Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up on the airless charger. I purchased a 2021 RTL-E, with the witless charger. It doesn’t work very well if you have any type of case on your phone. It seems to work without the case. Not many people have phones without the case, so just an FYI.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a ‘21 RL with wireless charging. This coupled with an iPhone 12 makes for a frustrating experience. I normally have an OE case that connects to the phone via MagSafe, which is meant to be kept on while charging.
Anyway, case or no case, the phone intermittently cycles between charging and not charging. I tried tweaking the placement but can’t seem to get it right.

Anybody know if wireless charging can be easily disabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
270 Posts
The wireless charger on my ‘21 works fine on my iPhone, but I only use a “skin” on the phone (no case).

As other have reported, the 2021 will not allow the phone to pair with Apple Car play via Bluetooth. Unfortunately the phone needs to be plugged in to connect to Apple Car play

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your phone case can have an effect on performance. Since they do not have wireless android auto it is all but useless for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My problem isn’t the case specifically, it’s that with or without the case the phone never stays on the pad.

I think having the pad there for multiple people in the car could work out nice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Having a gel grip pad placed on top of the wireless charger might do the trick, though you have to make sure the pad isn’t too thick. This is the one instance I can appreciate the implementation of MagSafe by Apple in the iPhone 12s, if only the wireless charging pads were also magnetic

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will give that a try!

Having a gel grip pad placed on top of the wireless charger might do the trick, though you have to make sure the pad isn’t too thick. This is the one instance I can appreciate the implementation of MagSafe by Apple in the iPhone 12s, if only the wireless charging pads were also magnetic

·
Registered
2010 RTS
36 Posts
There are also "nano tape" products (like this or this) which you can use to make a rectangular "cradle". They're supposed to be removable without a mess. Potential downside: some reviewers mention degradation in hot weather inside the vehicle. But you're not supporting weight, so it'd probably be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently took delivery of our 2021 Black edition w/HPD package. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the wireless charger. Even the sales rep said it's almost inaccurate to call it a "charger" since mostly what it does is maintain your current battery level. You would think for a "Top of the Line" vehicle, you'd get high quality accessories. Overall we love the truck, this is a very small annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have a ‘21 RL with wireless charging. This coupled with an iPhone 12 makes for a frustrating experience. I normally have an OE case that connects to the phone via MagSafe, which is meant to be kept on while charging.
Anyway, case or no case, the phone intermittently cycles between charging and not charging. I tried tweaking the placement but can’t seem to get it right.

Anybody know if wireless charging can be easily disabled?

My 12 MaxPro with the Apple silicone cover charges perfectly on my 2021 RL. I do not ever use it as I am not a heavy phone user and the battery lasts so long.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 12 MaxPro with the Apple silicone cover charges perfectly on my 2021 RL. I do not ever use it as I am not a heavy phone user and the battery lasts so long.
The Max might make a difference here... less fore/aft and side to side movement than my non-max. I did find a position that works with my phone but less-than-aggressive driving can easily shift the phone out of this position. I thought about fabricating a cradle of some kind to help keep it in place.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The Max might make a difference here... less fore/aft and side to side movement than my non-max. I did find a position that works with my phone but less-than-aggressive driving can easily shift the phone out of this position. I thought about fabricating a cradle of some kind to help keep it in place.

If you use a case, it can also make a difference. Too thick of a case can hamper charging. I also found then silicone Apple case I use to have a very “grippy” and near impossible to slide around.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
918 Posts
Just picked up my 2021 RTL-E today. Tried the wireless charging without much success.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21- 5G. I place it on the charging pad and the green light will not stay on steady for more than 10 seconds. Charging is enabled on the Vehicle Setup.

I find the green light location is rather silly. If I center the phone on the charging pad, it covers the green light. All of my experimenting with position was so I could see the green light.

Can anyone comment on success with the charging?

1 - 20 of 194 Posts