Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add a wireless phone charger to my 2017 BE. The spot right by the USB and cigarette adapter (below the head unit) seems the perfect place to put a pad in. Has anyone found a pad that would install there, preferably with a short cord? Any other ideas on where it might be convenient to add a wireless charger?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I thought wireless chargers are slower than wired? By a faster of half or so? What’s the attraction of having one in the truck?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I thought wireless chargers are slower than wired? By a faster of half or so? What’s the attraction of having one in the truck?
My phone is in a case that takes effort to remove the flap covering the port, a wireless charger would make it quicker and safer for me to charge my phone. A wireless one would let me do it with one hand.

I have been looking into getting one in the truck and one at home as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Samsung has a full kit that includes 12v Cigarette adapter, home adapter, usb mini and usb C plus a charging pad that retails around $89 us. Works on Samsung 6,7,8 series and Apple 8,8+ and 10 (X,yeah) The new high speed units from Belkin, Samsung and Mophie are all 7.5 watts and are labeled as "high speed" previous models didn't have that amount of wattage, so check that specification if your really looking to charge fast. I use all of those models every day at work, and the charge fast enough for the convenience of not messing around with the cord.

Go Team Ridgeline!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions here. Several good ideas. To answer the question of why have a wireless charger: I don't like always having the cord dangling around in the car, particularly when someone else is in the passenger side, it can get in the way or get pulled and broken. It'd be easy to just hop in the car and set the phone on a pad and not worry about it (I know this is the height of laziness but the RL has spoiled me too much already).

I particularly like the idea of attaching a DIY changing pad under the existing rubberized mat under the Head Unit, forward from the shifter, so it's totally hidden. I wonder if there's a way to route the cord under the consoles and intercept the USB power that I never use in the storage compartment between the front seats. Has anyone tried to get under these areas yet, are they accessible?

·
Super Moderator
4,808 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions here. Several good ideas. To answer the question of why have a wireless charger: I don't like always having the cord dangling around in the car, particularly when someone else is in the passenger side, it can get in the way or get pulled and broken. It'd be easy to just hop in the car and set the phone on a pad and not worry about it (I know this is the height of laziness but the RL has spoiled me too much already).

I particularly like the idea of attaching a DIY changing pad under the existing rubberized mat under the Head Unit, forward from the shifter, so it's totally hidden. I wonder if there's a way to route the cord under the consoles and intercept the USB power that I never use in the storage compartment between the front seats. Has anyone tried to get under these areas yet, are they accessible?
I accessed the area when I converted my cup holders to the "blue" lighting in my RTL-T. However, I did not go completely forward into the area of the rubber mat. It should be easy enough though, since everything is basically held together by plastic clips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I accessed the area when I converted my cup holders to the "blue" lighting in my RTL-T. However, I did not go completely forward into the area of the rubber mat. It should be easy enough though, since everything is basically held together by plastic clips.
Good to hear. How did you get into there, any guides or pictures or did you just find the clips yourself?

·
Super Moderator
4,808 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! When I get some time I will have to take it apart and check it out. Looks like it should be possible to work a wireless charger under that mat without too much trouble. Gonna be out for a few weeks so may have to give it a shot when I get back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small speed bump. Looks like the quick charge, 3 coil kits require 2 amps. USB in the console is 1.5 amps so I'd have to intercept one of the USB Ports in the back, 2.5 amps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did a very crude test. I ripped open a samsung wireless charger I had, pulled out the charging coils and board layed them flat and all still worked. Was able to charge through a mat (simulating putting it under the mat im that location) was all ready to make a cutout in the mat for the usb cord and decided to just use some stickey hooks and zips ties for the cord instead lol. Mainly because this allows me to charge fast and use AA.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool! Glad to know it will charge through the mat. Sounds like progress. How are you charging and using AA? Using the USB cord still for AA?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The funny part is I destroyed a perfectly good samsung wireless charger. Because there is only so much of it that comes apart housing wise until you get to the inards that are glued and I was too lazy to attempt to reassemble. I had another pic of it working but I must have deleted it by accident. It didn't get too hot but not sure long term if it would. The samsung housing has a cooling fan but I almost wonder if that just because it's a sealed housing for aesthetics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a bit worried about heat too. I'm wondering if maybe 3D printing a new pad that we could put the wireless charger into might be worthwhile. Plenty of sites will print and ship cheap 3D printed stuff.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They are much slower.
The newer fast charge wired one however, is very quick.
Bad case design, IMO. My wallet style works on wireless and usb port is accessible too.
I'd opt for a better designed case and fast charger if time is even a factor.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts