Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
You might have to take to the dealer unfortunately. Hoping it is still under warranty. Or contact a local body shop for advise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funeman/Pattington/MarkB - any update on this? Did you get the regulator changed and did this help/solve the issue (along with the foam mesh) as well? Still having issues with the rattle? Did your dealer have any comment on the Pilot TSB either? If anyone out there has successfully resolved this please respond if you could.

Thanks,
-mb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Funeman/Pattington/MarkB - any update on this? Did you get the regulator changed and did this help/solve the issue (along with the foam mesh) as well? Still having issues with the rattle? Did your dealer have any comment on the Pilot TSB either? If anyone out there has successfully resolved this please respond if you could.

Thanks,
-mb
I changed the window run charnels for the rear doors under warranty. It helped A LOT! I still hear the odd rattle coming from the same area but I'd say it's 90% fixed. Now my blower motor is making a really loud high pitch sound and my driver's window makes a weird clunking noise when going up. The joys of owning a Ridgeline.

#Neveragain

·
Registered
95 Posts
I changed the window run charnels for the rear doors under warranty. It helped A LOT! I still hear the odd rattle coming from the same area but I'd say it's 90% fixed. Now my blower motor is making a really loud high pitch sound and my driver's window makes a weird clunking noise when going up. The joys of owning a Ridgeline.

#Neveragain
Well, i had the same probleme with the fan, but if you read this thread, it should help !

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/199097-noisy-interior-fan.html

But i can not help with the window because i have the same probleme!

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks,
-mb
Unfortunately the mesh hasn’t done what I’d hoped since the noise is back. Today I went to autozone and bought a clear plastic door edge guard (the u shaped plastic kind you slide on the edge of your door to stop dings). I cut a piece about 4 inches long and worked it onto the window at the top and as close to the top rear corner as I could. It fits super snug and when the window closes, there’s no play. The noise is gone now...at least on the short 10 mile trip I took after installing it.

I bought the t3800 style that was 3/8 inch. $3.99

Update: Heard a slight vibration noise from the window as I hit a few bumps so I went a little further with my fix. I cut the 4” piece down to about 3” and was able to wedge in a vertical 1” piece into the top rear to go along with the 3” piece going horizontally. The window opens and closes without a problem and seals tight when closed. I took it to the car wash today and it was dry as a bone even after using the power sprayer. Absolutely silent now.

Just to be clear what I did: looking at the drivers' window from outside the truck, I placed the 3" section on the top right hand side of the window as close to the edge as I could get it. I then placed a 1" piece vertically going down the right edge of the window starting at the top...so basically the two pieces meet at the upper right corner of the window.

No noise at all this morning on my drive to work. Hit quite a few bumps, potholes and other noise inducing spots. Hope this helps others that want a cheap, easy fix.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2019 driver side window rattling

After trading in my 17 for a 19 I was hoping for less issues. My 17 unfortunately had a lot, anyways the 19 has a lot of problems already fixed at the dealership the first week of ownership including a new seat cover that had adhesive from the factory on it, transmission was leaking and the steering wheel grinded while turning. Now the driver side front window is rattling and has wind noise. Has anyone had this problem before? What was done to fix it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: 2019 driver side window rattling

After trading in my 17 for a 19 I was hoping for less issues. My 17 unfortunately had a lot, anyways the 19 has a lot of problems already fixed at the dealership the first week of ownership including a new seat cover that had adhesive from the factory on it, transmission was leaking and the steering wheel grinded while turning. Now the driver side front window is rattling and has wind noise. Has anyone had this problem before? What was done to fix it?
Sorry to hear that both have issues.

My driver side door was not put on right and caused rattling/drumming sound when on rough road. A local body shop fixed it. Check your door seams and panel alignment to see if it's the same issue I had.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: 2019 driver side window rattling

There is an older thread dedicated specifically to the window issue. https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/168346-window-rattle-scrunching-sound.html

I've tried half a dozen different fixes and unfortunately none of them have provided permanent relief. I've also taken my truck in to the dealer on 3 separate occasions. They reinstalled the trim the first time, replaced the window motor the next and installed some kind of mesh in the door seals the next time. None of those "fixes" worked.

Its a very frustrating issue and unfortunately there's been no recent chatter in the forum addressing possible fixes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
After creating this thread over a year ago, I thought I would have found a permanent solution by now. However, the opposite has occurred. I made one last ditch effort in trying to rectify the window area / B pillar rattle without success. I have since heard more rattles and subtle sounds coming from the read sliding window and the rear windows. As the weather cools down, the sounds are more pronounced. I was essentially told by the foreman at my local Honda dealership that they've had the same complaints from other Ridgeline owners and that there's nothing they can do. He essentially told me it's an engineering issue and that the 2018 and 2019 have the same problems. In essence, he told me they were 'cheaply' insulated and designed which is why many of us hear the various noises we complain about. Apparently Pilot owners had the same issue and a TSB was issued to change all the run channels. Mine were changed which only helped for a very brief amount of time.

Considering I paid just over 47k Canadian, I expected a better product from Honda. This vehicle was not worth the price. In hindsight, I should have purchased a Toyota Highlander or a Ford F-150 Ecoboost if I wanted a pick up that bad. At this point, I just hope Honda's mechanical durability lives up to its reputation. I'm going to writing another complaint letter to Honda Canada however, I don't expect them to do much. I suggest everyone do the same if you have the same issues I have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I apologize in advance for resurrecting this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has made any more progress fixing the upper driver side window rattle? I've owned a 2019 RTL-E since mid December, and its been back twice already (once the day i bought it) for various issues. One of the 2 remaining issues that is really making me regret buying this thing is this upper drivers side window rattle. I left it with the dealer for a few days while i was out of town after the new car manager I've been working with verified the noise. They replaced the run channel 72275-TG7-A02 and it seemed to quiet down for a few days but is back to exactly where it was.

I'm super concerned at this point since there isn't an actual "fix" from what I can tell, and none of the other 3 ridgelines I had driven when purchasing this one did it. If you can gut the door, replace all the seals and regulators, etc and it still does it, but only SOME ridgelines do it........it would seem to me that there's a manufacturing issue with some of the doors themselves. The dealer was super enthusiastic about helping me sort it out right away but is getting decidedly less so as more time goes buy since the purchase.

·
Registered
77 Posts
By any chance, does anyone have a recording of the scrunching sound? I got a sound that appears to come from the windshield more than the side windows, but I'm also hard-of-hearing, so I might be mistaking the source due to that.

Also, my sound only appears when its colder than 50F, so as the day goes by, the noise goes away, and its not like its a constant noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This issue is a pain, agreed. I had the same thing going on. In my case, I feel it was primarily a door fitment problem for the front and rear driver doors, plus, at least on my car, an issue with something loose rattling inside the door itself. I had it taken to a body shop and one of the rattles went away - hope said some insulation material was loose and rattling. I was able to keep the other rattles mostly at bay by adjusting the striker plate inward very slightly on the front and rear doors. I did this by loosening them, getting a large flat screwdriver against the base, and tapping it in with a hammer. Sounds unorthodox but that is the only way to get the bolt mounts to move. I had to play with it for awhile so the door did not close too tight. I also changed the run channels on the front door myself and gorilla taped a lot of the items on the inside of the door to prevent them from moving around. Rattles now mostly gone unless it is very cold out, like 35 or under. I was going to take it to the dealer but most of the experiences on here with dealers and this issue led me to just do it myself as I don't have time to bring the car back multiple times.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I apologize in advance for resurrecting this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has made any more progress fixing the upper driver side window rattle? I've owned a 2019 RTL-E since mid December, and its been back twice already (once the day i bought it) for various issues. One of the 2 remaining issues that is really making me regret buying this thing is this upper drivers side window rattle. I left it with the dealer for a few days while i was out of town after the new car manager I've been working with verified the noise. They replaced the run channel 72275-TG7-A02 and it seemed to quiet down for a few days but is back to exactly where it was.

I'm super concerned at this point since there isn't an actual "fix" from what I can tell, and none of the other 3 ridgelines I had driven when purchasing this one did it. If you can gut the door, replace all the seals and regulators, etc and it still does it, but only SOME ridgelines do it........it would seem to me that there's a manufacturing issue with some of the doors themselves. The dealer was super enthusiastic about helping me sort it out right away but is getting decidedly less so as more time goes buy since the purchase.
Mine was fixed by a body shop. The driver door was bad in alignment from the factory. Top portion of the door had a small gap with body frame, causing drumming and rattle noise when on rough road. It was completely gone after body shop fixed the gap.

You can ask your dealer to readjust the door and make sure top door frame fits body door frame perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
Mine was fixed by a body shop. The driver door was bad in alignment from the factory. Top portion of the door had a small gap with body frame, causing drumming and rattle noise when on rough road. It was completely gone after body shop fixed the gap.

You can ask your dealer to readjust the door and make sure top door frame fits body door frame perfectly.
I believe I've been only a silent lurker in this thread, just waiting for anything at all that sounded like it might work. But I think you, @JamesW, may have the right approach. It took a Honda-certified body shop for me to get my tailgate working properly in both directions. They simply adjusted it; it didn't even take them that long. What you describe with your door having a small gap with the body frame is exactly what I see. For me it's only in the upper right corner looking at it from the outside. I can press that chrome piece at the very top with my thumb and it moves about 3/8 of an inch. I can see the gap close up. I think I'm going to march my truck right back to the body shop that did the tailgate and see if I can get them to adjust my door. My problem only happens under about 45°F. I've been the whole summer without hearing it once. But summer is waning fast here in the Northeast. I don't see Honda ever fixing this. Honda is a manufacturing company not a fixing company. And the dealerships are parts replacers. Good body shops have mechanics and body technicians and they work at solving problems every day. I guess I have to wait until it's cold enough for the sounds to reemerge. But once they do, this is what I'm gonna do about the problem.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts