Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
Unfortunately, all that thread has proven to be good for is to promote fear mongering about the 6-speed! :confused:
Bill
What do you believe that 55 6-speed failures (and that doesn't include torque converter failures) compared to 2 9-speed failures reported on this forum so far tells us? Surely, you don't believe that 9-speed owners keep their failures a secret, do you? ;)

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
There are several variables not being taken into account. Like, what is the ratio of nine speed owners to six speed owners currently on this forum?
Why would it be different? Do you believe there is relationship between the number of speeds a transmission has and an owner's propensity to join a forum?

How many of those six speed failures were 2017's [...]?
29 as of October 26, 2022 according to @gti16vman.

How many of those six speed failures [...] occurred before the nine speed had been introduced?
The 9-speed Ridgeline went on sale on December 16, 2019. Five 6-speed failures had been reported at that point (again - that's just transmission replacements - not torque converter replacement which requires the same amount of labor or other issues such as judder, overheating, and pressure switch failure).

I do not believe that the nine speed is exclusive to the the Ridgeline, is it?
No. The 9-speed was also used in the Pilot (2016-2020 Touring and above, 2021-2022 all trims), 2018-2019 Odyssey (except Touring and above), 2019-2023 Passport, 2015-2020 TLX V6, and 2016-2020 MDX (non-hybrid models) in addition to the 2020-2023 Ridgeline.

All that can be said at this point is that there has been more six speed failures than nine speed failures reported on this forum, which really is not very meaningful.
If that's not meaningful, what is?

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
Does anybody have an idea of actual failure rate ? Out of the many thousands of 6 sp tranny, what % have failed ?
Possibly 1 out of a 100 and counting based on the best-available information. And, that's based only on the number of transmission failures. When you add in the number of torque converter failures which requires the same amount of labor to replace, that could be closer to 1 out of 50. Many years ago, Honda extended the warranty to 7/100 on some automatic transmissions when 2% of them failed.

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
I've spent several hours per day every day on this forum for over 15 years. Six of the 12 Honda automobiles I've owned have been Ridgelines. I know what breaks and what doesn't break on Ridgelines and I know what people talk about on here. To me or anyone else who has been a regular reader of this forum for most or all of the Ridgeline's existence and has a good pulse on the model, 56 reported transmission failures is most certainly concerning.

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
That setting is actually "Forward Collision Warning Distance". You can't change the Collision Mitigation Braking System distance - that feature is either on or off and if you turn it off it will turn back on the next time the vehicle is restarted.

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
To put this into perspective:

The latest statistics show that vehicles are driven an average of about 14,000 miles per year and owned an average of about 7 years.

At once every 60,000 miles, the average 9-speed Honda will need one ATF change during an ownership period.

Assuming a cost of $500, that's 0.8 cents per mile - about half as much as a timing belt every 105,000 miles and 1/10th the cost of gasoline per mile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts