Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if this worked in reverse and closed all windows and moonroof if you pushed and held your LOCK button? It seems rather logical that programing like that would have been included.
Federal motor vehicle safety standards make remote window closure challenging to implement which is why you normally don't see automakers doing it. The distance at which the windows are permitted to remotely close is limited by line of sight and a distance that is much shorter than the remote transmits its commands. One workaround is to limit remote window closure to an IR signal instead of an RF signal, but this adds cost and complexity to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I searched the 609 page owners manual, and could find no mention of disabling this “feature”. Like you, the thought of his happening to my unattended $40K vehicle in rain freaks me out ($$$$ thousands in water damage). ....

Perhaps a “Faraday cage” (shielded pouch) would prevent this? They’re relatively cheap (see below). Although that CERTAINLY defeats the concept of the wireless fob’s touted convenience..... having to continually remove/replace your fob into this pouch.... aaaarrrrgggg
I ordered the below Faraday shield fob pouch 2-pack set from Amazon for $12.99 - link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDF5TX9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_jMHlDbSRJ111W. It's a little too big/clunky/ugly, but it works. You need to make sure you place the fob into its larger gold foil pocket. I then tested by pressing all my fob's buttons through the closed pouch, and it blocked them all to truck. However, it you place the fob into its smaller pocket, that's not shielded - and does NOT work.

So I keep one of these sheilds in my truck, and place my fob into after departing truck if rain/snow is in the forecast. Then I'm sure I can't accidentally trigger the sunroof/windows opening by inadvertent 2-key presses. The other shield I keep at home, and place my fob into at night.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I've had the same issue with the windows and moonroof in the past. I may have posted this before but, I use a silicone rubber fob cover (purchased on Amazon) and cut and placed a piece of a plastic bottle in the fob cover to prevent pressing the buttons. It works very well and almost too good since I have to remove the plastic bottle shield to activate the buttons. Fortunately, I rarely use the buttons. My solution may not work for you if you don't like removing the plastic shield to activate the buttons. An additional plus for me is that the silicone fob cover provides enough "grab" that the keys do not slip out of my pocket easily when rolling around with the dog or grandkids. Also, the keys do not slip into the pocket as easy either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Silicone spray lubricant the rubber all around where the window glides up and down.
The window resistance sensor is detecting resistance as though your arm or dogs cranium is blocking the window.
Hence why some are experiencing the slower drivers window.
It resolved my issue although I’ve had to reapply a few times

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband got in the truck today and found the moonroof open and it had been raining for days... We have no idea how it opened though. I know there is an auto open window and moonroof feature - is there a way that just the moonroof would open? OR if the windows and moonroof are auto opened and no one even knows - will they auto roll up again after a certain amount of time? No one had driven the truck for maybe a week so no one knew it was open. I'm trying to figure this out this mystery. HELP!

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
305 Posts
Does the moonroof close automatically if it's open and you turn the truck off? I don't actually know. If not, might have just been a mistake and was open or instead of closing it was accidentally put in the "push up" position and then turned off?

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
My husband got in the truck today and found the moonroof open and it had been raining for days... We have no idea how it opened though. I know there is an auto open window and moonroof feature - is there a way that just the moonroof would open? OR if the windows and moonroof are auto opened and no one even knows - will they auto roll up again after a certain amount of time? No one had driven the truck for maybe a week so no one knew it was open. I'm trying to figure this out this mystery. HELP!

Moderator's note: Threads merged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great. Lots of postings about windows and sunroof opening, often unexpectedly and unknowingly, but nothing about how to close them. Suppose you look outside and its pouring and you notice that they are all open -- how can you remotely close them? Doesn't seem to be a way, so far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Great. Lots of postings about windows and sunroof opening, often unexpectedly and unknowingly, but nothing about how to close them. Suppose you look outside and its pouring and you notice that they are all open -- how can you remotely close them? Doesn't seem to be a way, so far as I can tell.
You can't close them remotely. There's a regulation covering that to prevent a window closing on someone and injuring them.

I believe there is some sort of hack to change that. In the meantime you have to jump in the cab and close them up normally.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Remotely close, no. You can pull the manual key from your key fob, insert into driver door lock, turn and hold in locking position, all windows and sunroof will start to close. You need to hold the key in the lock till all windows close. You can open all window by twisting and hold in the unlock position.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Remotely close, no. You can pull the manual key from your key fob, insert into driver door lock, turn and hold in locking position, all windows and sunroof will start to close. You need to hold the key in the lock till all windows close. You can open all window by twisting and hold in the unlock position.
Please allow me to make a slight correction to your instructions where if you turn the key just once this will only lock/unlock the vehicle. You must turn the key twice and hold to open/close the windows.
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can't close them remotely. There's a regulation covering that to prevent a window closing on someone and injuring them.

I believe there is some sort of hack to change that. In the meantime you have to jump in the cab and close them up normally.
Thank you for the answer. I was afraid that would be the way. I've had my 2018 for about 2 1/2 years, and it has only happened to me two or three times at the most. I thought it was some kind of malfunction, but I see it is not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Windows Go Down On Their Own

Your truck must have demons then as there is nothing in the specifications for any model in the US or Canada that has touchless unlock and/or window drop on unlock. To unlock the truck you have to either push the unlock button on the fob, with the fob within range of the truck (300'?) or touch the inside of either front door handle with the fob within proximity range of that handle (21"). Neither has the auto-drop of the windows though.

Window drop is common on many vehicles, but usually those vehicles will be hardtops rather than sedans (no window frame) to make closing the door easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read through all of these comments, I searched all of the MASSIVE owner's manual, and even tried a full search on "Google." Before I call the dealership with this question - I just want to make sure I haven't missed something...."somewhere." Scenario as follows:

My husband parked our 2019 RLT-E (Rosie) in our driveway yesterday. It warmed up considerably during the day. Late in the afternoon, he went out to move Rosie back into the garage and ALL of the windows and the moonroof were open about a half-inch. He did NOT have the key fob anywhere close to pockets and/or accidentally activating the key fob. (Hanging on a hook at the garage entrance...inside....well away from Rosie.)

I just need to make sure that this is a PROBLEM before I call the dealership.

If this is an action that we can stop from happening in the future, please let me know? Like I said, I've looked everywhere, but, I cannot figure out why this is happening.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 RTL
726 Posts
My husband parked our 2019 RLT-E (Rosie) in our driveway yesterday. It warmed up considerably during the day. Late in the afternoon, he went out to move Rosie back into the garage and ALL of the windows and the moonroof were open about a half-inch.
How do you unlock the car? Do you ever use the key fob button? It is relatively easy to keep the button pressed slightly too long and what you explained happens. If you never use your key fob button, it sounds like a problem! If what you experienced is a one off, I wouldn't worry. If it happens frequently, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have read through all of these comments, I searched all of the MASSIVE owner's manual, and even tried a full search on "Google." Before I call the dealership with this question - I just want to make sure I haven't missed something...."somewhere." Scenario as follows:

My husband parked our 2019 RLT-E (Rosie) in our driveway yesterday. It warmed up considerably during the day. Late in the afternoon, he went out to move Rosie back into the garage and ALL of the windows and the moonroof were open about a half-inch. He did NOT have the key fob anywhere close to pockets and/or accidentally activating the key fob. (Hanging on a hook at the garage entrance...inside....well away from Rosie.)

I just need to make sure that this is a PROBLEM before I call the dealership.

If this is an action that we can stop from happening in the future, please let me know? Like I said, I've looked everywhere, but, I cannot figure out why this is happening.

Thanks!
Key fob has pretty good range and it doesn’t required much force/pressure to push the buttons. Even having your key hanging, possible it was at a perfect angle were there was some light pressure on the unlock button and it cause your scenario. I killed my fob battery by hanging my badge with my key chain lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
OP posted this in June of 2018,went away, and never returned. Perhaps he realized he forgot to close the window?

·
Registered
2019 RTL White
27 Posts
Key fob has pretty good range and it doesn’t required much force/pressure to push the buttons. Even having your key hanging, possible it was at a perfect angle were there was some light pressure on the unlock button and it cause your scenario. I killed my fob battery by hanging my badge with my key chain lol
2019 RTL- I find mine open a bit from time- to-time. I leave my Window lock on now. But I think it is me hitting the FOB while in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
2019 RTL- I find mine open a bit from time- to-time. I leave my Window lock on now. But I think it is me hitting the FOB while in my pocket.
The window lock is just so that passengers can't open the windows. Pressing the fob will still crank them down.

I've only ever opened the window once by accident. I usually set off the panic button while it's in my pocket instead.

·
Registered
2019 RTL White
27 Posts
Yes I know but I wasn't sure if my passengers were hitting anything in the car or even myself. I did not know about using the key to open and close the windows when the car is parked, just the FOB to open them on a hot day when I approach the vehicle. I just tried that after reading the post from Bill, Thanks Bill - from Oregon

I do find mine windows open a Tad ( is Tad metric or Standard?) once in a while.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts