Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those shopping and considering a Ridgline but have read some negative info about windshield wind noise... this message is for you.

A manufacturing change has been made at the assembly plant to eliminate this problem. If the last six numbers of the VIN are above 516000 then you should be safe. If the number is below 516000 then you should test drive the vehicle to make sure it's not got the wind noise problem.

For those vehicles with VIN's below 516000 a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued to the dealers about this problem. I don't have the TSB number yet, but will try and get it ASAP.

NOTE: Edited to change all VIN's from "016000" to the correct "516000" number. Sorry!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Worried about wind noise?-REPLY

This is great. Exactly what we needed. GREAT JOB FOLKS! THANKS!

L

·
0 Posts
csimo said:
For those shopping and considering a Ridgline but have read some negative info about windshield wind noise... this message is for you.

A manufacturing change has been made at the assembly plant to eliminate this problem. If the last six numbers of the VIN are above 016000 then you should be safe. If the number is below 016000 then you should test drive the vehicle to make sure it's not got the wind noise problem.

For those vehicles with VIN's below 016000 a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued to the dealers about this problem. I don't have the TSB number yet, but will try and get it ASAP.
Ditto. Was this a reliable source? Did your dealer tell you it was issued?? :D

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This information did not come from a dealer. This came from a person "high up" at Honda. He personally visited the assembly plant last week to inspect the production changes.

Let's put it this way.... I can't give you his name because that would violate trust, but if you could pick anyone in the world to ask about this issue this is the person I think you would want to ask.

The information is as good as gold in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
OUTSTANDING! THANK YOU CSIMO!! My RTL-Navi was built on 5/2/05 and the VIN is just above the 16000 mark. After reading prevoius posts, I would guess that the change was made approximately 4/28/05 - so it appears that I just made it. ETA is 5/12/05. Is there any word on the water leak problem? Any information that you can pass on will be appreciated. I hope that they corrected both problems. For those that have the wind noise problem, finally there is a real answer on the horizon.

D*#n (Dang?), this ROC site rocks! Thanks, again! You made my day!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When I see that TSB I guarantee I will be doing a HAPPY Dance! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Mine's not as bad as some but the whistle mine has is still not acceptable. Is a TSB something that is a automatic notification/recall?? Or do you have to ask for it? I'm not familiar with this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
OUTSTANDING! THANK YOU CSIMO!! My RTL-Navi was built on 5/2/05 and the VIN is just above the 16000 mark. After reading prevoius posts, I would guess that the change was made approximately 4/28/05 - so it appears that I just made it. ETA is 5/12/05. Is there any word on the water leak problem? Any information that you can pass on will be appreciated. I hope that they corrected both problems. For those that have the wind noise problem, finally there is a real answer on the horizon.

:confused: :confused: Wait a minute, I have owned my truck for 6 weeks now, and my VIN ends in 504269, how could yours just be over the 016000 mark ? I do not know the build date, but it had to be at least 2 months ago.....and by the way, I have ZERO wind noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does this affect the Canadian model? I do have the windnoise when driving over 60 mph. But not "whisle" noise. Mostly cross wind(even on a calm day). I have the roof rack installed too.

Thanks for the reply!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I read it to imply the last 5 digits since 016000 would be way out of range. In my case the last six are 516833. Just a guess. I could be wrong, but I am excited that there is at least a TSB pending for those that have suffered with wind noise. I am actually far more concerned about the water leak issue. Like I said in a previous post, when mine comes in, I will test it and if it leaks, NO SALE! After reading what so many owners have gone through and for so long, water leaks at this point in time are the only deal killer for me. I am growing more optimistic and really do expect not to have either problem when the truck comes in next week.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thank you csimo for posting this information. As soon as you are aware of an official TSB, please let us know.

If this information is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it is not) then it proves that Honda does indeed listen and care what its customers are saying.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, RTPJunior, you're right! :eek:

Mine is in the same number series as yours. Didn't realize that when I looked before, since I was overcome with relief, but you're right. I'm sure there is an explaination on how these numbers are assigned. Anyone have an answer about this, so in the future, we are more informed on this process?

·
Registered
265 Posts
pbear said:
Hey, RTPJunior, you're right! :eek:

Mine is in the same number series as yours. Didn't realize that when I looked before, since I was overcome with relief, but you're right. I'm sure there is an explaination on how these numbers are assigned. Anyone have an answer about this, so in the future, we are more informed on this process?
What I think csimo was saying is vehicles numbered 516000 and later apply to the revision. We'll have to wait and see when he reads this........

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I heard from a source, maybe same guy as csimo or close to it, the water leak ones were only built in January and very few at that, something like 20 known cases so far. The robot got a little off alignment that applied the sealer.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I should have said 516000. He told me above 16,000 and I made the assumption that they started at 000000 but it appears they started at 500000.

My error. Sorry!

(Original message edited to reflect correct information)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine ends in 8501. Zero wind noise. I guess I just got lucky

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does a VIN of 516000 indicate that this is the 16,000 RL built?

Does anyone know the build date(s) of the various VIN numbers?

For instance, when the first 1,000 were built, second 1,000, etc.

This would really help those of us trying to make a deal - it might get us in the ball park as to how long the dealer had various RLs or am I all wet as usual?

Thanks - this IS really a great site.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry group. I was reading some of the other threads and by the time I posted the question about the various VIN numbers and dates, some of my questions I guess were answered.

Boy you guys are fast (-:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts