Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who live/drive where it snows regularly, has anyone removed the cowl seal (seals the hood to the cowl) at the base of the windshield to allow engine heat to help melt snow build-up? Seems like a stretch but If so, did it work?

I'm looking for ways to prevent having to dig out snow pack from the wiper area. As always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think it would indeed be a "stretch" personally.

Are you talking about snow buildup when the vehicle is parked? If so, perhaps a windshield wrap of some type modified or hung lower allowing you to cover the cowl area would be better.

I do agree though the snow buildup in this area sucks.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir. I'm referring to the snow build up when I'm driving. Trying to think of a way to minimize the amount of snow that the wipers pack into that valley.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,384 Posts
I thought the wiper area had it's own defrosters? Are they not working, I've only had it in Snow once since I've owned it so I'm unsure.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
While the RL has many fine features, it is the worst vehicle I've ever had for snow build up in that area. However; letting more heat out of the engine compartment could make it worse for freezing as soon as you stop. The heated bottom strip on the windshield would have better off not there. It all freezes quickly as soon as you shut the engine off, gluing the wipers to the window. The RL is also the only vehicle I've owned that required other than normal washer fluid to keep the washer nozzles from freezing up...especially the driver's side.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly! And, it's not easy to dig it out while your on the side of the road and your wipers are binding. I just figured someone who lives/drives where snow is a daily thing may have tried this. Or may they have some other solution.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought the wiper area had it's own defrosters? Are they not working, I've only had it in Snow once since I've owned it so I'm unsure.
True, but the defrosters really only work to melt some frost/ice, it doesn't do much for a pile of snow packed in there.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The so called "heater" in the baase of the windshield is just a lie. Mine has never worked. About the snow buildup while driving. Yes I have had to pull over numerous times to clear the windshield as the defrosters are marginal in this vehicle. I have also had the wipers stopped by accumlated snow while driving and had the splines on the wiper shafts worn off by the wipers trying to remove the snow and slipping on the shafts. The wipers in the Ridgeline are a joke at best. My yugo had better wipers.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
If you're having this problem while the truck is parked outside, maybe try using some heat tape in that area to keep it from accumulating. If it's happening while you're driving... well... there isn't much you can do. I have a heated garage, so I've never had much of an issue with this. Even when my truck is parked through the day at work and it snows, the heated wiper zone is typically enough to melt anything off in that area. All you can do is have a good snow brush and try to be diligent in keeping any excess from building up in there.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Our truck is in the garage 99% of the time as well, but it's a real pain to clean this area out...especially after overnight with build up. I've had to chop it out to get the wipers working....and that's with a remote starter warming it up and defrosting. It is definitely a design flaw. IMO, the heated zone is a bell & whistle that neither rings or whistles :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes it says that in the manual but in practice its never worked on my Ridgeline. We get enough snow in Northern Virginia for this to be an issue. It should work as advertised not after I've made a mod. That aside it's still a safety issue when driving and the snow builds up on the windshield to the point the wipers quit working because they can't move the snow. Even with the defrost on high it still builds up and the wipers stop while moving on the road. Scary stuff!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts