Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repairing the issues that the glass company caused when they replaced my windshield. The trim along both sides of the windshield no longer fit tight against the window frame. I purchased replacement clips.

I am having an issue determining whether or not the adhesive strip on the plastic trim clip just peels like normal molding tape or if there is something else that I need to do. I have attempted to peel the protective coating off (if there is one) but I am not having any success. I am using a razor blade but I am merely removing the bits of the adhesive strip on the clip.

The adhesive strip is shown clearly in pics #2 and #3.

I am not familiar with the procedure for installing a windshield, but repairing the molding seemed pretty straight forward.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will leave this thread up in case anyone else needs the information. It turns out that the "tape" on the clip is just an insulator and pad. To secure the clip to the metal on the windshield frame you need to have epoxy.

The recommended epoxy is 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive DP100.

This job is turning out to be a little more than I imagined. Typical DYI obstacles.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,577 Posts
Thanks for this info, I'm looking at a windshield replacement sooner than later (already cracked, delaying repair for no particular reason, no insurance-driven rush, it's not in my sight-line). I'll of course be hoping for a more competent repair than you received, but one never knows.

From these pics I'd have assumed / thought the same about that 'tape strip'. I'll look forward to pic(s) of the clip in place before covered with trim if you can manage that, I've got a general idea of the location / position from this and the thread where first mentioned, but admitting it's not perfectly clear to me (also admitting I've not downloaded any windshield R&R info from Service Express, which I'm sure would make all this perfectly clear).

Thanks In Advance (sub'd to follow) !

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I think that I would have returned to the glass company and said "Fix it!"

·
Super Moderator
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably should have, but I feel fortunate my dash was not damaged.

When purchasing the epoxy on Amazon, I had to "promise" that I was a professional and not some amateur DIY'er. Haha.

You might be able to use JB Weld also, which is much cheaper.

I will provide pics during the process.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Professional? You didn't specify professional what, did you? :p

·
Super Moderator
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got time to repair the molding trim around the sides of the RL windshield. The glass installer broke three of the clips including the butterfly clip at the bottom. They were brittle because my Ridgeline lives outside most of the time.

It was pretty straightforward. I glued the middle two clips to the metal on the A-pillar first, and let them dry. Then I applied glue to the top clip while it was installed on the trim piece. The reason for this is because there is no adjustment allowed on the top clip, whereas the middle two clips have about 1/4" of play up or down either way and they will still fasten to the trim piece. The middle clips sit between those two raised dots, one lower and one higher.

The epoxy worked fine and was not too messy to work with. I was careful to wear a respirator type mask, used for painting, but the fumes were negligible. I overdid it a little on tape. :cool:

The molding now fits tight against the frame as it should.

trim.jpg
trim 1.jpg
trim 2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts