Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Ridgeline RTS purchased 26 Nov, Apr 2005 build, s/n 110XX.

Noticed the "whistle" on the way home from the dealership. Isolated the problem area on the driver side "A" pillar about 10" - 16" down from the roof line. Temp fix is black duct tape, will ask dealer to complete factory fix.

Heard rattles in the speaker area & middle dash/windsheild area. Fixed the speakers quickly with some adhesive weather stripping, no problem at all.

Spent most of the afternoon on the dash rattle but I do think I got it. It seems the plastic housing around the windsheild wipers has something loose underneath and was contacting the windshield. After various attempts at islolating and correcting, last resort was to stuff a shop towel between the plastic and the glass and it appears to have stopped. Again, will ask the dealer for a more professional fix.

To do's:
1. Replace those lousy speakers...6012's are on their way.
2. Improve the radio reception....anybody have any luck doing that yet?
3. Install running boards

Frankly, I'm dissapointed Honda has not done a better job of quality control off the line on these things. I'm countng on them to take care of my issues and I fully expect they will. What I don't understand is how that radio/speaker system made it thru to production. My 06 Odyssey simply blows my RTS system away...no comparison whatsoever. Reception on the radio is completely unacceptable.

I'm going to chalk these up as "shake down" issues. Once fixed, I think I am going to love this vehicle as it will serve the needs of myself and our family very well.

A big THANK YOU to this forum, you've already helpled me so much, I hope I can repay the favor in the future.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Congrats on your new truck. I know that you're being on this forum is going to give you more muscle to get your problems fixed. I'm glad to see your positive attitude about finding these imperfections. I trust that you will get everything taken care of. You will love your audio upgrades.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome aboard CGM55123! I am sure that your dealer can take care of the minor rattles that you mentioned. The only rattle that i have is the drivers visor, and it is very rare that it happens. When it does rattle, a sharp rap on the end to push it to the left takes care of it. It is not enough of a problem to mention. As to the radio reception, I am very happy with mine but we probably have different radios. I have the Navi system and it has the best radio reception of any vehicle that I have ever had. I remember seeing others complain about their radio reception as well. You may want to do a search and poke around in some of the other forums for info. I don't know if anyone has done anything to improve theirs. I suspect that the AM/FM antenna is the same on our vehicles so I doubt that it is the cause of your problem. I believe that it already has an amplifier on it so adding a second one is likely to make the reception worse by amplifying the noise more than the signal. When you are at your dealer, check a few other Ridgelines to see if yours is different than the others. If it is the same another head unit may be in order.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
As to the radio reception, I am very happy with mine but we probably have different radios. I have the Navi system and it has the best radio reception of any vehicle that I have ever had.
Sorry to hear of your RL issues and I'm sure they will fix them!
I have to second the radio reception. I have the navi as well and not sure if it is different without, but of my last several vehicles, the RL is the best reception I have had! That includes a jeep with an ole fashion steel post for an antenna

·
Registered
7 Posts
Afternoon CGM. Figured I'd put my $.02 in on this in hopes that it might help when dealing with the dealership.

Thankfully my RT has not had the mystery rattle that other owners have had, but I did have the exact same problem on my first generation '03 Element.

After having it looked at no less than 6 times with the service guys claiming to never hear the noise I made two of them sit in the car with me while I drove, pointing out the noise every time it creeked. The good news was that they conceded that there was a rattle coming from somewhere in the pillars. The bad news was that they had to nearly rip the box apart.

Turns out that there was a weld that had broke from the front frame to the pillar support, and the rattle was the sound of metal-on-metal every time I turned a corner or hit a bump. As I understand it, others experienced the same problem, although I don't know if a bad weld was to blame each time.

Hopefully it's nothing that drastic on your Ridgeline, but maybe this info will help you to get the dealership to isolate and fix the problem. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hello CGM55123, Welcome to the club and we hope you get the wind noise fixed. Keep us posted when you get it done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome! I have a plain jane Blue RTL (no MR or Nav) and I am very disappointed in th Radio reception, too. I don't drive that much and plan on getting the iPod adapter when available (any new information, anyone?). So, I haven't looked into fixing it yet. I was going to mention it to the dealer when I bring it in for my first oil change.

I do not have any whistles or rattles that I've noticed. I do every once in a while hear a loud thump when I hit about 30 mph after leaving my house but I think it is just rocks from my gravel driveway working loose from the tires and hitting the underside of the truck. I just hit 1200 miles so I am still getting used to my new toy.

Best of luck. I am sure you will love yours when you get the kinks worked out. Post any info you find on improving the radio reception. I for one will be very interested in an work arounds.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with ULTRA-HOG, the only noise I have experienced on any occasion was from the drivers side visor. Everything else is tight as a drum. I finally got a chance to load up an ATV in the bed & the truck performed as if there was nothing back there, no squeeks or rattles:)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Craig: Check in the area above your clove box LH side. There should be a adapter jack to plug your iPOD into. I know mine has one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had quite a few rattles as well. However, they are intermittent. I never know each day whether the truck will rattle or not, or which rattles will be present. Of course, rattles are affected by humidity and temperature. Noted noises are:

1) Steering wheel creak - Had this one addressed by the dealer but still creaks.
2) Speaker grill rattle - Had this addressed by the dealer and seems to be fixed.
3) Glove box rattle - Had this addressed by the dealer and the rattle is still there, but it is not as loud. The latch does not keep the glove box closed tight enough.
4) Center console rattle - Can't seem to find this one. It may also be somewhere behind the Nav. Still researching, but this one can get quite loud and frequent and then the next time I get in the vehicle it is not there.
5) Whistle noise from the driver side A-Pillar at about 70+ mph that is intermittent. I'm afraid of taking this one to the dealer as it may make matters worse.

Another minor annoyance, not a rattle, is that with the lights on, the "reset" button is much brighter than the other buttons.

Thank goodness for XM Radio. With it turned up, the truck is rattle free!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
msmith1965 said:
4) Center console rattle - Can't seem to find this one. It may also be somewhere behind the Nav. Still researching, but this one can get quite loud and frequent and then the next time I get in the vehicle it is not there.
I thought I had a rattle in the console as well. I took everything out of the cubby but it still rattled. Come to find out one of the dividers wasn't pressed all of the way down. Pressed it down rattle gone. Now I only get rattles down there when loose items are connecting.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Worst rattle I get is when I forget to fully snap in the sun visor. It seems to revirberate throughout the cabin and the noise sounds like it is coming from all sorts of places. Then I see the visor loose and I have a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
63 Posts
at the risk of sounding stupid, i thought i had a rattle in the dash which seemed to be coming from behind the heater controls....after asking for help here, it went away and i haven't heard it since...(hope i'm not jinxing myself),
but now i think it may have been my keys......

·
Registered
85 Posts
subee said:
but now i think it may have been my keys......
I know exactly what you mean. I was convinced that my RL had a rattle until I realized it was the buttons on my garage door opener vibrating! :rolleyes:
(That's how quiet it is inside!!!) :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Budman1109 said:
I know exactly what you mean. I was convinced that my RL had a rattle until I realized it was the buttons on my garage door opener vibrating! :rolleyes:
Same EXACT thing happened to me!

It took me a month to figure out it was the stupid garage remote opener!!

TL

·
Registered
112 Posts
BIGGUY said:
Craig: Check in the area above your clove box LH side. There should be a adapter jack to plug your iPOD into. I know mine has one.
Unfortunately the Auxiliary jack is only available on the Nav models and it doesn't allow control through the stereo or charging of the iPod which the iPod Link should do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Budman1109 said:
Ahhh . . . the joy of HomeLink. No more hunting though the glovebox/visor/under driver's seat for the garage door opener I dropped or couldn't find!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great machine, except for the wind noise. Dealer said they all have wind noise. Honda Customer service said same thing.

How much does noise vary from one ridgeline to another? What is the acceptable limit? How do you quantify wind noise?

The bigger question is why would Honda allow such an engineering defect?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Engineering defect?????? It's a TRUCK for cryin' out loud!!!!! One of the quietest trucks ever produced. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, and I will not call it a defect, but I think my truck wind noise is getting louder at ~ 4,000 miles on odometer. Maybe I am imagening things, maybe I have read 1 too many noise complaints in the ROC, but man I would love to know what a real RL wind noise sounds like (and hope I just had the regular "its a truck" noise).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts