Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience on Honda wipers-is it better to just replace the rubber inserts in the front wiper blades or better to replace the entire blade? Price difference is about $14.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've used the inserts for years and no issues. There may be better choices out there but I've been satisfied with the O.E. performance thus no reason to switch to something else. You have to be careful when reusing the metal hardware. If you keep your car in the garage, they last a long time. I do use winter blades in the winter.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The OEM frames on most cars are much better than most of the aftermarket crap out there. I always use inserts if applicable. Usually they are very simple to replace and cost very little. A good tip is to treat your windshield with Aquapel twice a year, amazing difference.

Reactions: 8myb8

·
Registered
371 Posts
My 2008 Ridgeline the wiper inserts lasted for 6 years, I got them installed free by the service sales person and purchased them at the parts dept. for $11.00, can't beat that deal.

trainman

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You really want to stay with OEM inserts. Reuse the frame. Most OEM inserts have more of a rubber mix than vinyl which deteriorates much quicker. Which also makes them cheaper,but way Not better.?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
My 2008 Ridgeline the wiper inserts lasted for 6 years, I got them installed free by the service sales person and purchased them at the parts dept. for $11.00, can't beat that deal.

trainman
lol, around here wiper blades last about 3 months. I have had a few freak sets that lasted over a year.

My stockers are already streaking or leaving lines on the glass and they been treated fairly. No accidental sweeps over ice or anything.

I do plan on trying the Honda inserts for a while. Was hoping the originals would last until my first free oil change.

Reactions: Poirike1

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Most of the time they are
good. I after a couple of years put Odyssey blades on. For what eveur reason my passenger side would hump up in the middle and stop wiping a good portion of the windshield. During the winter in a snow storm. Since putting the Odyssey ones on problem solved. Did have to adjust tension on drivers wiper arm to get it to wipe correctly.
You can also help make them last longer by cleaning wiping edge with #0000 bronze wool. While windshield and blades are wet. Clean windshield very carefully , wet with No pressure let the texture of the wool clean glass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,963 Posts
I haven't been able to find any aftermarket blades for the RL. The driver's side blade is huge. So far the OE blades have been fine for me, but my experience has been that once winter comes it separates the wheat from the chaff. You have even a slight bit of ice on your windshield and you have streaks thereafter; you gotta get that windshield completely free of ice. But even then, some blades get pitted from snow. The blades the do best in the summertime rain often don't stand up to the winter.

I happened to check out wipers at BernardiParts.com yesterday and they are selling inserts for $9 a pair. Until there's something better to compare them with, I wouldn't think twice at that price. And I didn't. Click ... right into the bag.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
lol, around here wiper blades last about 3 months. I have had a few freak sets that lasted over a year.

My stockers are already streaking or leaving lines on the glass and they been treated fairly. No accidental sweeps over ice or anything.

I do plan on trying the Honda inserts for a while. Was hoping the originals would last until my first free oil change.
Maybe it's because I live in Texas and the weather is not that harsh and the wipers are seldom used. My RL is also seldom driven and sets inside out of the weather, less then 5,000 miles per year on my old 2008 RL, my new RL will most likely have less miles, I may never have to buy another set of wiper blades again.

trainman

·
Registered
341 Posts
I too have had similar excellent experiences with "Stock" Wiper Blade Inserts. In fact Consumer Reports ran tests and most of the time factory wiper inserts were the superior performer (including length of life).

Here are the Honda Part Numbers (as I always keep an extra set of Wiper Inserts, Engine & Cabin Air Filters, and in the RL's case I've had my Engine Cover Striker Pins off so many times fiddling with Headlights that I'd already broken one of those...so I keep some of those around, too. I get the majority of my Honda parts from Mike at Griffith Motors. A Honda Dealer in The Dalles, OR (no tax) are also on eBay 800-395-0250.

- Rubber Blades Insert 650mm Drivers
- 76622-SMA-004

- Rubber Blades Insert 600mm Passenger
- 76622-TG7-A01​

I've only strayed form "stock" wiper blade inserts a few times (like our '02 EuroVan Weekender)...and whenever I had, I quickly returned...as it's true "stock" arms and blades are all specifically designed to work together (so they don't hop at certain speeds).

Another lil' trick is I learned form a Meguiar'ss Rep. long long ago was to the polish the Windshield with Meguiar's Professional Line of #2 (not the poo #2) The Meguiars #2. :) If a person does that you don't even need wiper blades (everything runs off like magic). ;) I have some Rain-X but I've never tried it (yet anyway)...but I'd guess it might be similar. At least in the Meguiar's #2 case a person is basically just getting everything off the glass (i.e. even the lil' bits of rubber and micro coating of rubber that all wipers eventually leave behind during use).

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another lil' trick is I learned form a Meguiar'ss Rep. long long ago was to the polish the Windshield with Meguiar's Professional Line of #2 (not the poo #2) The Meguiars #2. :) If a person does that you don't even need wiper blades (everything runs off like magic). ;) I have some Rain-X but I've never tried it (yet anyway)...but I'd guess it might be similar. At least in the Meguiar's #2 case a person is basically just getting everything off the glass (i.e. even the lil' bits of rubber and micro coating of rubber that all wipers eventually leave behind during use).

Are you taking about the Fine Cut #2? Just want to make sure. I did hear that as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are you taking about the Fine Cut #2? Just want to make sure. I did hear that as well.

Correct, Meguiar's Professional Fine Cut #2...sorry, showing my age with all the Meguiar's numbers...I've trained all my daughters so we just call out the numbers like a surgeon asking for a scalpel. :)

So like usual, a person should try not to get it on plastic trim. I usually use #40 (Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner) on all plastics/rubber/vinyl trim parts (NOT Wiper Blades to be clear) before applying any compounds or polishes, as it helps to wipe those parts off, if a person goes awry. :)

But #2 has really never been too much of a problem if a person gets to wild off onto plastic/rubber parts.

Also I've always applied it by hand using South Korean Microfiber covers applicators...but I finally got a Flex XC 3401...that I used for the first time on RL and works great on shower door glass, too. ;)

Reactions: Border411

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,576 Posts

About 20 years ago, I had a '92 Dakota down in Texas - it's windshield had gotten a bit pitted from West Texas sun and dirt (red dirt that is often airborne).

I got fed up with the scratchy windshield one day and decided to polish it up. Used either Mother's or Meguiar's, can't remember which, Mag & Aluminum Polish, and some fine-grit sandpaper and wet-sanded it. Windshield came out looking better than new!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Depends on where you live imho. If you are exposed to road salt and the like, replace the whole assembly. Salt will affect the metal and springs in the wiper assy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
So like usual, a person should try not to get it on plastic trim. I usually use #40 (Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner) on all plastics/rubber/vinyl trim parts (NOT Wiper Blades to be clear) before applying any compounds or polishes, as it helps to wipe those parts off, if a person goes awry. :)
Do you also use #40 for the plastic on the entire vehicle (wheel edge trim etc) before waxing?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts