Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just bought these. I figure for hundred bucks I can't lose and since they are wireless I should be able to install them myself no trouble. There's no way I could intall the Honda ones after looking how complicated it is and I'm sure the Honda ones bought & installed would be close to a thousand bucks. Anyway, I'll post how they work out once installed.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/wipaas4sebar.html

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Very nice find, Vertrkr. Please post details on the install once you complete it. These sensors may be a nice alternative to the ones that Honda is offering (and a lot cheaper).

Did you see the stick-on turn signal indicators at that same site?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zero said:
Very nice find, Vertrkr. Please post details on the install once you complete it. These sensors may be a nice alternative to the ones that Honda is offering (and a lot cheaper).

Did you see the stick-on turn signal indicators at that same site?
Ha, no, I missed those. Sounds like a good safety thing, I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks vertrkr, that is a very neat find. They even ship internationally. I love the distance readout - hope it's an accurate one. I also read through the installation instructions for the Honda unit and that and the price kind of dissuaded me from that route.

·
2,346 Posts
I would be surprised if Honda, either in the near future or with the next model year release, makes some of those more cumbersome to install accessories a factory option.

The dealerships will probably be begging them to do it!! :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ctrl-Z said:
Vertrkr, did you get around to installing these yet? I look forward to hearing your impressions.
I got it but not installed yet. It won't be fun installing so I'm saving it for last. The hardest part I think will be tracking down the reverse light wire in back to splice into and also a hot wire under the dash to splice into as well. Gonna be a bitch poking needles in wires to see if they are hot or not. Wish Helm had the service manual available so I could see the wiring diagrams and not waste my time. Might wait until Helm releases it, probably another month or so. Ahhh, who am I kidding, I won't wait :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vertrkr,

If you look at the installation for Honda sensors, they show how to remove bed side panel, and get a wire from there to the bumper. Also shows how to disconnect taillight, which should make it easy to find needed wire back there.
As for 12volts up front, look at lighter install, remove lower center console, and you have access to the connectors, for the 12volt outlets on lower dash.

Should not be that bad, depends where you want to mout the unit.

vertrkr said:
I got it but not installed yet. It won't be fun installing so I'm saving it for last. The hardest part I think will be tracking down the reverse light wire in back to splice into and also a hot wire under the dash to splice into as well. Gonna be a bitch poking needles in wires to see if they are hot or not. Wish Helm had the service manual available so I could see the wiring diagrams and not waste my time. Might wait until Helm releases it, probably another month or so. Ahhh, who am I kidding, I won't wait :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
delphi7x10 said:
Vertrkr,

If you look at the installation for Honda sensors, they show how to remove bed side panel, and get a wire from there to the bumper. Also shows how to disconnect taillight, which should make it easy to find needed wire back there.
As for 12volts up front, look at lighter install, remove lower center console, and you have access to the connectors, for the 12volt outlets on lower dash.

Should not be that bad, depends where you want to mout the unit.

I'd like to think I would have eventually thought of that :) You're right it shouldn't be too bad with that. Seems the only good place to mount the lcd screen is right above the left power outlet so that should make it easy and have no or barely any wire showing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is the coolest toy I've seen yet--this and the discussion about the hitch installation inspired me to join this ROC.

My own hitch and mudflaps arrived yesterday, so the mudflaps go on this morning. A recent back sprain will keep me away from the hitch install for a while, especially Vertrkr after your description of it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
laserfan said:
This is the coolest toy I've seen yet--this and the discussion about the hitch installation inspired me to join this ROC.

My own hitch and mudflaps arrived yesterday, so the mudflaps go on this morning. A recent back sprain will keep me away from the hitch install for a while, especially Vertrkr after your description of it! :eek:
Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with the mud flaps, should be easy. Of course I thought that too when I installed them on my Ody. There was no clearance to get one of the screws off between the tire and fender well. Had to get out the jack and raise that end up so the wheel would drop down a bit and give me room to work with. Easy enough though, I suspect the Ridgeline has more clearance than the Ody so it should go easy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think we all would like to see a pic of your ultimate choice for the LCD display.

The mud flaps were indeed trivial to install, although not reading the instructions first, I almost (improperly) removed the connector between the top-and-bottom screws behind the tire. Only tools needed were a stubby Philips and (I used) a needlenose pliers to pop a rivet out. Fit great, look great.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting closer on these. Installed the 4 sensors in the bumper yesterday. Really easy tapping into the reverse light wires for power. Today I'll finish 'er up installing the LCD screen up front and tapping into power probably from the power outlet wires. I'll do a full write up when done with pics.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Complete failure. Stay away from these. After spending hours on them they will not work. I've checked both units are getting power from the reverse lights and the lcd screen from the power outlet but they will not talk to each other so it's a total waste of time and money. At this point I'd recommend just getting the camera if you have the NAV model or the Honda sensors if not.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
vertrkr said:
Complete failure. Stay away from these. After spending hours on them they will not work. I've checked both units are getting power from the reverse lights and the lcd screen from the power outlet but they will not talk to each other so it's a total waste of time and money. At this point I'd recommend just getting the camera if you have the NAV model or the Honda sensors if not.
You need to be commended on all the effort you have made so far. My focus is on the factory radio. I don't seem to get any takers on the questions I have been posting. I will hopefully get my OmniFi connected soon. I should receive my parts from UPS this week and I will try and do my install this weekend. Hey Vertrkr, I will be in Union City this Saturday. Are you still thinking about Mt Diablo?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bongus said:
You need to be commended on all the effort you have made so far. My focus is on the factory radio. I don't seem to get any takers on the questions I have been posting. I will hopefully get my OmniFi connected soon. I should receive my parts from UPS this week and I will try and do my install this weekend. Hey Vertrkr, I will be in Union City this Saturday. Are you still thinking about Mt Diablo?
Just to follow up here too, They did install just fine, very clean, they just don't work is all However, I'm pretty sure my control box is bad. I'm going to order another set, swap black boxes and then return it with the bad box. All might not be lost yet.

Good luck with the radio, sorry you don't have a collaborator in the project.

Yes, I was going to make a new thread soon to see who all wanted to meet at the top of Mt. Diablo this Saturday permitting weather is good.

·
2,346 Posts
Sorry that the sensors didn't work. I hope that you can get them working by swapping out the control box.

I decided to go with the dealer installed. As much as I would love to do something like install tham myself, I have very little to no mechanical knowledge/auto modding skills.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I found the problem. Getting out my digital volt meter I found I had the polarity reversed on the power coming from the tap into the reverse lights. How stupid of me to assume orange was positive and green negative :) Unfortunately that's as far as I got as the wife left me with the infant and toddler for the night so let the diapers and crying begin, they don't seem to like to work on cars at the moment but I'm trying.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Too bad you're 3000 miles away. I'd watch your kids so you could finish the job :)

·
2,346 Posts
vertrkr,

I feel your pain. I have a just turned 2 year old and an almost 11 week old at home. Tough to get anything done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts