Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Found an issue that I didn't see in previous threads here, but did find references on google to other Honda models. My apologies if it's here and I've missed it.

Yesterday I took my 2010 RTS to the dealer for a simple A1. I grew up maintaining and repairing cars but I've been letting the dealer do most of the maintenance on mine the last several years since I've been so busy with family and work. After a bad experience yesterday, I've decided to start doing maintenance myself once again. While looking around engine compartment I noticed that there are two wire connectors near the fill valve for the brake fluid reservoir. One of them was disconnected, so I reconnected it. It's the one with the green arrow in this picture. Does anyone know what these wires do? I imagine they're related to a sensor that detects brake fluid levels. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
That looks like the brake fluid level switch connectors. Curious why they would be disconnected. ??

Regarding the DIY aspect... if you have the time and inclination, you can save a bunch of $$ and know the job has been done properly. Any mistakes, you know the mechanic to blame!

Seriously, the RL is simple to DIY the routine service items such as oil and filter, transmission fluid, transfer assembly fluid (hypoid gear oil), rear diff (VTM-4 fluid), brake pads and brake fluid flush (3 year item), coolant change, power steering fluid, and air and cabin filters. There are threads here about all that.

Sometimes it's neither convenient nor practical to DIY. But if DIY is an option, it can be a rewarding experience. Or at least a significant cost savings option. In my area, a B136 service runs around $500 and I can do it for about $125 with Mob 1 5w-20 and a quality filter plus all Honda fluids. I use other oil and air filters besides Honda, but not when it comes to fluids. For some fluids, there are no viable substitutions (VTM-4, DW-1, Honda coolant come to mind). For other fluids such as brake fluid, I find no compelling reason to go 3rd party fluids myself. My dealer typically price matches what I can get online + shipping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts