Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 is a beast in every season. Has anyone else in snow weather climates realized that the wipers can not be place up during ice conditions? I have battle scars on my hood to prove it. CMON honda, you guys are smarter than this. Oh yeah 2017 on the way.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My 07 is a beast in every season. Has anyone else in snow weather climates realized that the wipers can not be place up during ice conditions? I have battle scars on my hood to prove it. CMON honda, you guys are smarter than this. Oh yeah 2017 on the way.
I could be wrong (I don't live in snow country), but IIRC you CAN leave your wipers in the "up" position; it just takes some unconventional effort. I do this to change my wiper blades.
What you need to do is to turn on your key, and turn on your wipers; THEN turn the key off when the wipers are in the position you want them (up). That's the only way I know of, but it would work fine for you....... BUT, remember that they are going to try to move as soon as you turn your key on again, so remove that snow & ice around them & PUT THEM BACK DOWN FIRST before putting your key in, or you might have more problems than you bargained for.

This is advice from a sunshine boy, so if there are hazards to this unknown to me, I'm sure others will chime in with appropriate comments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dnick is right - this is the same method for changing your wiper blades - but I agree with Cityslicka - The Ridgeline is the only vehicle I know of that you can just simply lift up the wipers at will - I will add it to the list of things I dont like about my Ridgeline:

1. aftermarket support
2. windshield wipers cant lift off easily from windshield

the list is growing....:wink:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Honda probably figured we wouldn't have the need too since they have the defroster where the wipers sit.

Honda was wrong. There is a need every once in awhile tho raise your wipers.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
raise the hood to the vertical position and lift up the wipers
OK so are you suppose to leave the hood open in a snowstorm?:frown:

·
Registered
244 Posts
See a few wipers in the air in winter and I've preferred to start vehicle then thoroughly scrape the windscreen and then flex and inspect wipers.
What is the major benefit to wipers in air method?

·
Registered
26 Posts
See a few wipers in the air in winter and I've preferred to start vehicle then thoroughly scrape the windscreen and then flex and inspect wipers.
What is the major benefit to wipers in air method?
Here in New England, it's so much better to raise up the wipers off the windshield whenever any type of freezing precip is forecasted. Benefits? The wipers don't freeze to the glass and don't get damaged when scraping, and the system doesn't trip out when accidentally started with the wipers on.

Given a choice between up or down, most folks seem to put their wipers up in my area. I'll put it back to you: What's the major benefit to leaving the wipers down on the glass when freezing precip is in the forecast?

I love my Ridge but the wipers don't work well at all in any kind of freezing weather. They trip out for a minute or two when the snow gets too heavy, snow builds up between the hood lip and the bottom of the wipers, and the heated strip at the bottom of the windshield does nothing at all - at least in my '13 RTL.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Given a choice between up or down, most folks seem to put their wipers up in my area. I'll put it back to you: What's the major benefit to leaving the wipers down on the glass when freezing precip is in the forecast?
Without it solving any problem it would just be an extra task to put them up then put them down.
Putting the wipers up may be an improvement.
I grew up in the Midwest in farm country and never saw this wipers up ritual until I was in New Jersey in the winter. I'd also never seen anyone put a coat on their dog before I was out east. Later in life I discovered Chicago was far enough east to have unique customs. Heck, they shovel the roadway in the winter then put out lawn chairs to stake a claim.
I'll have to try the wipers up method on my wife's car.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, first I have to say that I'm not in the snow a lot these days. But I've spent extended winter time in Nebraska, Japan, Rhode Island, and a little bit in Utah & the Sierras.
The first thing I would observe is that the need for this "wipers up" deal would vary largely depending on what kind of winter precipitation you get in your area. I can tell you that if you get a lot of "wet" snow &/or freezing rain, it can be a pain to break those wipers loose from the windshield after a serious storm. Whereas in some other areas, you could get a foot or more of dry snow & really not have a problem with wipers freezing to windshield.

Soooo, if you need to to this, you probably know already. If you don't, then of course you wouldn't bother. But it's very much different in different areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in a snow/ice region and though I don.t normally lift wipers
away from windshield, I do try to lift them to clear precip frozen
on wipers. Did notice windshield warms quicker using defroster button
on dash (lower right of radio); does honda have electric wires across
blower opening?? ; anyway half way thru scraping, lower windshield
is just wet.

Bigger peeve is lock/unlock buttons on key and buttons are level
to surface. Accidentally locked doors with the key in my pocket,
bummer when holding things in my hand.