Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My backup camera on my 2007 RTL/Nav has stopped working. I found that the wiring casing between the tailgate and body has a crack in it, leaving me to believe that I have a broken wire because if I touch it the backup camera comes on. I was going to buy a new camera as the wiring is integrated with it but at $300 it seems pricey. I was thanking that maybe I could just rewire the part that is broken, Has one ever done this? What gauge of wire would I use? I see 18 gauge mentioned in several posts. If anyone has an easier way to fix this I would appreciate all comments.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'd consider a new backup Camera, there are some threads on and some exiting "Camera" installed to new HU. Those threads could be helpful

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
Just fix the wiring and you will be fine. Fixing a broken wire is not that hard.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'd second that. Why spend the time and cost of a new camera when it's less than a nickel to fix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. I'll wait till the weather gets warmer as it is 11 F here today and snowing.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I'd suggest the fix in this case means replacing the entire chunk of wire between gate and inner rear fender cuz finding the stress induced fracture isn't gonna be easy. Doing that means 2 connection points - which means there is (slight) concern over maintaining proper shield around the center conductor inside the coaxial cable. This is low voltage stuff so quality of connection is important.

There is little "noise" generating electronic activity way at the back that might pollute the image captured by the camera so it's possible the coax could be spliced without connectors. I'd do a loose trail run using a twist together splice and see what happens. Something like this:

Splice.jpg

If the image is mostly noise free up front, then solder the trail connections and protect with tape. Hopefully it'll work out so you don't have to source and invest in (4) traditional coax connectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd suggest the fix in this case means replacing the entire chunk of wire between gate and inner rear fender cuz finding the stress induced fracture isn't gonna be easy. Doing that means 2 connection points - which means there is (slight) concern over maintaining proper shield around the center conductor inside the coaxial cable. This is low voltage stuff so quality of connection is important.

There is little "noise" generating electronic activity way at the back that might pollute the image captured by the camera so it's possible the coax could be spliced without connectors. I'd do a loose trail run using a twist together splice and see what happens. Something like this:

View attachment 283185

If the image is mostly noise free up front, then solder the trail connections and protect with tape. Hopefully it'll work out so you don't have to source and invest in (4) traditional coax connectors.
Thanks for the diagram.
Much appreciated.
I am going to tackle it when the weather warms up.
Hopefully the repair will be quick and easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a 2007 Ridgeline with the same problem with wire splitting where it exits the gate and enters the body.
How did your fix go and was it easy to do?
I will be attempting this in the spring when it is warmer and not snowing.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
I also have a 2007 Ridgeline with the same problem with wire splitting where it exits the gate and enters the body.
How did your fix go and was it easy to do?
I will be attempting this in the spring when it is warmer and not snowing.
I am not sure if you are talking to yourself (this is your original thread) or your post is merged from a different thread. :nerd:

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I was shocked to see this thread considering there have been 2017 and newer Ridgelines with a similar problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts