidental wind change.

I drove to the dealer with the tape still on. They got around to reproducing it a few days later, but claimed it was the AC. I had already tested that (and the noise is coming from the top of the cab) but now I’ve tested it again in every possible configuration. AC settings make no difference. Opening/closing windows does.

It sounds like it’s coming from under the headliner. Opening the cover on the moon roof makes it audibly louder, as does putting my hand up to the moon roof vertically to direct the sound to my ear. There’s a few-inch gap between the headliner and the moon roof when the cover is open, so if the windshield is making noise up there, it seems the sound would carry under the headliner to that opening.

Seems to me to be pointing to defective molding or a bad windshield install.

Dropping it off at the dealership for the third time on Monday with a written report of all of this, which I’m hoping they won’t ignore the same way they ignored the tape except for removing it, and my previous descriptions of symptoms and troubleshooting.

Edit: adding video

Hello Space,
I totally agree with your findings. This is exactly what I did with the painter's tape and found the noise is associated with the top of the windshield. In fact, as the noise is occurring I pressed on inside of windshield near rearview mirror and I could change the sound of the noise. Mine goes into dealer on Sept7th. I'll keep you updated.
My concern however, is that Honda doesn't appear to be aware of this issue, so we are at the mercy of each dealer and their techs.
I'm in contact with Honda about this; Kostantina Romm <[email protected]> and this person wants my feedback after I visit the dealer next week. I assume you can reach out to this person at Honda as well with your experience with the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Space,
I totally agree with your findings. This is exactly what I did with the painter's tape and found the noise is associated with the top of the windshield. In fact, as the noise is occurring I pressed on inside of windshield near rearview mirror and I could change the sound of the noise. Mine goes into dealer on Sept7th. I'll keep you updated.
My concern however, is that Honda doesn't appear to be aware of this issue, so we are at the mercy of each dealer and their techs.
I'm in contact with Honda about this; Kostantina Romm <[email protected]> and this person wants my feedback after I visit the dealer next week. I assume you can reach out to this person at Honda as well with your experience with the dealer.

I had the exact same noise experience with my 2021 Ridgeline. I also isolated the noise to the top of the windshield using the painters tape. Took it to Honda and they said they couldn't reproduce the noise at lawful speeds while driving (which is true). They said that the soapy water did not reveal any leaks either. They acted like it was just something I was going to have to live with. I was very upset. But, here's the good part.....my son was driving it and got hit in the windshield by a rock and we got the windshield replaced by Safelite Auto glass via an insurance claim. It fixed the problem 100%. There is a manufacturing problem with the sealant in the original glass. Honda needs to be responsible for this for the rest of you guys having this issue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info, both of you. I’ll update once I have more info as well.

Took it to Honda and they said they couldn't reproduce the noise at lawful speeds while driving (which is true).
For what it’s worth, reproducing the noise doesn’t require exceeding posted speed limits where I’m testing. They won’t be able to use that excuse here.

Given how much time I’ve sunk into this already, the frustrated side of me has absolutely been tempted to smash the windshield and pay for a new one out of pocket and see if that fixes it. I’d rather not find out what the availability of a replacement acoustic windshield looks like right now, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info, both of you. I’ll update once I have more info as well.

For what it’s worth, reproducing the noise doesn’t require exceeding posted speed limits where I’m testing. They won’t be able to use that excuse here.

Given how much time I’ve sunk into this already, the frustrated side of me has absolutely been tempted to smash the windshield and pay for a new one out of pocket and see if that fixes it. I’d rather not find out what the availability of a replacement acoustic windshield looks like right now, though.
I had those same thoughts. I even called a local glass place and asked how much they would charge to remove and reinstall the original windshield, but they said they wouldn't do it because of the high risk of it breaking while being removed. The cost of the windshield to insurance when Safelite replaced it was $1250. Yikes

·
Registered
10 Posts
As of yesterday American Honda has zero info. on this problem. It took them 4 months to respond to my claim but they are still unable to act as there is no recall, service bulletin or dealer documentation (reaching American Honda). The rep. handling my case recommended that I continue to search for a Honda dealer near an interstate (so I can replicate the noise consistently). My local dealer heard the noise 4 months ago but was unable to replicate it consistently.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had the exact same noise experience with my 2021 Ridgeline. I also isolated the noise to the top of the windshield using the painters tape. Took it to Honda and they said they couldn't reproduce the noise at lawful speeds while driving (which is true). They said that the soapy water did not reveal any leaks either. They acted like it was just something I was going to have to live with. I was very upset. But, here's the good part.....my son was driving it and got hit in the windshield by a rock and we got the windshield replaced by Safelite Auto glass via an insurance claim. It fixed the problem 100%. There is a manufacturing problem with the sealant in the original glass. Honda needs to be responsible for this for the rest of you guys having this issue. Hope this helps.
That's a fantastic "cure" discovery. Well done, all you window-taping detectives; just excellent work.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,922 Posts
Honda used the same sealant/adhesive on the windshield that they used for the mirrors. ;)

Reactions: Posnovis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Windshield howling - Resolved
Had 2021 RTL-E into dealer this week. I like others, I provided the advisor an video/audio recording of howling at high speeds. I also put painters' tape along upper windshield molding, which resolved howling sound. Dealer test drove and confirmed noise. They had to replace the windshield and upper trim molding. Howling gone! I assume this is a factory defect, however, the dealer and Honda don't seem to be aware of this issue. If you have a howling sound at high speeds, confirm with tape across upper trim (windshield glass, trim, body) and test drive. If howling goes away, your windshield must be replaced. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. Good luck. I still love this truck. Enclose work details, no charge repaired under warranty. Used Honda OEM parts as well, needed to recalibrate sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had 2021 RTL-E into dealer this week. I like others, I provided the advisor an video/audio recording of howling at high speeds. I also put painters' tape along upper windshield molding, which resolved howling sound. Dealer test drove and confirmed noise. They had to replace the windshield and upper trim molding. Howling gone! I assume this is a factory defect, however, the dealer and Honda don't seem to be aware of this issue. If you have a howling sound at high speeds, confirm with tape across upper trim (windshield glass, trim, body) and test drive. If howling goes away, your windshield must be replaced. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. Good luck. I still love this truck. Enclose work details, no charge repaired under warranty. Used Honda OEM parts as well, needed to recalibrate sensors.

Well done brother!! That is the exact noise everyone is having. New windshield fixed it perfectly for me as well. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
10 Posts

Great news! I'm only a couple of hours away so I may contact your dealer to have them look at my 2021 RTL-E as well.
I'm curious why they charged you $175?

81 - 94 of 94 Posts