Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my transmission oil changed today (15,000 miles). It takes 3 and about a 1/3 qts instead of 3 quarts of fluid. Be sure and double check your fill up.

Tiger

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 10 or so years ago a Honda tech. suggested that if I would change the oil in my Hondas every 15,000 to 20,000 miles I should never have transmission trouble. Oil is cheap and it's easy to change so I have been doing the change ever since then. It seems to work, no transmission trouble in over 650,000 miles in my Honda's.

Tiger

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Those are a lot of miles! This has nothing to do with transmission fluid but let me ask you a couple questions. First, do you change oil using the OLM or by time/mileage factors? If you use the computer, at what mileage did the service light come on? Also, at what mileage does the message (I should say number) for rotation of tires come on? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shortspark and Vertrkr I'll try and answer your questions;

1st. I still change my oil and filter by the milage. 5000 miles I change oil and Honda filter. At 10000 miles I add oil and change the Honda filter and so on. I rotate the tires on a 10,000 mile milage table. The transmission oil is changes at every 15,000 miles and no later than 20,000 miles.

I'm sure that I could extend my oil changes because at 5,000 miles the computer tells me I have 40% left. Old habits are hard to change when they have worked well.

I use AmsOil 10-30 in this hot climate. I make no clame that this is the best oil in the world. I've used it for over 17 years. I think that orther quality oils would work well and maybe save some money.

2. Vertrkr: In the last 5 years my arthritis has made it very dificult to change the fluids and filter. I have a local service station do it for me. These are folks that I have used for over 25 years. My transmissions in all of my Honds with AT use 3 qts of fluid. Drain out 3 qts and replace 3 qts. I goofed this one. I gave them 3 qts of Honda AT fluid. When they left my truck they left a note saying the I was one qt low. They had checked the amount the drained out and it was 4 qts. I checked the dip stick and it barely showed on the tip. I had them add 1 qt. This over filled by about 1/4 on an inch. I have them taking out the excess as I write this info. The book indicates that it takes 3 and 1/3 qts. I did not do the change as you suggested. They will measure how much they will remove to get it to the full level.

The next time I'll add the 3 and 1/3 qts and double check the dip stick.

Hope this answers your questions.

Tiger

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thanks Tiger for the feedback. So if I understand you correctly, you do no use the OLM at all and changed factory oil at 5,000 miles. Then, at 10,000 you top off oil (but do not change it), however, you do change filter. At 15,000 then, you would change oil and filter. It looks like you change filter every 5,000 miles but you do not change oil every time you do so. Any reason for that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been my experience with a good synthetic oil if you keep it clean you can go the 10,000 miles between changes. I've never had a Honda engine that I needed to add oil between changes no matter how many miles I have on it. The most has been 238,000 miles. After the first change at 5,000 miles my changes are at 10,000 mile intervals and always with a Honda filter change. I always change filters at 5,000 mile intervals and add oil as needed between the 10,000 mile changes.

I'm sure that if I followed the computer I could save money on oil and filters but my system has worked well for me so I think I'll stay with it.

I can see where the computer system can be a great help for many owners.

Tiger

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Tiger said:
I had my transmission oil changed today (15,000 miles). It takes 3 and about a 1/3 qts instead of 3 quarts of fluid. Be sure and double check your fill up.

Tiger
Yo Tiger,

You must have a hell of a commute! I thought I drove a lot! you are the Champ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts