Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I dropped my RL off this morning for hopefully the last time. They are going to call Tech Line 1st and see if they have any more updates on a TSB.

Hopefully I'll know more tonight.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
maybearidge said:
Has anyone found that the dealers are aware of this from Honda and have a Honda approved fix for it??
thanks

I still have wind noise bad as before. The only fix from the Honda tech line did not work for me and that was stuffing ept foam in the molding. Appears I only have bad wind noise when there's any amount of cross wind. Lately there's been very few days of dead calm wind but of course when the Honda rep was looking/working on my truck it was dead calm so we thought the foam did the trick.

I spent a good hour or so yesterday taping up my molding and doing road tests in about 15 mpg cross winds. Once I got the tape right the difference was astounding. Previously when I was doing tape testing I was making the tape flush to the surface following the surface contour. This time I only tacked down the leading and trailing edges of the tape so it was a smooth transition from the window to the roof and A pillar.

Then I tried just tape on the roof plastic piece to the window as another memeber found that was his cure. Didn't work for me, just doing that section made no difference. The only section that made a difference, and a huge one at that, was the top horizontal molding. Once that was taped up with a smooth transition from window to roof the difference was night and day. So then, in my case, the molding is bad in the top area.

Really sounds like it's a case of 1, 2 or possibly 3 different causes for the wind noise for everyone. I've never had to work so hard spending so much time on a new car before but I guess that's the price I pay for buying an early model of the first year. I'm still confident the issue will eventually get resolved.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vertrkr - I just posted a question about that gap between windshield and roof line on the other Wind Noise thread. You might want to copy your response across so the people following that thread see all of the extra work you continue to do for the group.

·
Registered
32 Posts
that sucks that you should have to work on a brand new truck! I think i will wait till 2006. I dont wanna deal with these types of problems after spending 35 grand. I hope you guys get some resolution to this cuz that sucks. But the Ridge still rocks :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
I suspect that the noise is related to the seal installation as the reports are all over the board from none to horrible.

On mine I need to turn the radio off to notice wind noise, yes there is some present but we are pushing a pretty good sized vehichle through the air, I would expect some noise. This is the only sound I hear at highway speeds it is not obtursive to me, but it could get worse with time.
I do not have a sun roof though the reports are coming from those with and without.

The seal installation woud apear to be the most likly source. Our trucks are built in Canada it could be a case of to much Moose Head or Molson A.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It would be great if people with and without wind noise could post photos of the front window seals.

I'll take some this weekend

-W

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did not have a significant noise issue, but after reading these threads I checked the gaps between the black strips on the roof and the windshield seal. Both had small gaps, but I noticed that I could easily slide the driver's side strip back over an inch, making quite a gap. The passenger side did not slide as easily.

To be on the safe side, I applied a bit of black silicone adhesive (made for automobile applications) and slid the stripe tight against the winshield seal.
I have even less noise now.

I still get the normal cross-wind noise that many have mentioned.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't get wind noise under normal conditions. If there is a cross wind of more than 30 mph (or gusts) there is a slight whooshing sound which appears to be coming from the pillar between the doors and opposite the side from which the wind is blowing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just spoke with my dealership...they have not heard anything about any problems. They also advised me to wait to see what Honda says before having some tech start using your truck as an experiment.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Fast600 said:
that sucks that you should have to work on a brand new truck! I think i will wait till 2006. I dont wanna deal with these types of problems after spending 35 grand. I hope you guys get some resolution to this cuz that sucks. But the Ridge still rocks :D
Dude, you don't have to wait. Just test drive existing stock on the lots and find one that doesn't have a noise problem, and your set. I did and I'm quite happy right now without waiting for 2006.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is just a guess - perhaps the wind noise and the creaky steering wheel problems are only limited to low-numbered VINs? In one of the threads, at least one of the members who had a low-numbered VIN has expressed problems with wind noise and creaky steering wheel. Again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my truck in to replace the windshield (it had scratches on it from the dealer/factory) and to have them see if they could fix the wind noise. The wind noise is as bad or maybe even worse than before. What I am getting is a buffeting/turbulent/gusting noise at speeds above 45 mph. I am beginning to think it may not be the trim around the windshield but may be just the way the vehicle is designed. Not having driven any other Ridgeline (that's my next test), I can't really say if what I am experiencing is normal or excessive. I noticed that the buffeting sound is apparent even from the sunroof when opened, which leads me to believe it could just be the way the vehicle cuts through the air.

As an aside, I have to say that Jason from North American Honda corporate has been a great guy to work with. The dealership I have been going to (Ourisman in Bethesda, MD) has not been stellar, however. They did not test drive the vehicle to assertain if they fixed the problem, were going to give it back to me covered in pollen/dirt, and are always slow and backlogged in their service department. I will be switching dealerships for service.

·
Registered
492 Posts
frbear said:
This is just a guess - perhaps the wind noise and the creaky steering wheel problems are only limited to low-numbered VINs? In one of the threads, at least one of the members who had a low-numbered VIN has expressed problems with wind noise and creaky steering wheel. Again, I could be wrong.
My Ridgeline was 3,886 off the line and I have the wind noise, creaky wheel, and bad wiper washer pump. I have put the dealer on notice for the wind noise and I will wait for a definitive answer from Honda. The creaky wheel is fixed and the washer pump is on order for Monday. In the end these are not big issues in light of all the things Honda got right with this truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi guys,

I went to south bay honda(los gatos), after a useless dealer like serramonte, and they saw that my windshield needed to be replaced and they were willing to pull of an interior piece off of one of their trucks to fix mine and a no hassle car rental.

That sucks I need a new windshield but I hope that cures my damn windnoise. Hey VERTKR, you should try that dealership and ask for alex. They were very quick in helping me out!

I'm supposed to be picking up my truck today. I will report on how that goes.

Rafael

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
ravill said:
Hi guys,
I went to south bay honda(los gatos), after a useless dealer like serramonte, and they saw that my windshield needed to be replaced and they were willing to pull of an interior piece off of one of their trucks to fix mine and a no hassle car rental.
That sucks I need a new windshield but I hope that cures my damn windnoise. Hey VERTKR, you should try that dealership and ask for alex. They were very quick in helping me out!
I'm supposed to be picking up my truck today. I will report on how that goes.
Rafael
Thanks, might do that. I'm still waiting on official word from Honda about the wind noise. To date I don't think anyone has had their wind noise fixed, even by getting a new windshield. One fellow had a whistle he fixed by sliding the roof rack plastic strip forward but I think that's a different issue from what most of us hear as a whooshing wind noise, that fix did nothing for me so I'm still maddenly waiting for the final solution. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey everybody. I've been lurking for over a month on this site and REALLY appreciate all the information everyone has contributed. You have all been very instrumental in helping me make my decision. What a valuable resource!

I've finally made the big step and will be picking up my silver RTL/Nav on 5/4.
One question. Is it strongly recommended to take it out for a ride at higher speeds to confirm no wind noise/creaky wheel issues before parting with my check?

Thanks again

·
Registered
40 Posts
Biker said:
Hey everybody. I've been lurking for over a month on this site and REALLY appreciate all the information everyone has contributed. You have all been very instrumental in helping me make my decision. What a valuable resource!

I've finally made the big step and will be picking up my silver RTL/Nav on 5/4.
One question. Is it strongly recommended to take it out for a ride at higher speeds to confirm no wind noise/creaky wheel issues before parting with my check?

Thanks again
if you like a quiet ride, do the test drive. Get up past 60, turn off all air, radio and listen. If it sounds like a passenger window is cracked open about 2 millimeters and air noise is gushing in, turn around and go drive another. Take a look at the passenger dash, tap on the tweeter covers with a finger to see if they are loose. Also take a look at the airbag panel on the dash to see if it looks like it's peeling away. Just my 2 bits.
Enjoy the new ride!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Welcome Biker and good luck on your purchase. A member of this forum named vertrkr has a checklist that he has compiled that is very useful. Just run a search for him and you will find a link to his checklist.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts