Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 and it is about to start snowing here in Minnesota. We get a lot of snow and I take a lot of trips to ski resorts where I usually have to go through some snow. Are my stock tires good enough to handle the snow and slush or should I buy a 2nd set of full on winter tires?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Hello, I have a 2014 and it is about to start snowing here in Minnesota. We get a lot of snow and I take a lot of trips to ski resorts where I usually have to go through some snow. Are my stock tires good enough to handle the snow and slush or should I buy a 2nd set of full on winter tires?
You can't beat a dedicated set of winter tires.
We did not get them for Ridgeline but had them for my older 94 Accord & 2000 Acura TL. We got for this area deep snow ice and the tires worked wonderful.
Had to take a emergency trip to Eastern Shore of Maryland from Sothern Maryland one evening. Neither area gets a great deal of snow like Washington DC does on occasion. This time the snow was predicted more for that area.
I had some snow tires on and at least 35 cars were pulled over on the side of the road but I was still moving very slow but moving. Some were AWD/4WD vehicles. It was the tires that got me back.
So if this is the type of weather you are going to be driving in invest in a set of winter tires.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am in exactly the same situation here in New England - plenty of snow, many trips to ski resorts. For your situation I strongly recommend a dedicated winter tire and wheel setup - I have Blizzak DVM-V1s in 235/65R18, just a little narrower than stock. I put mine on the stock wheels, and mounted the original Michelins on other wheels. The Blizzaks are unbelievable - they make a huge difference on ice.

F

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I went through five winters in the mountains of Colorado with the Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires driving an '08 Avalanche Z71 a 2014 Ram 1500 4WD. The Avalanche had auto 4WD. As the previous posters wrote, traction is all about the tires, but I had no trouble with my Michelins and the vehicles I was driving did not have near the capability of the VTM-4 system. Of course, I was very careful driving in ice and deep slush.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It was a side by side comparison test video of winter tires and OEM tires done on 2 separate Ridgeline Trucks. This was done in snow at different speeds with cornering and braking ect. It was a Black and a Redrock colored Ridgeline in the comparison and of course the one with winter tires did way better.
I can't remember if tire company or place like Tire Rack did comparison.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I definitely recommend winter tires. One of the smartest investments in a vehicle. I have the Blizzak DM-V1 in stock size on their own rims.
I ordered the rims and TPMS from Honda and I can switch between winter and summer tires without issues. The Ridgeline is almost invincible with these tires.
I have driven on the highway and not even noticed that the road is icy until other vehicles started to spin out all around me.
I have also lost control and spun a complete 360 on an overpass on the I35 in Minnesota, however this was in a different vehicle with warn out all season tires. It was terrifying since a transport truck was approaching in the oncoming lane. I am pretty confident that winter tires would have saved me from losing control like that even on a frozen overpass.
I have never driven in winter with the stock Michelin's.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It was a side by side comparison test video of winter tires and OEM tires done on 2 separate Ridgeline Trucks. This was done in snow at different speeds with cornering and braking ect. It was a Black and a Redrock colored Ridgeline in the comparison and of course the one with winter tires did way better.
I can't remember if tire company or place like Tire Rack did comparison.
Do a search for a youtube (Snow Tire Testing All Wheel Dive Trucks)
The Ridgeline comparison should be one of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in exactly the same situation here in New England - plenty of snow, many trips to ski resorts. For your situation I strongly recommend a dedicated winter tire and wheel setup - I have Blizzak DVM-V1s in 235/65R18, just a little narrower than stock. I put mine on the stock wheels, and mounted the original Michelins on other wheels. The Blizzaks are unbelievable - they make a huge difference on ice.

F
how much does it run to have the winter and summer tires swapped twice a year?

My main concern is paying for a 2nd set of wheels.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
how much does it run to have the winter and summer tires swapped twice a year?

My main concern is paying for a 2nd set of wheels.
The tire chain that has my tire business does not charge for any changeover or tire balancing or rotations for as long as my tires have tread. All I do is run their tires and all that is free. They are in the NW USA and the company is Les Schwab.

All I had to do was buy a second set of wheels when my RL was new. This company has been taking care of my tires for 45 years.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
In the Metro Detroit Area, Belle Tire does the same and even has a Storage Service, I hear the ads all the time on 97.1 the Ticket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts