Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third windshield on my 2017 Black Edition, and I already have 6 dings and a crack. I installed the OEM low profile wind deflector about a year and a half ago, but obviously I am still getting hit by small rocks in city and suburban driving. In a discussion about this at my dealership, they indicated that other past Honda models like the Element had the same problem, if not worse. I am about to replace the windshield again. Is there a preferred deflector, perhaps the OEM high profile wind deflector or any sort of coating that anyone has used in order to prolong the life of the windshield and pebbles and gravel bits blowing over the cab?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
on my 2017, a rock hit my window - crack.
Replaced it, I kid you not, within a week another rock. Only a chip they put that glue in it, it never spread.
maybe a year later, another rock, big chip really low on the window and it spidered down, so I said screw it, it's really low and I was tired of replacing windshields.

I traded in my 17 for a 2020 with that crack, I'm 95% positive they didn't even notice it at the time. I'm hoping for less rocks in my future.

But what I can tell you, I stay the F away from any dump truck , hauling truck or any other truck that is carrying little missiles from hell. None of them secure those damn tarps well enough to keep crap from flying out. These windows break really easy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
A wind deflector is useless when it comes to rocks. They are mainly to protect the hood. I've been through three windshields myself. It would have been four windshields, but I was driving in a "loaner" windshield, because Safelite didn't listen to me and ordered the wrong windshield for my BE. I had to drive with the incorrect windshield for a week, and a rock hit it while I was using it. I finally dropped my collision deductible to zero from $500. It actually wasn't that expensive, and it saves you a $500 hit every time it has to be replaced. These acoustic windshields damage very easily. I already have several small chips in my latest windshield, but nothing major.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn’t thought about seeking a zero deductible, so thanks! Hey, and to the previous guy, you are right to stay a great distance from dump and gravel trucks! I have been doing that since my first rock chip in 2017. I have considered trading for a 2020, still in Black Edition. What do you like better/not as well about the 2020? Is there any difference in the functionality of the updated 9 speed automatic transmission?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on my 2017, a rock hit my window - crack.
Replaced it, I kid you not, within a week another rock. Only a chip they put that glue in it, it never spread.
maybe a year later, another rock, big chip really low on the window and it spidered down, so I said screw it, it's really low and I was tired of replacing windshields.

I traded in my 17 for a 2020 with that crack, I'm 95% positive they didn't even notice it at the time. I'm hoping for less rocks in my future.

But what I can tell you, I stay the F away from any dump truck , hauling truck or any other truck that is carrying little missiles from hell. None of them secure those damn tarps well enough to keep crap from flying out. These windows break really easy.
I have considered trading for a 2020, still in Black Edition. What do you like better/not as well about the 2020? Is there any difference in the functionality of the updated 9 speed automatic transmission?

·
Registered
2019 Sport
18 Posts
you are right to stay a great distance from dump and gravel trucks! I have been doing that since my first rock chip in 2017
I mostly get rock chips from trucks coming in the opposite direction. Not a lot you can do about that.
When I got my last patch at the glass shop I was moaning that they don't make 'em like they used to. The store owner agreed and said that manufacturers, in their efforts to keep the weights down (EPA?), are making windshields less robust than they used to be. May have been idle chat, I don't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allstate has a 100 deductible specific to glass that you can tack on your policy. I added that when I bought my 18 Accord and am keeping it on my 20 RL since these adaptive cruise tech windshields cost around 1150 and up to replace.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I hadn’t thought about seeking a zero deductible, so thanks! Hey, and to the previous guy, you are right to stay a great distance from dump and gravel trucks! I have been doing that since my first rock chip in 2017. I have considered trading for a 2020, still in Black Edition. What do you like better/not as well about the 2020? Is there any difference in the functionality of the updated 9 speed automatic transmission?
When the last rock hit my windshield, there wasn't a vehicle within 100 yards of me (or more). The glass tech said it is not uncommon for your own front tire to kick up a rock that spins and curves into your OWN windshield. I had never really thought about it, but he says it happens.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
I have considered trading for a 2020, still in Black Edition. What do you like better/not as well about the 2020? Is there any difference in the functionality of the updated 9 speed automatic transmission?
I've been asked this a couple of times, and the 2020 is still pretty new to me so I've been holding off giving my thoughts because they may change and my answers may not be as much observed facts as thoughts .

With that said, just as a reference point, both trucks are RTL-Es the 17 in modern steel whatever, and the 20 in Black. The colors don't matter other than I really love the look of the black better, but that is just a matter of taste, much like the rims, which I won't get into now.

What does matter, as far as the 9 speed, I do most of my driving on the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike hauling ass, and as of now I feel like I'm getting worse gas mileage but it's too soon to tell. They say the highway is worse and the city is better, I believe it from what I'm seeing based on the computer, not manual computations. Not a deal breaker, but jeesh why couldn't it be a little more for highway than city?

For the most part you don't really see that much of a change in how it gears up, but it does feel like it has more umpf behind it. Again I'm not sure if that's just my perception but as of now, I'd swear it's jumping to speed faster. I wouldn't trade up in years just because of the transmission, unless you had specific needs, ( I'm assuming if you are towing the 9 would matter more).
As of right now the 9 is a wash, (Plus) a little more power, feels faster, (Negative) a little less gas mile.

Oh and the paddle shifters on 'Sequential' Mode; leave it to Honda to rebrand the 'S' from Sport to Sequential. I really believe they did this to prevent criticism aimed at the Ridgeline. Every other car/truck calls it Sport. Stupid!
I think Honda should lean into the fact that it's not an off-road vehicle and play into the idea of a truck that drives more like a sports car. A sport truck category if you will. I think they have more to gain that way.

I'm still not loving the push button shift. I always rested my hand on the handle and it's gone, plus I'm still looking down to see where the button is. It is getting easier but I'm not there yet. But I think I'm being a whiny baby about this, much like the whiny babies about the lack of radio knob, which I personally don't get, do they still want crank down windows also? Get over it. That's what I think my issue is with the push buttons.

The other negative is I hate this new engine cut off at hard stops, I don't believe it's going to help the environment, better gas mileage would, this isn't. So I disable it.

The other 2 big pluses : doors that open wider, tailgates that lock.

Overall I'm very happy I got the 2020, I love my truck, but I loved the 17 with over 96,000 miles on it. And I think, (hope) they worked out some of the bugs.

And to bring it back on topic, when I bought my new one, they had windshield insurance , along with scratch protection and something else. This insurance covered the windshield 100% OEM replacement. I forget all the details, it was sold in 3 packages gold, silver, platinum, they were willing to drop the price very far down from advertised, they brought the lowest to 12 bucks a month.
Anyone else have this option brought up ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, thanks for the insight on the 2020 Ridgeline...no reference to the Honda hybrid car, “Insight”. I am considering trading for a ‘20 Black Edition due to miles. I drive a lot around Houston for work, and am up to about 87K. Do you feel that you got a decent trade-in value on your ‘17 even with close to 100K miles?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
Decent trade in... short answer Nope. But I got a great deal on the 2020 - ahahahaha.

It's all bullsh!t as far as I'm concerned, they either give you a great deal on the trade in and make it up on the sale, or they give you great sale price and make it on the trade in.
Truth be told , all things being almost equal, my car payment is 1 dollar less than it was when I signed for my 2017. So I'm good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least it did not go up. I consider the truck payment a worthwhile investment in my business, and I couldn’t ask for a smoother, quieter, safer or more dependable/enjoyable ride! This is my first truck, and it is great to be able to haul everything from furniture going to be reupholstered, to mulch for my yard, to lawn equipment to work in my daughter’s yard, put fishing rods and reels in the bed on the way to the lake, etc. on the weekends, yet the Ridgeline still fits on my side of the garage.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
I feel the same, the 17 was my firsts truck, I always wanted one, almost bought an F150 many years ago, but I also always did a lot of driving. I had resigned myself to the idea that maybe I would just own 2 vehicles, a truck and a car. Even had my brother inlaw looking out for an older truck for me, I got tired of always borrowing something from someone or even doing the HomeDepot rental. I've always been a big Do It Yourselfer in the house and yard so I've put a lot of crap in that bed in the last 3 1/2 years.
Anyway, I learned about the Ridgeline and never looked back. These things are awesome, and I love driving them.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I counted up. I am on my 6th windshield and it's almost "worn" out again. No cracks just many little nicks. Almost like it was sandblasted. I am so familiar with the one Safelite that I visit that they now give me new wiper blades with each new windshield .

·
Registered
753 Posts
Decent trade in... short answer Nope. But I got a great deal on the 2020 - ahahahaha.

It's all bullsh!t as far as I'm concerned, they either give you a great deal on the trade in and make it up on the sale, or they give you great sale price and make it on the trade in.
Truth be told , all things being almost equal, my car payment is 1 dollar less than it was when I signed for my 2017. So I'm good.
You're right - feels like you're playing whack-a-mole.

When I bought my '19 RTL AWD in November - really good timing on incentives/pricing - I thought they gave me a really good price on the truck (though some got a few hundred lower, later; minimal in the bigger picture) but the value they allowed on my 2007 was quite low.

I didn't want to mess with it and had decided to go ahead, but then it took them a few days to locate the color I wanted (obsidian blue; love it) from another dealer, and while waiting I thought of asking if family members wanted to buy my old RL for the trade-in offer. So my son in law got a great deal on the old RL and I bought the new truck for the offered amount. When I told the dealer the trade was out of the mix I was afraid they'd raise the new-truck price, due to not making $ on the used truck, but the guy just said "OK, I'll make that adjustment.".

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
Trade in value: I didn't really want to worry too much about my trade in value, because it needed new tires, new breaks and the engine light had been going off intermittently plus the cracked windshield. So in the back of my head I was thinking there was a few thousand dollars of repairs to do anyway.
All I ever want is a fair deal, I realize everyone has to make money in this world, and I'm okay with that, but I also don't want to get hosed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got less than 4000 miles on my 19 RTL-T and I've got a small chip at the bottom of the windshield already! Going down the highway at 60 mph... heard a VERY small hit... no other cars for at least 50 yards either direction. Discovered the next day. Not happy. All of my previous vehicles (Excursion, Suburban, F250) took HUGE hits that scared the daylights out of you and didn't leave a chip.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Drove an F150 for 21 years. Had many things hit the windshield. Never a nick, scratch, or crack. Bought a 2019 RL to replace the F150. 2 months in heard a ting. Got home looked at windshield and sure enough small pin head size nick in windshield. Drove to work next day and garaged when I got home. Next morning crack started across the windshield.
Finally had to replace it. Doing research, I've learned that in the new acoustic windshields it is likely that the 2 inches around the outside edges of the windshield are the most vulnerable. I do believe that the acoustic windshield doesn't make that much difference in in deadening the noise in the cabin. Also, I do believe these new windshields are inferior to the old non-acoustic windshields. I know others will disagree and that's fine. If I get another windshield crack I will ask for a non-acoustic windshield.

I find it hard to believe that insurance carriers are not complaining about theses new windshields. If you have a deductable then the windshield replacement companies are happy to take your money. In my case, I paid nothing.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,368 Posts
I've been driving with a cracked windshield for several months (a long and obvious crack but not in my sight-line at all), delaying repair for no particular reason. I've 'collected' two more 'stars' on the windshield over the months since the big-crack incident :(. I'm not a tailgater, all were gravel thrown-up from opposing / adjacent lanes.

I've long carried $1k deductible on vehicles, my State Farm TX policy covering glass under the comp with no special glass coverage options available (glass damage that can be 'epoxy repaired' is 100% covered). Historically that's worked well for me, the few windshields I've replaced over many decades running only a few hundred bucks each.

Lowering the comp deductible to $100 would increase my premium $40/year; claims under the comp coverage for "no-fault" events such as stone damage to the windshield do not affect rates / can't be the basis of any 'surcharge'.

The windshield replacement cost on the RL (and it's 'magnetic properties', lol) has me re-thinking my risk-tolerance insofar as that item .... an insurance adjustment is likely in the offing after I get this one fixed.

** Yeah, I 'shop' insurance every couple of years ... no, to date no-one comes close to matching, much less beating, my SF package (auto + home) cost for like coverage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts