Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
To keep in mind, only phones with thinner cases would work with the wireless. Magnetic stickers (to magnetically attach your phone to a phone cradle) will not allow to wirelessly charge, extra battery pack cases will not allow you to charge either. My Samsung PG920 charges pretty well.

Premium Member
In my OP, faster should have been factor.

Yeah, I heard they were slow, never used one myself. Cords play a big role in charging too. Even with a great wired charger (like I have now), I have seen cords charging at 1/10-1/5 the speed of my quality Anker cables.

I might look into the newer wireless ones. As stated before in answer to my OP, they do add a safety factor, not having to plug in all the time (which I can do without looking, but it still takes two hands while steering, which is not recommended, of course.

They are much slower.
The newer fast charge wired one however, is very quick.
Bad case design, IMO. My wallet style works on wireless and usb port is accessible too.
I'd opt for a better designed case and fast charger if time is even a factor.

Registered

Registered
I'd like to add a wireless phone charger to my 2017 BE. The spot right by the USB and cigarette adapter (below the head unit) seems the perfect place to put a pad in. Has anyone found a pad that would install there, preferably with a short cord? Any other ideas on where it might be convenient to add a wireless charger?
Here's what I did.

Found a cheap-o charger on Amazon. $7.00! Dissected it, modified the mat so the charger would mostly lay flat. Glued mat and charger together with Gorilla glue. Shortened the power cord so the splice wouldn't show (it's only two tiny wires). Placed a bit of wet suit behind the charge location to hold the phone in place (also Gorilla Glue).

Some might say it looks ugly. It doesn't. It actually looks very nice. The digital camera picks up every piece of crap and accentuates it. Hence no family pictures...

Attachments

Premium Member
Nice work Ropeman! I've been contemplating this same mod and looking for the thinnest Qi charger on Amazon. does the charger you bought work with your phone in a case?

Super Moderator
I deleted all mention of the wireless charging mat from the 2019 Pilot because it definitely will not work with the Ridgeline without major modifications to the wiring. I did not want to "hack" up the wiring on my vehicle.

The kit for the Pilot came with a charging mat, trim piece, and the large center console section around the shift knob, BUT no wiring harness.

Registered
Nice work Ropeman! I've been contemplating this same mod and looking for the thinnest Qi charger on Amazon. does the charger you bought work with your phone in a case?
I don't use a case so I don't know. For the small amount I spent I just went ahead and did it. My reasoning was that most chargers are embedded in some type of mat, in this case it was about 1/4 inch. The mat in the Ridgeline is much thinner so performance should improve.

Super Moderator
I "installed' the wireless charging mat for the 2019 Honda Pilot into my 2017 RTL-T today. It was easy, but I have not attempted the wiring yet. The light assembly cup holder cover is included in the kit as well as the wireless charger.

I also ordered the wiring harness for the "2017 Accord" which had wireless charging available as an option. The 2017 Ridgeline does not have any of the required connectors to use the Accord harness. Honda obviously changed the wiring harnesses in the newest Pilot/Passport to accommodate the charging mat. I might cut off the connector that attaches to the charging mat from the Accord harness and see if I can figure out the wiring diagram and make my own harness.

It was a great idea, but the execution was much less than satisfactory and I wasted $150. My OEM charging mat looks great though.

Registered
I "installed' the wireless charging mat for the 2019 Honda Pilot into my 2017 RTL-T today. It was easy, but I have not attempted the wiring yet. The light assembly cup holder cover is included in the kit as well as the wireless charger.
It was a great idea, but the execution was much less than satisfactory and I wasted $150. My OEM charging mat looks great though.
This is exactly what I've planned on doing since day 1 of getting the car. LMK how wiring goes...I was thinking it would be pretty straight forward. It would be great to have a wiring diagram for it. There is a PDF on here that shows the complete wiring diagram for the front of the Ridgeline, would probably come in handy.

Premium Member
I thought wireless chargers are slower than wired? By a faster of half or so? What鈥檚 the attraction of having one in the truck?
They do charge a lot slower. My iPhone MAX never needs charging, even on a heavy day. But I also realize that some live on their phone.

Super Moderator
This is why people buy Toyota's. There are very few aftermarket accessories for the Ridgeline, and because of the low sales other companies are hesitant to introduce new products.

Registered
I dont even know why I own a cell phone. I get maybe a few text messages and calls per week and dont like them because it usually means some one needs help. OK thats why I have it......

Premium Member
I have the wireless charging in my Odyssey and after few uses, I have chosen to promptly turn it off. It is very slow and aside from the gimmick of 'wireless', it is faster to just charge it via the 2.5A port. Because of that, my wife and I went with the One+ phone that does not have wireless charging.

Registered
I have been using this for a few months now. Charges very fast. I loathe even touching the phone in the vehicle as it鈥檚 a distraction. Have it mounted in the center console to the 12v. Great thing about it is the phone does not move one iota. Shut the center console and won鈥檛 see it again until I鈥檓 done driving.

Registered
The RL has a charging tray - see post 31 above. As for the why - it's to keep your phone battery topped up while you have bluetooth going and maybe even playing some tunes on Pandora without having to constantly plug/unplug every stop. If you don't get that, you probably don't need it. For me, it's the only way to go. The only downside is you still have to plug in to get Android Auto, which I rarely use anyway.

Registered
The RL has a charging tray - see post 31 above. As for the why - it's to keep your phone battery topped up while you have bluetooth going and maybe even playing some tunes on Pandora without having to constantly plug/unplug every stop. If you don't get that, you probably don't need it. For me, it's the only way to go. The only downside is you still have to plug in to get Android Auto, which I rarely use anyway.
Unfortunately, that tray is too small to fit a lot of phones. I have a Samsung S9+, and it will not fit, so I'm assuming most newer upper tier phones won't fit either. I tried the ProClip + Qi charger, and it stuck too far forward and interfered with the wiper control.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts