Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember there being a thread that dealt with clogged washer nozzles, but after a search, I came up empty. :(

I was wondering what the "proper" diameter of the hole is, on our Ridgelines' nozzles. I was about to use a small needle on them, but hesitated because I don't want to change the opening... I just want to unclog them. (It was raining pretty hard, and I couldn't tell if the nozzles are plastic or metal.)

All-of-a-sudden, the passenger side nozzle's spray is hitting the edge of the hood, and all that's coming out of the driver side's nozzle is a dribble.
The reservoir is full and has never been low enough to introduce any residue into the system, so I don't know what happened. They're not frozen... the weather's been warm and spring-like lately.

I was thinking of using some short bursts of compressed air to "blow back" the clog, in hopes that they would then be flushed-out when I activate the washer, but I'd have to do that at work tomorrow. I suppose it can wait.

Anybody have any "novel approaches" they've used that worked? Or am I unnecessarily overly-concerned about enlarging the nozzles' openings by using the simple needle method? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
In the past on other vehicles, I have used needles to clear the washer heads. I was also able to adjust the spray placement with the needle too. I have had one plugged by debris from using a water hose to fill the water tank and the needle do not clear it. Good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I remember there being a thread that dealt with clogged washer nozzles, but after a search, I came up empty. :(

I was wondering what the "proper" diameter of the hole is, on our Ridgelines' nozzles. I was about to use a small needle on them, but hesitated because I don't want to change the opening... I just want to unclog them. (It was raining pretty hard, and I couldn't tell if the nozzles are plastic or metal.)

All-of-a-sudden, the passenger side nozzle's spray is hitting the edge of the hood, and all that's coming out of the driver side's nozzle is a dribble.
The reservoir is full and has never been low enough to introduce any residue into the system, so I don't know what happened. They're not frozen... the weather's been warm and spring-like lately.

I was thinking of using some short bursts of compressed air to "blow back" the clog, in hopes that they would then be flushed-out when I activate the washer, but I'd have to do that at work tomorrow. I suppose it can wait.

Anybody have any "novel approaches" they've used that worked? Or am I unnecessarily overly-concerned about enlarging the nozzles' openings by using the simple needle method? :confused:
Use a small pin or needle. The nozzles are adjustable. Put the pin into the nozzle (about an eighth of an inch) and you will be able to adjust (point) the nozzle. Try it until it sprays where you want it. Don't worry about hurting the nozzles. Push the pin in far enough to clear the blockage.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Frank,

You said that both jets are spraying erratically and weak. This tells me that your problem is a loss of system pressure before the two jets.

Have your wife sit inside the RL working the washer button while you check for leaks on the hose from the reservoir up until the hood. Chances are that there's a blockage down below or a loose/cut hose.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Managed to get the passenger side fully opened and adjusted by simply using a sewing needle to clear it and aim it a little lower (it swivels on a ball-like joint). I could've bumped it out of adjustment while clearing ice/snow from the windshield...
I had the driver's side one opened for a couple squirts, but it clogged again and no amount of probing with the needle, or a twist-tie (with the paper stripped off it) will keep it opened up. Still just a dribble... :(

I used a can of compressed air, but couldn't really get a good seal with it...
Wasn't able to use the compressor at work to blow it out yet. That'll be my next move, but I'll hafta be careful not to blow the tube completely off the nozzle assembly with the 125psi. Looks like it would be a PITA to remove/replace the cowling to re-attach the tubing. :rolleyes:

Can't see any leakage, so something's just gotta be plugging it.
Hmmmm... just thought... maybe I can "fish" a thin guitar "E" string down through the delivery tube? It might be plugged where the tubing "T's off" the passenger side... if that's the way it's designed. I'll try a search for a pic of the washer tubing assembly... probably similar to the Pilot's... I dunno.

The nozzle's orifice is alot larger than I thought it would be... the slot in the tip (across the hole) gives it the "fan spray" effect.

Thanks for the replies. :cool:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doh! :p

I have the service manual! Duh! :eek:

It's not a "T"... it's a "y" connection just before the driver's side nozzle. And although it looks to be an unlikely item to clog (only one "leg" of it), I suppose it could be the culprit.
Now where's that broken "E" string I saved for a circumstance just like this! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it! :D

The nozzle appears to have been blocked on it's input side (where the tubing connects to it).
With the guitar string, I was able to make whatever bend was necessary to get farther into the nozzle (about 1.25") than the needle allowed. I then twisted it around (like a plumber's "electric eel" would) to break-up what must've been a build-up of Rain-X residue(?). That's the last fluid that I used in the tank. Orrrr... it could've been residue from a 303 Protectant tablet that I used last summer. I dunno.
It blocked-up again, temporarily, as the clog migrated to the orifice, but cleared after multiple pumps of fluid.
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts