Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been searching online for several months but came to a dead end. I own a 2009 Honda Ridgeline RTL with 90,000 miles on it. I have had the Timing belt and pump and all the necessary idlers replaced but i get this wobble/grumbling noise when the engine is idle and once it is put in gear the sound seems to dissipate. I took my truck to my private mechanic and when he used his stethoscope he could notice the sound coming from behind the Timing Belt Cover. In order to verify this sound was odd i test drove a 2013 ridgeline and it never experienced the same sounds at idle. I know this post has come up before in the forum but no one has come up with a resolution of the source of the problem. Below is a link of the exact sound i am hearing even though it is coming from a different make and model car.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunen...835-wobble-growling-noise-behind-timing-cover

I can try to post a video of my Ridgeline making the identical sound at. Please let me know if any of you experienced this problem and the solution you found. This sound is more of annoyance and would like to pin point the issue since dissecting the timing belt section of the engine is a pricy endeavor.

Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I might be inclined to check the motor mounts. If there is a bad one, it can allow the engine to move more than normal when revved and/or put in gear. This could result in things shifting a bit and that slight shift could be why the noise goes away. It won't cost much to check and it is best to start troubleshooting with the cheap and easy stuff. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good idea. I will have my personal check the motor mounts unless there is something I can do to verify it's not them?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
If you have a helper, one of you can engage the tranny, rev the engine, etc. while the other watches to see if there is excessive engine movement. If there is, further inspection is warranted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts