Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad: I just had my front windows tinted with LLumar CH30 3322648-22 and it does not match! It has a very green tint to it and the factory tint is more of a blue/pink tint... I asked them about it and they said there is nothing they can do...

There has to be someone that has a tint that matches! Anyone have this experience?

Thanks...

L

·
0 Posts
bvondane said:
:mad: I just had my front windows tinted with LLumar CH30 3322648-22 and it does not match! It has a very green tint to it and the factory tint is more of a blue/pink tint... I asked them about it and they said there is nothing they can do...

There has to be someone that has a tint that matches! Anyone have this experience?

Thanks...
Good question, I want to get my front 2 windows tinted....

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah me too...my concerns:

-tickets
-my friend said it's hard to see at night and especially when it is raining
-my eyes are getting old

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
maybearidge said:
yeah me too...my concerns:

-tickets
-my friend said it's hard to see at night and especially when it is raining
-my eyes are getting old
When tinting make sure that you mention that you have Navi or not.
The metalized tints that have the most sun protection shouldn't be used.

Thats what I was told when asking about tinting at Sundown, the most experienced tinting company in my area. They wont install it if you have a navigation system.

They are going to install a "ceramic" type of tinting in mine which is supposed to be the next best type for sun block protection and not affect the Navi.

Anyone else hear of this?

Glad the color difference was mentioned, now I will need to ask questions about that.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't think that's an issue as are as metalized tint. The GPS reciever isn't inside the truck and I don't believe will be effected one bit.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I assume you are talking about your front left and right side door windows and not your whole windshield! I don't think you can get to match a factory tint...for any car or truck. It's been my experience that the closest match is 35% grey tint. This too will look lighter than factory tint but it's because the windshield lets in so much more light than the back glass. This causes the shade to look "less tinted".

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
shingles said:
I don't think that's an issue as are as metalized tint. The GPS reciever isn't inside the truck and I don't believe will be effected one bit.
Thanks shingles. Thats what I was wondering. Where is the GPS antenna located. I thought it was in the bubble on the roof at the rear. But I read a post that said that was the XM radio antenna. I thought maybe GPS was the thing in the middle of the dashboard right up next to the windsheild. Or is that a temperature sensor?

Thanks ahead of time for any comments, wont have to post again with a thank you. :) Saves time and space. :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
By the way...what color is your interior? That has a lot to do with it too. Not as much seeing the interior through the glass but the reflection off the interior on the inside of the tint.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just got my front windows tinted for $49 total by a guy in Elizabeth, NJ. Great job and they match almost perfectly. From the outside its a perfect match. From the inside the front windows are just only slightly darker. You really can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
tedridge said:
I just got my front windows tinted for $49 total by a guy in Elizabeth, NJ. Great job and they match almost perfectly. From the outside its a perfect match. From the inside the front windows are just only slightly darker. You really can't tell the difference.
I paid 50 to Mr. Tint, waited one hour. No panels have to be removed.
Great job...one thing he empasized...do not use any glass cleaners. Just water and a nice,CLEAN soft cloth.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maybearidge. I waited for them to do the tinting - did it on my lunch hour. Both windows took about half an hour. He didn't have to take the door panels off. The guy's card is in my glove box. I send it to you tomorrow.

You can't beat $49 for two windows plus he gives you a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ok great thanks....I think I saw your truck in my town about a month ago...I tried to look in the window to see if it had NAVI but the tint was to dark....by the Burger King- in the Midtown shopping plaza...I think you said you are in Morris County before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tedridge...

can you tell me what brand/style/color tint you had installed? I am going to get my re-done and am looking for the right tint...

Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
bvondane, to be honest I don't know what the guy used. I pulled in, the guy said "so you want to match 'em up?" I said yeah and let him go to work. About a half hour later my black ridgeline looks like the one in the honda print ads. What a difference having the windows match makes!

I think Maybearidge is going to go to the same guy I used. Maybe he or she will get the info for you.

P.S. with this reply I make "senior member" status. Yippee!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
We just had our two front windows tinted for $40 complete. This guy (the only one that the dealer will recommend) had done a lot of Ridgelines and the tint matches perfectly and if there is any variation it is that they are a tad darker, but same shade. I don't know what type of tint he uses but I have seen his work from cars ten years ago and it still looks wonderful. After we had the Ridge done we also had him do our Accord ($120), gorgeous. He also told me that we may want to consider doing a clear tint on the front windshield to protect from UV rays. Jury is still out on that. It took him 1.5 hours to do the Accord and about 40 minutes to do the Ridge. He gave us a lifetime guarantee, for as long as we own the vehicles.

Not sure that this will help much but if you are interested in talking with this guy PM me and I will pass along his company name and phone #.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Had mine done two months ago and as far as I can tell ... they match perfectly! Yes, it does make it a touch harder at night to see out of but it is probably because of two reasons... #1, the tint, and #2, my age ... In my state though, the side front door window tint is illegal but I'm going to take the chance because I like the looks of the vehicle like this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Somebody explain to me how they cut the tint in the bottom front edges of the windows where the door panel comes up so high?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Crispy said:
Somebody explain to me how they cut the tint in the bottom front edges of the windows where the door panel comes up so high?
The tint comes off a roll, so it is basically a rectangular sheet when you start. With the backing still on the tint, you wet the window and slide one edge under the rubber trim (dust) moulding at the bottom of the window. You then roll the window down a little till you can see the top edge. You then get a razor knife and trim the top edge of the tint to match the window. (just use the top edge of the window as a guide and run the blade along the edge while trimming the tint) You then remove the tint and scrape the window with a flat razor blade to remove any dust or debris. You then remove the backing of the tint, squirt the adhesive side of the tint with a water/soap solution, squirt the window to be tinted and put the tint on. You slide one edge slightly under the rubber and roll down the window a tad to make sure the edge is lined up with the window (must leave a little gap between the window edge and tint edge...will peel if you don't...maybe 1/32 of an inch) then you start squegeeing from the top to the bottom using a smooth rubber sguegee. What you will end up with is tint that goes slightly below the bottom rubber and the top edge will be slightly below the rounded edge of the top. You cant see either edge when the window is rolled up. If the installer cleaned the window well there won't be hardly any dirt specks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks.... but,

The Ridge has that interior moulding that comes up over the glass about 1/2" or more towards the front of the window. How would they slide the tint down into that area and then cut it? It's not a right angle in the front bottom corner.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts