Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Does anyone know how to turn off the alarm noise when you don't put on your seat belt. I know this souldn't be a concern, but I can't stand it when it goes off.

2) Also the winter is coming up here in New York and I was wondering how do you turn on the defroster for the back window. I only see a button for the front. Is there a button for the back, or does it go on when you put the front on? Is this common in most trucks?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Rocky512 said:
1) Does anyone know how to turn off the alarm noise when you don't put on your seat belt. I know this souldn't be a concern, but I can't stand it when it goes off.

2) Also the winter is coming up here in New York and I was wondering how do you turn on the defroster for the back window. I only see a button for the front. Is there a button for the back, or does it go on when you put the front on? Is this common in most trucks?
1. I don't think you can, I read a thread on this, we are stuck

2. I didn't know the rear window has a defrost? new to me!

·
Registered
529 Posts
We were told by our salesman that there is NOT a rear window defroster. We bought it anyway since we have a garage and this wasn't a big deal to us. However, this IS something that they need to address in future model years, in our humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
EXACTLT what Swampler said. In the past week in our small community, 2 people have died in vehicle rollover accidents nearby with drivers being partially ejected. Both deaths were preventable. In another fatal accident that is in the news today, a 14 year old died in a car wreck where 4 others were injured - none were wearing seat belts. The irony of the timing of your question is something to be considered. Maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't mean to preach. As to question #2, Swampler is correct. Time and this winter will tell just how well it works.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You know, I hate to point this out, but sometimes people want to make that alarm not work and yet they *always* wear their seat belt. I fall into that category. I loved the fact that the alarm broke in my '93 wagon -- didn't want to get it fixed, not even for free! I never need a reminder to put on my seat belt -- I feel naked without it!! -- but sometimes I like to start my car and hop back out with trash, etc. and I don't want to listen to the beeping when I'm tired and cranky in the morning (or at night) :D .

One does not necessarily imply the other. I'm just sayin', is all.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I am not going to preach about wearing or not wearing the seatbelt. I already said my piece in another thread.

However, disabling the seat belt chime will disable a very important safety feature of this truck. Anyone who figures this out, PLEASE do not post the info on this site. We don't want the ROC involved in any way should someone disable the alarm and suffer dire consequences from not wearing the seatbelt. The fact that such info was made available on this site could expose the site to potential liability.

If someone does figure this out, please discuss it with others (if you must) completely 'offline' from this site (this includes PM).

Okay, I am done. Discuss on . . .

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I guess you have to take it all in stride, I talk to my car when it tells me to do things. Usually it is talking back to the navi chick but once in a while I talk back to the seat belt chime telling it that I am working on it. Every once in a while I start the car before I get the seatbelt fully clicked in. My wife thinks I am a little goofy gabbing at our cars but then she thinks I am goofy talking to stuffed animals too, maybe she is right ;).

My driver's ed teacher back in 1985 told made us do this thing where we put our thumb under our seatbelt and pulled it out whenever we passed him on the road (in a town with only 2000 people you it happened more than you would think) to show we were buckled up. Not a day since then have I been without my seatbelt, I generally wore it before that also but every time since then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help in answering the questions. I am one of those people who wear my seat belt every time I get into the car. Just thought maybe there was some way to turn it off and on. Has for the defroster, this is going to be an issue that honda is going to have to deal with. I guess it's going to be a long winter then and I will just have to start my truck up early.

·
Registered
964 Posts
captmiddy said:
I guess you have to take it all in stride, I talk to my car when it tells me to do things. Usually it is talking back to the navi chick but once in a while I talk back to the seat belt chime telling it that I am working on it. Every once in a while I start the car before I get the seatbelt fully clicked in. My wife thinks I am a little goofy gabbing at our cars but then she thinks I am goofy talking to stuffed animals too, maybe she is right ;). /QUOTE]

I often talk to the navi DUDE. there are a couple of occasions when it drives me crazy, but I still love the navi :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A note on rear window defogger or defroster on trucks...(from a guy who has had a lot of trucks) It's not needed. Yep, that's right, not needed. During frost season, only surfaces that are flat or at an angle will frost. Our back glass is vertical! Freezing rain is the same way. Snow? Won't stick to a vertical surface. There are a very few conditions where a vertical rear window defrost would be nice, but in all the years of driving a truck I've only wished for one when:

We had a powdery, deep snow and the wind flowing over the cab creates a vortex, sucking the snow off the top and up against the back glass. Usually this only happens at high speed and the windows are heated up by then anyway and;

During a freezing rain when the wind is blowing hard and you somehow managed to park your truck where the wind is blowing directly against the back glass.

Usually you just don't need one on a truck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you hiPSI that's exactly the answer I wanted to here. This is my first truck purchase, so that's why I asked to find out if it was common.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just to clarify, if the window is covered with frost or ice, the R-L actually will defrost the rear window as fast than a vehicle with a conventional grid. There is no grid on the rear window due to the horizontal sliding window (no place to hide the connection).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Another rollover wreck nearby recently. This time the driver walked away due to the air bags being able to do their job because she was wearing her seat belt. The SUV (a Blazer, I think) was totaled. Seat belts save lives - when they are used.

My wife and I were out shopping yesterday. It was raining heavily all day. When we got into the truck to head home the back windows were heavily fogged up, probably due to the fact that our clothes were very wet. I hit the defrost button and within a minute or two the windows were completely clear. I would not have expected it to clear any faster if it was heated. No experience with frost yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts