Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some pretty nasty conditions here in the Anchorage area this weekend. The family and I were supposed to drive out to Knik River and go stay the weekend out in a cabin (about an hour outside of town) on Friday when we heard the weather had taken a turn for the worst. The drive out on the Glen Highway (which goes out to Wasilla and beyond) is notorious for being bad in the winter and traffic is always rough. I figured, awesome - the Ridgeline will meet the challenge, I'm sure of it.

Driving out around 6PM, it's been dark for at least two hours. The snow flurries made visibility only about 50 feet in front of you and most lights were blotted out or had little illumination. We made it out in about an hour and a half, speed was reduced by 30-50% in most places.

I have to say, the LED lights worked perfect in the flurries. That knife edge of light cut through most of the snow really well. Brights are basically right above that but were mostly useless since they amplified the snow coming down - kept them off the entire time.

Traction wise, the stock tires worked great. No real slippage that you wouldn't expect in any other vehicle or tires and powered up hills and mountains without much trouble at all. Snow depth on most of the roads was over the bumper except for the ruts of other vehicles. By the time we got to the cabin, the back end of the truck was completely white, just covered in snow by about 2 inches. I had to dig the tailgate out of it just to get to our stuff.

Overall, I'm still in love with my Ridgeline. It's a solid truck that can go where most SUV's and cars can't but doesn't drive or ride like a truck. It was a pure pleasure to drive and the family was nice, warm and comfortable in it. I've had a pulled muscle in my back and I wasn't stiff or sore after a long drive.

Some pics:

The daylight pictures after after the first night and after we've cleaned off most of the truck. Got a shot of how high up we were and how far out it was. And of course a mountain of snow all over the cabins. The cover and side opening tail gate are perfect for winter time stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why do I always see AK as Arkansas and then feel stupid?

Never mind

We had ice, or were supposed to have ice, so my RL hid in the garage. I am sure he would have been fine with the conditions it is just there is always some idiot out there to worry about.

Good to hear they handle well.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Snow depth on most of the roads was over the bumper except for the ruts of other vehicles.
Dang Im surprised you made it in that time, thats hard to drive in when its over the bumper.. I had a hard time at my place,had to park on the road and walk in to get to the blower, no way I could drive thru this. Ive cracked two front clips and a rear trying to drive thru deep snow and not bashing my way.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang Im surprised you made it in that time, thats hard to drive in when its over the bumper.. I had a hard time at my place,had to park on the road and walk in to get to the blower, no way I could drive thru this. Ive cracked two front clips and a rear trying to drive thru deep snow and not bashing my way.
Now that's a snowblower!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Presently in the Midwest in the "ice-storm." Was similarly interested to see how the truck would perform on roads coated with ice. Checked the cameras for I-80 in Nebraska and almost no one is on the road. Took the truck out in a small town with no traffic and tried to get it to skid. No question that moving forward at 20 and slamming on the brakes produced uncertain results, but by and large the braking system did what it is supposed to and I stopped fairly quickly, fairly straight. Then tried accelerating at an unreasonable speed to see what would happen. The truck started to fishtail or at least move sideways and a yellow light illuminated in the upper left of the dash each time indicating that the stabilizing system was working. Each time it brought the truck back to a straight line. Pretty impressive.

I would never drive like this in these conditions normally. Just wanted to see what it would do in a safe environment. These are the stock Firestone all terrains.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Presently in the Midwest in the "ice-storm." Was similarly interested to see how the truck would perform on roads coated with ice. Checked the cameras for I-80 in Nebraska and almost no one is on the road. Took the truck out in a small town with no traffic and tried to get it to skid. No question that moving forward at 20 and slamming on the brakes produced uncertain results, but by and large the braking system did what it is supposed to and I stopped fairly quickly, fairly straight. Then tried accelerating at an unreasonable speed to see what would happen. The truck started to fishtail or at least move sideways and a yellow light illuminated in the upper left of the dash each time indicating that the stabilizing system was working. Each time it brought the truck back to a straight line. Pretty impressive.

I would never drive like this in these conditions normally. Just wanted to see what it would do in a safe environment. These are the stock Firestone all terrains.
I was dropping a buddy off at church last night and saw a nice large parking lot so I did some donuts (haven't really been afforded the op before). The truck does stabilize fairly quickly when it's sliding out of control. Still need to get a GoPro or something similar.

Posted another shot of the snow from this weekend. Was going to do donuts out here but didn't want to slid into a big rock or something hidden under the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you use the snow mode or normal mode. Did you notice any difference between the two modes?
I use the snow mode. The whole truck has a very advanced computer, I think it helps to let it do it's job :) It does make a difference in throttling and handling. Big difference is stopping and starting. Starting you get less of a spin out and keeps you in your lane. Without it you get a little of the fishtailing and more spin. Of course you can manage it yourself without it but with all things going on in the city, it's one less thing for me to worry about. And it's two button presses to get to that mode.

Now if donuts are your thing, I'd advise against using snow mode - kind of puts a damper on the fun!

Reactions: OFD107

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use the snow mode.
But what about on this? Took another drive in the aftermath of the ice-storm, while roads still frozen at around 25F. I can't find the ice mode on the RTL-E ... Truck performed just about same as mentioned in earlier post. Most impressive to me is how it stabilizes automatically to a straight forward direction when I intentionally swerve a bit to lose traction. But, there is only so much all-terrain tires can do when stopping on an ice rink.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But what about on this? Took another drive in the aftermath of the ice-storm, while roads still frozen at around 25F. I can't find the ice mode on the RTL-E ... Truck performed just about same as mentioned in earlier post. Most impressive to me is how it stabilizes automatically to a straight forward direction when I intentionally swerve a bit to lose traction. But, there is only so much all-terrain tires can do when stopping on an ice rink.
In my experience, black ice is dangerous in any vehicle and just about any tire (studs or non). Snow mode could help with some handling aspects but an ice rink is only fun for skaters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently had the change to put it in SNOW mode and yes I did notice a little difference.
I have to admit it was exciting and I had a blast driving thru the snow. Truck handled like a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently had the change to put it in SNOW mode and yes I did notice a little difference.
I have to admit it was exciting and I had a blast driving thru the snow. Truck handled like a dream.

Nice snow tracks... were you just having fun or did you intentionally remove the tracks for the photo?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at other BE's with snow on them makes them looks just like mine. It's kind of weird to see. I have such a personal relationship with my Ridgeline that these other photos are like, "Aw, Ridgeline went to Canada and did that today," like it's just the one truck :p

Reactions: murderlicious

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ice driving is manageable as long as you have the patience & mindset/skill set. :wink:

I've done this with the exact same car (always explore s & learning..and practicing ! :grin: )

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ice driving is manageable as long as you have the patience & mindset/skill set. :wink:

I've done this with the exact same car (always explore s & learning..and practicing ! :grin: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KGBfp7ZaY
Yes, well let's consider that the car they are using has a standard shift, apparently (didn't watch it all) rear wheel drive, etc. Having lived in a ski area in the Rockies for multiple winters and at the time driving a front wheel drive Celica to work in the morning before the plows were out (or over Vail Pass in whiteout conditions), my experience is that every car is a bit different and an AWD with the safety features of the RTL-E will react very differently than a rear or front wheel drive without same, for example. The only way to really get a feel for it is to find a safe place and drive in those conditions, intentionally putting yourself into a slide and seeing how to get out of it. (Hard to get access to a skating rink, but a supermarket parking lot at night is good.) As I noted in a post above, on a completely iced over road, the RTL-E corrected an intentional slide forward while accelerating, apparently by selective use of each of the wheels. Whether I could have done same without such sensing I don't know, but it was impressive. Certainly few people would be able to perform better than the car's automatic adjustments in those conditions. The thing about ice though is that in the end, slow is best. Once you lose traction on ice, it's very hard to regain until you slow again, and you may slow down only when you hit an immovable object.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I was dropping a buddy off at church last night and saw a nice large parking lot so I did some donuts (haven't really been afforded the op before). The truck does stabilize fairly quickly when it's sliding out of control. Still need to get a GoPro or something similar.

Posted another shot of the snow from this weekend. Was going to do donuts out here but didn't want to slid into a big rock or something hidden under the snow.
Cant tell on my computer but is that a pole barn in the upper left corner of your pic or a Yurt. If it is a yurt I would enjoy seeing some pics up close. Ive always been interested in them for another means of shelter. If not Carry on............:grin:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Try to find an empty & SAFE area with mix conditions (if you're lucky ! :smile:)...Then ... Put it in MUD or SAND mode and have fun !!! :nerd: :laugh: >:) :grin: :wink:

It turns OFF the VSA... :wink: :nerd:

Practice..practice...practice...be a SAFE & SKILLED driver :wink:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts