Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a newby here at ROC and then proud owner of a 2008 Ridgeline RTL (as of 2 days ago). I love the vehicle and wished it had the backup camera. My daughter bought me a backup camera system with the monitor built into the mirror. It works beautifully but I don't want to have it plugged into the accessory port (lighter socket). Ideally I would like to connect the wires directly into the wires in the dash for the socket, leaving the front sockets available for my cell phone and my wife's cell phone. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how to access the wiring/opening the panel. I removed the the plastic tray below the power outlet sockets and removed the one screw in there, but am still unable to gain access or to find what clips/screws/etc to remove to allow me access. Any help would be appreciated. If I can't connect there, I will try connecting to the fuse panel, but am not sure where I should connect there. Time for me to pull out my multi-meter, I am guessing. One last thing, I am disabled and getting under the dash, to the fuse panel is also very difficult, which is another reason I would like to connect into the dash behind the power outlets (by the seat heater switches).

Thanks in advance,
Greg

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Welcome to the ROC. You will find plenty of help at this site. We are like a big, big family and I bet another member that lives close to you would offer to actually pay you a visit and assist in your power issue. Did you consider getting power from the roof area? There is switched and unswitched power up there. You just have to be careful as the metal up there is sharp and you can get a nasty cut if you don't protect yourself with gloves or put tape on the metal edges. If you are still looking at power from the fuse panel the center row of fuses are switched. Another point about getting power from the fuse panel is make sure you tap into the fused side of the fuse.
You will also need to post the area you live. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about taking the power from up top. Had surgery yesterday so my thinking hasn't been the best. Just a little preoccupied. I live at the Jersey shore.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My RTL has no wires on the mirror, as it doesn't have the compass in the mirror. I may have to open up the overhead console, where the map lights are, and hook in there somewhere. Now to figure out how to open that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got it open without a problem. There is no harnass for power to the mirror, so I will have to tie into the power port or the fuse panel. Looking into opening up the console at the power ports.

EDIT: I will have to go into the fuse panel because I don't have the special tool that is required to unhook/remove the console section with the power ports.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,806 Posts
I got it open without a problem. There is no harnass for power to the mirror, so I will have to tie into the power port or the fuse panel. Looking into opening up the console at the power ports.

EDIT: I will have to go into the fuse panel because I don't have the special tool that is required to unhook/remove the console section with the power ports.
I put a gentex auto dimming rear view mirror with compass in my RTS. There was a wiring harness taped up on the left side of the overhead console under the head liner and close to the windshield. Others have had this also and have used it to power their rearview mirror upgrades. If you have the RTS it may be there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the RTL, but I will still try looking again for it. Stuck my hand in as best I could and couldn't find it, but worth double checking.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the tap idea from E_piph_a_ny and it worked like a charm. Thank you all for your help. I'm still learning a lot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I used the tap idea from E_piph_a_ny and it worked like a charm. Thank you all for your help. I'm still learning a lot.
Dude! you bought a RL...welcome to the family.....

·
Registered
651 Posts
For the record, it's possable to tap onto the 12v for the lights in the overhead console. You could also tap into the power for the homelink. I used the light power for a radar detector plug so the detector fits right around the mirror and I don't have a power wire hanging down.
Those fuse taps are nice too and can be found at any auto parts store and even WalMart I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts