Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion about tinting glass / windows? Pro/Con? :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
In North Texas during the summertime, it is almost required because it gets so hot. I had my front windows done by my Honda dealer and it is just the right balance of sun block and visibility. I wouldn't have it any other way because of where I live. I think it gives a better "look" to the Ridge also...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here in Arizona it is a must. Had all windows (except front of course) done at a local installer using premium film for $80 and pin striping for $28.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
What is your opinion about tinting glass / windows? Pro/Con? :)
I just did mine:

26% Rear and back, 13% Driver/passenger. 2 words LOVE IT!

Especially here in the Sacramento Valley. Been anywhere from 100 to 113 this summer. HOTTER as HELL

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DWdrums,
Nice looking ride. I like it!! I'm convinced!! especially after the 95's we've been having here in the Constitution State!! I think our state allows 35% on windows and AS1 on front glass. Not sure what AS1 means... :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went and done it!! Called Mr Tint up the road from me, asked when he can do me (my RL I mean), he said to come on over right now, will have it done in 30..zoomed right on over..now I have premium 13% for lifetime guarantee at $65! Would be 50 for the 1 year guarantee. He said this was a match for the back windows, so that means the factory's are 13% too! He also said that the tint would meter out to 10!! No where close to legal. Ticket would be 250 per window!! BING!! BARA BOOM!! OUCH!!!! :D :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Well, I went and done it!! Called Mr Tint up the road from me, asked when he can do me (my RL I mean), he said to come on over right now, will have it done in 30..zoomed right on over..now I have premium 13% for lifetime guarantee at $65! Would be 50 for the 1 year guarantee. He said this was a match for the back windows, so that means the factory's are 13% too! He also said that the tint would meter out to 10!! No where close to legal. Ticket would be 250 per window!! BING!! BARA BOOM!! OUCH!!!! :D :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

In CA I believe the law is 18% on the sides. Lemmie look real quick....

Darn, can't find it right.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Most Tint Restrictions are on the drivers and passengers window and on the windshield. Usually it's 35%. Windshield in most states can be tinted down to the "AS1" Line, which is the little line under the windshield data information. Not very many states regulate tinting the back window or rear windows. Case in Point: A Panel Van! No windows!
The biggest thing to consider before tinting is visibility...you might be able to see well during daylight, but wait until a moonless rainy night. It's tough to see even through our factory tinted glass.
So, if you want it, get it! It looks good, lasts a long time (professional install) and is not expensive. Just think about visibility before you get it. If you get it and don't like it, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove it. Simply peel the film off and wet the window with soapy water, let soak and take a razor blade and scrape off the now soft glue. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Oh, what kind of trap set do you have??? Recognized the stands in the back. I've been playing for around 30 years.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
DWdrums said:
In CA I believe the law is 18% on the sides. Lemmie look real quick....

Darn, can't find it right.
I believe in CA tinting the front windows is a No-No...any amount of tinting. BUT...this is a big BUT, most have been able to escape tickets with "lighter" tints. I don't think there is an absolute percentage that is okay...you risk getting a ticket in CA if you have your front windows tinted.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Our local Pro-Tint store has 2 tints that are legal. One is clear Ultraviolet filtering only. The other is a very light tint which I will probably do on my side front door windows. They give you the documentation showing it is legal so you can show the police if they pull you over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well here goes, this is my first of many posts here at the "Ridgeline Owners Club".

First things first, this is a fantastic website and looks to be a great club!
A lot of sharing and great camaraderie amongst all of the participating club members.

Second the website is very well set up and very easy to navigate. I love how well the topics are organized. KUDOS to T Mac for doing such a great job!!! :D

Thirdly, I love my new Ridgeline RTL!!! :D I took delivery of a Black Nighthawk Pearl with the moon roof and NAV system 7 days ago. I can not say enough about how fantastic I think this truck is, and after reading many of the posts here, I believe we all feel the same way. I traded in my 02 Chevy Avalanche :( to up grade to the best truck I have every owned thus far :D I loved my AV but she was killing me on gas and was also getting up there on mileage and it doesn’t appear, at least any time soon, that gas prices are going to come down.

Fourth, I apologize for not posting any pictures of my truck yet and that is because I haven’t gotten into the mod mood yet! I just want to enjoy the truck as is for right now.

1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi!

Ok moment over, time to start the mods.

Actually, before I get started I have question to those of you who have had your windows tinted already. Did the techs remove your door panels to ensure that tint went below your interior window molding? In the past I have seen tint, over time, start to roll up on to itself because of the window molding. Also, has any one noticed (more that likely you have) the design of the front door interior panels? Notice how a small portion of the window is covered by the top of the interior door panel close to the exterior mirror? How did the window techs get that little segment tinted if they did not remove door panel? The reason why I ask these questions is because I will have my windows tinted out this week (first mod) and was curious how difficult it was for the techs to get the door panels off.

Future Mods:
1. Retrax bedcover
2. Window Vents
3. Fog lights
4. rear mud flaps
5. Bug Deflector
6. And whatever else I can think off and of course what my wallet can handle (not necessarily in that order!!)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here at the ROC. Um, sorry, can't answer your tinting questions since I don't plan on getting my RL tinted any time soon. I had my Accord windows (front and rear) tinted to an insanely illegal degree and I don't want to suffer the karmic whiplash by doing the same to my RL (well, not yet anyways :)).

·
Registered
14 Posts
methodtim said:
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here at the ROC. Um, sorry, can't answer your tinting questions since I don't plan on getting my RL tinted any time soon. I had my Accord windows (front and rear) tinted to an insanely illegal degree and I don't want to suffer the karmic whiplash by doing the same to my RL (well, not yet anyways :)).

Thanks for the welcome, Methodtim! :) I am very glad I found the ROC! When I bought my truck I didn't think there was a club set up yet, especially since the Ridge was only released about 7 months ago!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
dsowell said:
Our local Pro-Tint store has 2 tints that are legal. One is clear Ultraviolet filtering only. The other is a very light tint which I will probably do on my side front door windows. They give you the documentation showing it is legal so you can show the police if they pull you over.
This is good to know! I would go darker on my front driver and passenger windows if I could but even with the company I work for, CHP would take great pleasure in screwing me over!

·
Registered
142 Posts
hiPSI said:
Oh, what kind of trap set do you have??? Recognized the stands in the back. I've been playing for around 30 years.

OK...I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess that Mike (aka DWdrums) plays DW drums. Just a guess though.... :D

I recently bought a set of Tama Exotix and Gibraltar Rack/Hardware, etc and have never been happier. I ALMOST sold my 60's Slingerlands, but just couldn't part with them since it was my first REAL drumset.

Wow...are we off topic here or what?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had all windows including the back done, no removal neccessary.
Moon Shadow here in big D did it and it comes with a life time warranty.

By the time they did mine they had allready done 60 Ridgelines for various dealers in the area and they never remove any panels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Baja said:
I had all windows including the back done, no removal neccessary.
Moon Shadow here in big D did it and it comes with a life time warranty.

By the time they did mine they had allready done 60 Ridgelines for various dealers in the area and they never remove any panels.
Thanks for the info Baja!! I have always hated it when they pull the door panels off. I always feel they are going to screw something up that they can't fix which would really piss me off. :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts