Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Windows Open & Truck Unlocked When Unattended???

I had a similar problem parking at a mall and came back a few hours later to find the drivers window all the way down.

No problem before or since.

UD

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
Re: Windows Open & Truck Unlocked When Unattended

Not sure how to categorize this. 2018 Gen 2 RTL-E w/ 7,500 miles. Yesterday afternoon I parked the truck at home. Approximately 2-3 hours later I came back to make a quick trip across the neighborhood and all the windows and the moonroof were open - they were all closed when I parked the truck. This morning I walked out to the truck without my keys and the doors were unlocked. Note: Neither time was a key or key fob in the truck.

Both are issues I've not experienced before. The truck always locks when I walk away with the Key fob. Can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Skiprocks
A possible explanation for the windows open and the moonroof open is that something pressed against the unlock button on the fob while it was in your pocket. If you are in range of the truck, pressing and holding the unlock button will open all those. The doors will not lock if one is slightly ajar, it also will not beep as you walk away. Could this be the reason it was unlocked when you walked out to it with no fob or key?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
Re: Window mysteriously opened....

I walked out to the truck this morning and found all the windows down and the moonroof open. I normally drop the key fob in a key dish as I walk into the house but didn’t yesterday because knew that I was using the truck again this morning. I’m glad the truck was in the garage so no moisture issues. I’m sure something pressed against the unlock button while it was in my pocket.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: Windows Open & Truck Unlocked When Unattended

Not sure how to categorize this. 2018 Gen 2 RTL-E w/ 7,500 miles. Yesterday afternoon I parked the truck at home. Approximately 2-3 hours later I came back to make a quick trip across the neighborhood and all the windows and the moonroof were open - they were all closed when I parked the truck. This morning I walked out to the truck without my keys and the doors were unlocked. Note: Neither time was a key or key fob in the truck.

Both are issues I've not experienced before. The truck always locks when I walk away with the Key fob. Can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Skiprocks
The window issue has been explained.

The door lock one I’ll address-I was cautioned by the dealer and I believe in Honda Pro Jason’s video that if you “run away” from the vehicle too quickly that the walk away auto lock will fail. Something about it sensing the fob more thru the electronic perimeter(s) and having time to talk back and forth with the fob gets missed and the vehicle will not auto lock. I’ve had it happen myself.

Walking away casually and at a normal pace you can hear the beeping, and the doors lock. Throw your keys or move too quick and it won’t. Either get used to listening to the truck, lock it with the fob or press the handle button.

·
Registered
32 Posts

The only theory I have is that someone in the parking at that time had a remote on a close enough frequency to affect my rigs lone window somehow.

Parked in my driveway the things been a vault.

UD
I stopped at a cell phone store one day and when I was locking my car by remote, I unlocked the car next to mine. Somehow we both had the same frequency programmed into our remotes. I asked in the store who owned the other car and explained to them that I unlocked their car. We both went outside and he locked his car and unlocked mine at the same time. Guess anything can happen with these remotes....

·
Registered
37 Posts

I hate the window down feature on the keyfob. I had them accidentally roll down along with the sunroof one day (i assume something in my pocket pressed the button while still close to the truck). I didnt see it and took a work truck to a meeting. Got a call that one of our wonderful afternoon thunderstorms had passed by the office and the inside of my car was drenched. I wish there was a code to turn off that feature. I tried mitigating this issue by putting a leather cover over the key fob.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Haven't had my 2018 Sport very long. We have had significant issues with juvenile car thefts. My truck sit outside. I make a point of pressing lock a couple of times on the way up to bed and watching the taillights flash. Apparently, last night I was off target. 8 degree night with snow flurries and I found all of my windows down this morning and my interior festively decorated with white fluffy stuff. Had no idea this feature existed...still don't know why it does. Anybody know of a method to defeat it (other than getting smarter about my truck)?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts

I stopped at a cell phone store one day and when I was locking my car by remote, I unlocked the car next to mine. Somehow we both had the same frequency programmed into our remotes. I asked in the store who owned the other car and explained to them that I unlocked their car. We both went outside and he locked his car and unlocked mine at the same time. Guess anything can happen with these remotes....
I had posted on here some years ago about my 00 Acura TL. While in underground parking lot when
I got thru shopping pressed factory key fob to unlock car.
A newer Range Rover parked nearby chirped and lights flash. Nobody in it or around so I pressed my remote again samething happen. I did search and them Rovers had problems with alarms.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Windows Go Down On Their Own

Jakerex - I've had my '19 RTL-E for just about 5 months and today I experienced just what you described. I parked my vehicle this morning and when I went back to it several hours later all 4 windows were down about 1" and the sunroof open a crack. I just don't remember if I locked it or not. No idea how this happened as the fob was in my pocket all day and I was in my house.

·
Registered
819 Posts
. I parked my vehicle this morning and when I went back to it several hours later all 4 windows were down about 1" and the sunroof open a crack. I just don't remember if I locked it or not. No idea how this happened as the fob was in my pocket all day and I was in my house.
That's how it happen, you had pressure on the key while in your pocket, lock button got press and at one point the receiver made contact for a few seconds from where you were standing and it crack the windows open.

I park my truck on the driveway and can remote start my truck from inside my house, So what happened to you is not impossible.

next mystery I predict is ... my fob battery is dead already, my other old fobs outlasted the life of my last car.

The design of the remote makes it easy to press on the buttons while in your pocket, pressure on those buttons drain the battery, thus cutting battery life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Windows Go Down On Their Own

I had to replace my fob battery a few weeks ago too...just about 4 ½ months old. I carry the fob in my pant pocket so the idea of "pocket pressure" on the buttons seems to make sense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Windows rolling down

I have a problem. I close my windows and sunroof. I come out the next morning and all the windows are down and the sunroof is open. Has this happened to anyone else? This is not the first time it happened. This is several times. Is there a way of rolling them back up using the remote.

VW use to do this by using the key. I have a 2019 E. I don't see anything showing me that this should be happening.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Re: Windows rolling down

This has happened to me. What happened? The remote has a function which opens all the windows:

I have other keys in my pocket, and apparently they hit the Honda remote and rolled down the windows as I walked away. Lucky for me, I was in a covered space on a clear day, so no harm done.

I don't know of a way to lock this out in the vehicle set-up. My work-around was to buy a leather holster for the remote which allows the proximity function to unlock and start the truck but prevents unwanted button pushing.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

I have a problem. I close my windows and sunroof. I come out the next morning and all the windows are down and the sunroof is open. Has this happened to anyone else? This is not the first time it happened. This is several times. Is there a way of rolling them back up using the remote.

VW use to do this by using the key. I have a 2019 E. I don't see anything showing me that this should be happening.
If you push the unlock button on the remote and hold it, all of the windows and the sunroof will open. It happens in your pocket at times if you lean against something just the right (or wrong) way. I believe the function can be disabled in settings. It's a good feature in the summer, if you want to cool your RL off before you get in it.

·
Registered
819 Posts

You are butt/pocket pressing the unlock button and thus rolling your windows down from your house/garage/backyard. The remote range is pretty good.

Few have posted about this same scenario.

No way to roll windows up with remote.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Friday afternoon I drove my 2019 RL into the garage due to forecasted storms approaching. It was never touched until I walked into the garage this afternoon (Sunday) and found all four windows down and the moon roof open (which I have never used and had to dig out the Owners manual to see how to close it). All windows were up and the moon roof closed when I drove it into the garage Friday.
We had severe thunderstorms Friday and Saturday night (our electricity was even off for almost 2 hours Saturday night at bed time.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what could have caused the windows and roof to be open? Would have been disastorous if it had been left parked outside on the driveway Friday and Saturday. Really disturbed and spooked over this occurrence.
My RL is less than 2 months old and just over 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Most likely scenario is that you are hitting the unlock button and holding it unknowingly on the fob which rolls down all the windows
All the windows and opens the sunroof.

This is a somewhat infrequent occurrence but has been posted here before-do you carry other things in your pocket with the keys to the RL-they might have pressed the button? Do you have a small child that could have gotten ahold of the keys? Or something similar?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Guys. I do carry another vehicle's key and a pocket knife in the same pocket as the RL key fob. On my other vehicle I have set off the emergency honking accidently in my pocket so guess that's what happened here. Good thing the RL was in the garage, I'll definitely have to be very careful when it is parked on the driveway, or in a parking lot.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts