Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 RTL came with the dealer installed roof rack and crossbars and the door mounted window edge guards. When I get up to 70 or so a distinct high pitch wind noise becomes noticeable and a Honda tech seconded the noise. He said I could take a ride in another on the lot to see if it also had the noise but haven't gone back to do that yet and he seemed to agree that it was just wind noise. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My 17 RTL came with the dealer installed roof rack and crossbars and the door mounted window edge guards. When I get up to 70 or so a distinct high pitch wind noise becomes noticeable and a Honda tech seconded the noise. He said I could take a ride in another on the lot to see if it also had the noise but haven't gone back to do that yet and he seemed to agree that it was just wind noise. Anyone else have this?
Gonna be nearly impossible to troubleshoot with the roof rack and crossbars on there as they are likely the culprit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Recently I was on the interstate doing near 70 mph and heard what I believe is an episodic wind noise coming from my driver's side window. I rolled the window up and down to make sure it was properly seated. Noise was still there. At slower speeds I hear no wind noise. I do not have roof rack. I need to get back on interstate and see if I can hear it again before going to dealer. I'm assuming others do not hear a wind noise when driving at 70 mph??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah when test driving, I drove one with roof rails and the window shades and at about 45 mph the wind noise was horrid. Coming from at GTI with thule aeroblades so I was used to a slight noise, but again it was super loud. Mentioned to the sales man, and asked if they could take it off; his response was no they would have to pay some one to do it, and he turned the radio up. Needless to say that truck is still sitting on the lot and I am happy with my quiet RL from another dealer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had my RTL-E up to 80 mph today and she was quiet as a mouse. No wind noise at all. However, I don't have the roof rails or any of the wind deflectors on the hood, doors or sun roof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roof racks and rails... Any time you make the air move around an object, it will create noise.

Next time you pass a Jeep with one of them silly 50" light bars across the roof line...take a listen. THey make a huge racket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used to have an SUV with those window deflectors. Made a ton of noise. I decided never to get them again.

Also consider taking off the cross-bars on your roof rails. That might lower the noise a ton. I have the rails, but not the cross-bars.

I get a little bit of road noise in my door, but not a lot -- far less than my old Pilot. This is going to be hit and miss with any specific vehicle because noise levels can vary quite a bit within the tolerances allowed for panel gaps and whatnot. It also changes over time as the rubber dries out, things loosen up, etc.

Pete

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to check out this video, and the thread below if your high pitch noise is the same as the video.

https://youtu.be/2U8GdzvfCp0

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-ridgeline-2g-2017/138081-faint-high-pitch-whistle-highway.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Noise might be coming from air flowing over open holes in frame for tie downs during shipping. See this thread for more info. "What are the black rubber plugs for???" - JR West

·
Registered
229 Posts
Window guards create a lot of wind noise. That's why I don't install them any more. The air moving over the pocket area is kind of like blowing on a bottle but on those it's usually a whush instead of a whistle. If you have cross bars try moving the front one back as far ad possible when not in use. Assuming they are movable that is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would suspect wind guards. I have rails and crossbars on mine and there is essentially no noise from that. The Ridgeline has way less noise than the rails and crossbars on my wife's Saab wagon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had my RTL since last June and the Honda window deflectors since a week after I got the truck. Minimal wind noise from the deflectors. 3 small holes in each, do not know if that helps to lessen wind noise.

Always used Weather Techs on previous trucks--no noise. Not sure if they will make some for the Ridgelines because of the small non-opening vent window in front of the window.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Recently I was on the interstate doing near 70 mph and heard what I believe is an episodic wind noise coming from my driver's side window. I rolled the window up and down to make sure it was properly seated. Noise was still there. At slower speeds I hear no wind noise. I do not have roof rack. I need to get back on interstate and see if I can hear it again before going to dealer. I'm assuming others do not hear a wind noise when driving at 70 mph??
I have a lot of wind noise on my drivers side window also. I have nothing extra added to the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I wonder if the different windshields between the higher and lower trims make any difference in wind noise? Windshield noise was often an issue for the G1.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a lot of wind noise on my drivers side window also. I have nothing extra added to the truck.
The noise on the driver's side window at speeds of 70 mph or greater is getting worse. I have no roof rack or window deflectors. My wife was with me today and she could hear the driver's side noise while seated in the passenger side, but no noise from passenger window. Time to call the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The noise on the driver's side window at speeds of 70 mph or greater is getting worse. I have no roof rack or window deflectors. My wife was with me today and she could hear the driver's side noise while seated in the passenger side, but no noise from passenger window. Time to call the dealer.
I have the same issue with my RTL AWD at speeds over 45.

I also have the rolling pop, brake booster vacuum leak (assumed to be the cause), and my console USB port is not working.

Service appointment next week.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the same issue with my RTL AWD at speeds over 45.

I also have the rolling pop, brake booster vacuum leak (assumed to be the cause), and my console USB port is not working.

Service appointment next week.
Please post what they find regarding wind noise. I'm trying to set up an appt. now and will post results. I've closely examined all the gaskets, the angle of the window and the clearance on the door edges. I see no variance from passenger side. I need to do same for right rear door.
The noise in my Ridgeline has increased in intensity and on last interstate trip it did occur at 65 mph, whereas before it was more subtle and only occurred at 70 mph or greater.

·
Registered
471 Posts
.:Reflex and Ridgeline84 l am curious about the assembly date of your trucks. I don't have an exact build date, but my VIN is 163XX and I took delivery Oct. 14.

·
Registered
471 Posts
SUCCESS!! I went by Honda dealership and on my way to the service department ran into the general manager whom I had met after purchasing my Ridgeline. He asked me how I was enjoying it. I told him fantastic with one minor exception. He listened to the problem, walked out to my truck and immediately identified the problem. The vertical black plastic trim piece that parallels the rear of the driver's window (3-4" wide x 19" long) had become partially detached. The only way you could tell was by pushing it in about midway down. It will pop. He explained there is 2 sided 3M tape holding it against the frame and it had come loose. I went around to the passenger side and sure enough no popping. They ordered a new part and will replace it next week. Apparently at 70 mph+ the air turbulence would create the noise by getting under the trim piece.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts