Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked the way the OEM wipers performed. When I had the '07 RL I ordered several set of blade refills from HandA. Today I decided it was time to change the blades on my '09 RL. Knowing I still had the refills, I thought I was in good shape. SURPRISE...they changed the size. On my '07 the drivers blade was longer than the passenger side. On the '09 both blades are the same size. Unfortunately, neither is the same size as on the '07.

Just thought I would pass this information along, in case others haven't already discovered this change. The RL still ROC's!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a few pair of wiper blades at $8.00 a set.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Interesting that they changed the sizes... wonder if the stroke distance has changed at all...? I don't like how the passenger-side wiper's stroke stops right in the middle of the driver's view on the windshield on my 2006. If the wipers are cold, there is inevitably a streak left there, right where I'm looking thru it. :rolleyes:
Once they warm-up, and after a few 'spritzes' of cleaner, it's not so bad, but the design could've been better, I'd think.
Do the 2009's have this 'problem'?

On another related note... I've had my Bosch Icons on since 10/07! This is the third winter and they're still performing pretty good.
Actually, I thought they'd been changed by my service dept (at a state inspection), but the Valeo Ultimates are still at the ready in the trunk. I bought them over a year ago to replace the Icons, but after 're-conditioning' them (the Icons), I didn't need to. I've only got ~23,000miles on my RL, tho... so that could be a factor. :D

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have the Bosh Icons as well and love them much better wipper IMO than OEM. I couldn't stand the OEM and once I needed new ones I switch and haven't looked back. I had the RainX ones on before and they where crap, replaced them with the Boshes.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
I recently ordered some OEM replacement blades for my wife's Pilot not realizing that because I'd replaced the wiper assembly sometime back with a 3rd party assembly, the OEM refills wouldn't fit. So now I'm stuck with some useless (to me) refills unless I order the OEM wiper assembly.

I looked at those Bosch Icons over at Amazon.com but some of the criticism is that they aren't very good after 60 days or so.

I know a while back people were raving about PIAA wipers but those seem pretty pricey to me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that they changed the sizes... wonder if the stroke distance has changed at all...? I don't like how the passenger-side wiper's stroke stops right in the middle of the driver's view on the windshield on my 2006. If the wipers are cold, there is inevitably a streak left there, right where I'm looking thru it. :rolleyes:
Once they warm-up, and after a few 'spritzes' of cleaner, it's not so bad, but the design could've been better, I'd think.
Do the 2009's have this 'problem'?
Yes, this is still an issue. Like you said, after a few wipes with washer fluid most of it is gone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just put on those single piece blades that are sort of formed into a spring by themselves and they work great. $8 ea at Costco.
I bought the same ones about a month ago at Costco. They're great! Goodyear Assurance wipers. Remember, 22 inches for driver/passenger side on '09 and up.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I recently ordered some OEM replacement blades for my wife's Pilot not realizing that because I'd replaced the wiper assembly sometime back with a 3rd party assembly, the OEM refills wouldn't fit. So now I'm stuck with some useless (to me) refills unless I order the OEM wiper assembly.

I looked at those Bosch Icons over at Amazon.com but some of the criticism is that they aren't very good after 60 days or so.

I know a while back people were raving about PIAA wipers but those seem pretty pricey to me.
I saw in another thread that the oem refills fit in the icon's assembly... not sure of the name of the thread... :(

maybe it's in one of the links down there vvv at the bottom of the page or in one of the "wipers suck in the snow" threads.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
I saw in another thread that the oem refills fit in the icon's assembly... not sure of the name of the thread... :(

maybe it's in one of the links down there vvv at the bottom of the page or in one of the "wipers suck in the snow" threads.
For the price of the Icon, I can get OEMs from H&A. (~$18/pr)

Then I know they'd fit.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get the wiper refills from HandA also. For 2009 & 2010 they are $7.32 each. I order several sets an air filter and a cabin filter. Shipping is very reasonable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought the premium Bosch blades too and they were awful. Finally dumped them for the Michelin beam style blades from Target. The Michelin's work great but I'll probably try the Costco blades next time since they are about half the price.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I liked the Valeo's and I then tried out the Bosch due to a sale. Those were a waste and only worked for about 4 months. I now use PEAK Optix flat blades that I get at Sam's club. The price is around $10 each.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are any wipers that are any better than any other out there. I have bought the $10 wipers and $40 wipers and they all seem the same…they work great when they are new and the windshield is fairly clean, but after a while they all start to streak and need to be replaced after a few months. I know I am fairly finicky about how my windshield should be but, come on, can't anybody create a decent wiper that cleans the windshield well for more than a couple months before needing to be replaced? I've tried the Piaa's, the Latitudes, the Bosch, Michelins, Goodyears, whatever the cheapest ones were at Walmart, etc…and they all suck.

My strategy from now on is buy the cheapest ones/the ones on sale and use them until they go bad, replace, repeat….

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are any wipers that are any better than any other out there. I have bought the $10 wipers and $40 wipers and they all seem the same…they work great when they are new and the windshield is fairly clean, but after a while they all start to streak and need to be replaced after a few months. I know I am fairly finicky about how my windshield should be but, come on, can't anybody create a decent wiper that cleans the windshield well for more than a couple months before needing to be replaced? I've tried the Piaa's, the Latitudes, the Bosch, Michelins, Goodyears, whatever the cheapest ones were at Walmart, etc…and they all suck.

My strategy from now on is buy the cheapest ones/the ones on sale and use them until they go bad, replace, repeat….
This is why I like the PEAK's... They work well and to me are inexpensive.
I’ve always throught wipers were to be changed at least every 6 months… I push the limit to once a year.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have over a year on the OEM blades. They are still wiping clean, despite all of the crap they've been dealing with...50 inches of snow YTD and counting. We had 20 inches last December too. With all of the melt currently happening, the whole truck looks like hell. At least the windshield is clear.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My OEM's lasted 18 months. I just put Trico on they are great! I did put the right on the left and the left on the right and when they wouldn't click in the arms I figured it out and switched them around. My biggest beefs about the wipers are that one, they don't flip unless you have them stopped half way up. two, the longer one does stop right in front of my vision so I get that streak on the windshield, and third, Honda should win an award for the best ice/snow/leaf/crap catcher in the automotive world for that no-mans land where the wipers hide! That damn area catches everything:act060:!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I got the refills for my 06, at a dealer for $14.00, I will never buy aftermarket for my other vehicles.

To save $6-9.00 Id better just go to the dealer just in case I need to return them only 2 miles away anyway.

Thanks
I will keep an eye on the size next time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wipers are one of the few places where the dealer is competitive and will even put them on for free. The OEM's are as good as any others I have tried. We have had a Honda of one kind or another constantly since 1982

1 - 20 of 22 Posts