Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will holding the Lock fob button down make all windows and moon roof close at the same time, or will this be a button push inside the truck for each item?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Nope, no closing using the fob, gotta use the buttons inside the cabin - IIRC I read in the OM that's due to 'safety' :(

(I loved the 'bootleg global close via remote keyfob' I was able to program on my '14 Escape with an aftermarket DIY programming tool - but Ford made that impossible on later models, too, under the 'safety clause')

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nope, no closing using the fob, gotta use the buttons inside the cabin - IIRC I read in the OM that's due to 'safety' :(
You can't roll the windows up and close the moonroof with they fob, but you can release the physical key from the fob, insert it into the key cylinder on the driver door and turn to the lock position and hold and the windows go up and the sunroof closes. Handy if you happen to open them remotely for some reason and need them closed without entering the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I have found my windows and/or moonroof partially open on two occasions. Both times it was raining outside. The most recent was the day before yesterday. There may have been other times that I haven't noticed because it wasn't raining. My key fob has a silicone cover and I have cut a piece of plastic water bottle the shape of the key fob to cover the buttons under the silicon cover so I don't think there has been any inadvertent button pushing as I can not intentionally activate the buttons without removing the plastic piece from the silicone sleeve. This most recent time the moon roof was open only a couple of inches. Since the moonroof is auto open/auto close, I don't know how it ends up partially open. The first time I thought it was operator error, but I can't explain the second time.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
<insert Twilight Zone theme music > :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's not in the manual but Honda recommends (insider information) that if the problem persists you should consider changing your diet. I think that following their advice will ensure that all your window will stay closed - even during electrical storms..

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
A quick internet search reveals that unexpected window operation isn't unique to Honda/Acura. It's been reported by owners of Nissan/Infiniti, BMW, VW/Audi, Tesla, MB, Volvo, Dodge, Ford, Mazda... That's enough - I stopped clicking "next page", but I'm sure there are more. The do seem to be more search results for Honda/Acura vehicles, but that may not be statistically significant or it could be due to the design of their remotes. I agree that all manufacturers should allow this feature to be easily disabled. Personally, I almost never use this feature and my vehicles are always garaged at night, but I'd still like to see the ability to disable it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,490 Posts
Moderator Note: Multiple Threads Merged

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
I have found my windows and/or moonroof partially open on two occasions. Both times it was raining outside. The most recent was the day before yesterday. There may have been other times that I haven't noticed because it wasn't raining. My key fob has a silicone cover and I have cut a piece of plastic water bottle the shape of the key fob to cover the buttons under the silicon cover so I don't think there has been any inadvertent button pushing as I can not intentionally activate the buttons without removing the plastic piece from the silicone sleeve. This most recent time the moon roof was open only a couple of inches. Since the moonroof is auto open/auto close, I don't know how it ends up partially open. The first time I thought it was operator error, but I can't explain the second time.
When you push and hold the key fob unlock button, all windows and sunroof will open. If you let off the switch while the windows and sunroof are opening, they stop where they are. By letting off the switch early, you can get the windows and sunroof to stay partially open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two days in a row, came out to find windows down after being closed previous night. Changed battery in remote and no issues since.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Two days in a row, came out to find windows down after being closed previous night. Changed battery in remote and no issues since.
Wow have to change your remote battery already? When did you get your 2019 RL?

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I can only imagine the nightmare that would result if this happened while the truck was parked at a mountain trailhead for several days (as I would do). Being super-careful with the fob is one thing, having total confidence that this could NOT possibly happen is another. Would it make sense to pull a fuse when leaving the truck outside and unattended for several days? Are there any other solutions aside from disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can only imagine the nightmare that would result if this happened while the truck was parked at a mountain trailhead for several days (as I would do). Being super-careful with the fob is one thing, having total confidence that this could NOT possibly happen is another. Would it make sense to pull a fuse when leaving the truck outside and unattended for several days? Are there any other solutions aside from disconnecting the battery?
I would think not having the keys near the vehicle would be enough.

Years ago, I had a brand new X5 and I just received a brand new laptop from work and had it in the back seat. I went to the bar, as I did back then, and came out much later to find all the windows down. Amazingly enough my work laptop was sitting on the seat, so either thieves in Houston had taken the day off, or it had just happened. Either way I was extremely lucky and mad as hell about it.

I took it to the dealer and they disabled the option. Then years later I bought a Ridgeline and used that option all the time when walking out of work in the summer and the interior was like an oven. I don't believe my Tundra has that ability and I now work at a place where my vehicle no longer sits in the sun all day.

No idea if Honda can disable the option but worth checking.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

I searched the 609 page owners manual, and could find no mention of disabling this “feature”. Like you, the thought of his happening to my unattended $40K vehicle in rain freaks me out ($$$$ thousands in water damage). In the midwest we’re in a very rainy pattern the last 2 months, it seems like it’s averaged 4 days of rain a week here

I normally don’t have anything else in my pocket with my fob. However, one day I absentmindedly put my iPhone ear buds in that pocket. The next morning I came out to my Ridgeline to find all the windows & sunroof open (thankfully, in our garage).

Perhaps a “Faraday cage” (shielded pouch) would prevent this? They’re relatively cheap (see below). Although that CERTAINLY defeats the concept of the wireless fob’s touted convenience..... having to continually remove/replace your fob into this pouch.... aaaarrrrgggg

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
From the owners manual, below is the exact sequence to roll down all windows & sunroof from the fob. It’s actually 2 “unlock” button presses. And if the second press is interrupted, it halts the roll down partially.

So it’s real easy to see how inadvertent roll-downs happen. You have something in your pocket next to your fob (ear buds in my case), or something presses against your pocket holding your fob (book, equipment, bag, etc). Then you sit down / bend over / whatever - in some combo that triggers the required 2 “unlock” button presses, then.... it happens.... And that’s for us older guys wearing medium tight jeans - add extra risk for millennials or hipsters with skin tight jeans.

When traveling recently and stopping at hotels (in rainstorms), I went back down to check my Ridgeline after checking into my room (leaving my fob of the dresser in the room), to make sure I didn’t trigger this in my bending over to haul in my bag.

Reactions: bigbluesd

·
Registered
563 Posts
I usually put my fobs on a short leash and hanging from my belt. This keeps it in but off the bottom of my pocket. Been doing that since 1999 when urban into the issue with a vw jetta with the same feature. Also since thieves are getting smarter, I've also put my "smart" fobs in a tin when I get home to defeat repeater attacks - thieves use a signal repeater with a big antenna to unlock the car.

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
From the owners manual, below is the exact sequence to roll down all windows & sunroof from the fob. It’s actually 2 “unlock” button presses. And if the second press is interrupted, it halts the roll down partially.

So it’s real easy to see how inadvertent roll-downs happen. You have something in your pocket next to your fob (ear buds in my case), or something presses against your pocket holding your fob (book, equipment, bag, etc). Then you sit down / bend over / whatever - in some combo that triggers the required 2 “unlock” button presses, then.... it happens.... And that’s for us older guys wearing medium tight jeans - add extra risk for millennials or hipsters with skin tight jeans.

When traveling recently and stopping at hotels (in rainstorms), I went back down to check my Ridgeline after checking into my room (leaving my fob of the dresser in the room), to make sure I didn’t trigger this in my bending over to haul in my bag.

Wouldn't it be great if this worked in reverse and closed all windows and moonroof if you pushed and held your LOCK button? It seems rather logical that programing like that would have been included.

Reactions: GmwGa
61 - 80 of 103 Posts