Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I caught a potato sized rock right in the center of the windshield today. A couple of stars and one crack that's spread a few inches in a few hours.

COVID shortages notwithstanding, USAA has a contract with Safelight. Any reason to try to a dealership to replace it?

I'm having to wait a week to drop off already, am leaving on vacation on Saturday while temps will be in the high 90's. Do I really need to worry about coming back to a truck with an exploded windshield?

Haven't had a broken windshield in 30+ years...and Id just thought, "I should pass that truck" and had just moved into the left lane about 200 feet behind it...right after leaving the mortuary where I picked up my mom's death certificate...what a shite day.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
230 Posts
It's been pointed out by someone on this forum that it's a safe bet that the equipment Safelite uses to do the recalibration of the camera is probably more up to date than what dealerships would have. Pilkington makes the glass for Honda but if you want the OE specifications glass you need to make sure and ask for that.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Any reason to try to a dealership to replace it?
Dealerships typically don't replace glass - they normally sublet that out to glass shops. They do, however, perform camera aiming after windshields have been replaced.

Hopefully, USAA will pay for a Honda OE windshield per Honda's instructions. Using aftermarket windshields sometimes results in aiming difficulty or failure. Some people have reported having to have the aftermarket windshields replaced with an OE windshield. Pilkington makes the Ridgeline's windshield, but the version that says "Honda" on it is made to different specifications.

My condolences for the loss of your mother.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Condolences on the loss of your Mom.

IME Safelite does great, as long as you specify the upgrade to genuine Honda OE Glass (as opposed to Safelite's default and less-expensive 'OEM' glass).

Safelite will gladly source the genuine Honda OE glass, and if USAA balks at the upcharge I'd pay the difference in price myself (YMMV).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
And I also agree with getting an OEM windshield.
Folks, it's important to keep the terms straight and understand the differences ....

"OE" is "Original Equipment" - that means it is exactly what your vehicle left the factory with in every detail.

"OEM" is "original Equipment Manufacturer" - that means the item is made by the same manufacturer as OE, but not necessarily to the same specification as OE (there is no guarantee that it is exactly the same as what your vehicle had when it left the factory).

There may or may not be a substantive difference but it's virtually impossible to determine that with any degree of certainty - the detailed specifications for any component are almost never publicized in their entirety, they are often considered proprietary / business confidential information, making it impossible for the consumer to compare and judge the significance of any difference.

The substantive difference, if any, might be anything from nuanced physical characteristics to less rigorous QA/QC procedures implemented to ensure delivered product quality - you just never know.

IF you want a replacement part to be assuredly exactly the same as what your vehicle had when it left the factory, you must specify "OE" not "OEM".

Yes, you will almost always pay a 'premium' for the assurance provided by specifying "OE".

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,379 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and guidance. Just so much hitting at the same time and feeling overwhelmed at that moment. I guess I was venting a little, but needed so help to. So again thanks.

@CentexG2 thanks for the clarification because I've always thought the two terms were synonymous. Good to learn the difference.

USAA has great customer support, have even put me in a rental because of the delayed repair. I didn't think to ask about the OE replacement, but will be following up on that tomorrow.

I've garaged the truck at my MIL's house closer to the shop, so hopefully being out of the sun will prevent a catastrophic failure.

Finding a rental is a challenge these days apparently. However, they did locate a Ram with a Hemi, of all things. Having never driven one, the accelerator is fun, but the BOF ride is so bouncy. The seats are horrible...miss the RL in just 5 miles.

Again, thanks for the feedback...very thankful for your responses.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just so much hitting at the same time and feeling overwhelmed at that moment.
You certainly have my empathy and understanding, I wish you the best in these difficult times.
.... so hopefully being out of the sun will prevent a catastrophic failure.
On this I'd suggest you put your mind at ease. Even if left in the sun it's extraordinarily unlikely that your damaged windshield would catastrophically 'implode' or fall-out making it difficult to manage the eventual trip to Safelite when they can get you scheduled.

Good of USAA to cover the loaner so at least there's no particular timing-stress involved with your RL windshield replacement.

I know it's difficult, BTDT, but try to relax and remember better days when you can. Not gonna offer platitudes like "this too shall pass" because IME it takes a long and frequently painful time to learn to live without a loved-one. Take care good sir.

Reactions: DTHughes

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Folks, it's important to keep the terms straight and understand the differences ....

"OE" is "Original Equipment" - that means it is exactly what your vehicle left the factory with in every detail.

"OEM" is "original Equipment Manufacturer" - that means the item is made by the same manufacturer as OE, but not necessarily to the same specification as OE (there is no guarantee that it is exactly the same as what your vehicle had when it left the factory).

There may or may not be a substantive difference but it's virtually impossible to determine that with any degree of certainty - the detailed specifications for any component are almost never publicized in their entirety, they are often considered proprietary / business confidential information, making it impossible for the consumer to compare and judge the significance of any difference.

The substantive difference, if any, might be anything from nuanced physical characteristics to less rigorous QA/QC procedures implemented to ensure delivered product quality - you just never know.

IF you want a replacement part to be assuredly exactly the same as what your vehicle had when it left the factory, you must specify "OE" not "OEM".

Yes, you will almost always pay a 'premium' for the assurance provided by specifying "OE".
So in the thirty years of working in a Honda dealerships parts dept. I have never used OE in any transaction with a body shop or insurance company. When we talked about 'Honda' parts for the repair it was always called OEM. If want to split hairs. Then any part on the vehicle from the factory is OE. When you are talking about getting your vehicle repair with parts from say a Honda dealership. Then your going to ask for OEM. Meaning you go to the dealership.

When I had to have the windshield replaced in my G1 I told the ins company that I wanted OEM glass. They said go to your dealership and order the glass. I did that. Most or all dealerships do not install windshields so they call a glass shop (like Safelite) to install it. Some at the dealership and some you brought the vehicle to the shop. My windshield was done at the glass shop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,928 Posts
@Posnovis, I send my condolences regarding the passing of your mother. The windshield in your RL will get fixed, and you can move back to a smooth riding vehicle. May you find comfort and solace at this time. Thank you for sharing with your ROC family.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
So in the thirty years of working in a Honda dealerships parts dept. I have never used OE in any transaction with a body shop or insurance company. When we talked about 'Honda' parts for the repair it was always called OEM. If want to split hairs. Then any part on the vehicle from the factory is OE. When you are talking about getting your vehicle repair with parts from say a Honda dealership. Then your going to ask for OEM. Meaning you go to the dealership.
Part of the issue is that even dealers and insurance agents use incorrect and misleading terminology. :)

All OE parts are made by the OEM.

Not all parts made by the OEM are OE.

For example, Pilkington is the OEM for the OE windshield that is made to Honda's specifications and contains the Honda logo. Pilkington also makes a version without the Honda logo that is sold at a lower price and is made to different specifications - this version is made by the OEM, but it is not identical to the OE version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me in March. I had the truck a week. I had the dealer do the repair with factory glass. $1200. Insurance picked up most of it. I live in a rural area and the local windshield replacement company don't have the equipment to do the calibration. It would still have required a trip to the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had Safelite replace my windshield about 10 years ago since that’s what my insurance company suggested… strongly. Right after, I noticed more wind noise to the point where I went back to them to check it out. Their tech drove with me on the highway and said that the seal is good but noticed some wind noise. He couldn’t comment on whether it should be there or not since he didn’t drive the truck before. A few years later, same thing happened but I had a different shop replace the windshield with a Honda part, see photo with the “H.” Not sure where they got it or how, but it is much quieter. I have the G1 but thought this was worth sharing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealership I just bought my '17 Black Edition from ordered me OE glass and had a mobile outfit (not Safelite) do it at their place. I'd imagine right after that they calibrated everything themselves.
My situation was different than most though. The windshield was slightly damaged when I bought the car so it was on list of fix its they had to do. I asked the Service Manager about Safelite and not wanting their inferior glass. He didn't even bother contacting them because he doesn't think Safelite can get their OE glass yet because the car is too new. Not sure if he's right, but glad he didn't use them.
IMHO Safelite glass is in fact inferior to OE. I drove an '08 Escape for A LONG time and heard some decent whacks on the OE windshield before it finally broke. Once I got the Safelite glass in there it seemed to get damaged whenever anything hit it even 1/2 as hard as all the no damage impacts on the OE. YMMV of course, but I strongly suggest the Honda glass if you can get it. Just pay your dealership imho.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
9 Posts
Similar thing happened to me recently, too. USAA, Safelite and rental. Dealer said they didn't deal with the windshield replacements and could recommend a third party dealer that may or may not offer OEM. USAA said no worries, we'll get you squared away right. Everything seemed to go ok other than they (Safelite) left the interior rather dirty after the install (which was a bit off putting since the Safelite rep went down a list of things they 'do' along with the install, which includes cleaning the interior. I'm a clean freak, so I had to vac/wipe out the interior myself to clean up after them.)

But in regards to the windshield itself...it's been several months. No issues so far. If there is a noise difference, it hasn't been noticeable to me, and I'm pretty hypersensitive to weird deviations in ride quality, sound, etc. I drive like I'm flying a glider, haha, so anything weird happens, I'm pretty quick to notice.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Our 2019 RTL does not have the nanny controls associated with the windshield so calibration of such is a non-issue, however, how about an acoustic windshield? Does Honda still offer a Ridgeline model that does not utilize an acoustic windshield so a person could possibly compare when a replacement windshield becomes required?

Bill

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Does Honda still offer a Ridgeline model that does not utilize an acoustic windshield so a person could possibly compare when a replacement windshield becomes required?
The Sport trim has a "non-acoustic" windshield, but it also lacks the RTL-E/BE's front and rear door acoustic barriers and high-density layer barrier beneath the carpet so it will be the loudest Ridgeline for a few reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I caught a potato sized rock right in the center of the windshield today. A couple of stars and one crack that's spread a few inches in a few hours.

COVID shortages notwithstanding, USAA has a contract with Safelight. Any reason to try to a dealership to replace it?

I'm having to wait a week to drop off already, am leaving on vacation on Saturday while temps will be in the high 90's. Do I really need to worry about coming back to a truck with an exploded windshield?

Haven't had a broken windshield in 30+ years...and Id just thought, "I should pass that truck" and had just moved into the left lane about 200 feet behind it...right after leaving the mortuary where I picked up my mom's death certificate...what a shite day.

View attachment 416054

When I had to have the windshield replaced in my G1 I told the ins company that I wanted OEM glass. They said go to your dealership and order the glass. I did that. Most or all dealerships do not install windshields so they call a glass shop (like Safelite) to install it. Some at the dealership and some you brought the vehicle to the shop. My windshield was done at the glass shop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Just had my wife’s 2012 Ford Edge windshield replaced by Safelight at my house. I asked about my 2020 Ridgeline’s windshield in case I ever needed it replaced. The installer said take it to the dealership, we don’t do Ridgeline windshields. Denver CO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts