Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some purchase advice. I've nailed my search to 2 Ridgelines, a 2020 RTL with 24000 miles, and a 2019 RTL-E with 17500 miles. The asking price for each vehicle is very close, about $34,500. I'm leaning toward the 2019 due to it having blindside monitoring and NAV. Are there any other pro's and con's to each??? Thanks in advance for any input received.
I always but the most equipped model if comparable in mechanical ways. I have a 2019 RTL-E and I am very satisfied. I left a CTS-V Coupe Hennessey to get it to fill out the fleet a litle more practical. We could not be more satisfied. No issues, no leaks, no anything... It rides better than my wifes 2020d Acura MDX max option model... SHe traded it after riding in the Ridgeline. Went to a Cayman GTS

· Registered
2 Posts
Nothing wrong with RTL headlights when you change bulbs for aftermarket.
l just changed all all 4 headlight bulbs on my 2017 RTL. It was almost impossible to see on rainy nights. Much I improved, $347 . Damn high but worth it. My mechanic tells me that there are 3 classes of bulbs, each with increasing brightness. I chose the one in the middle.

· Registered
16 Posts
I would gladly take the front sensors off my 2022, they are horrible. I never go a whole day without an oncoming car on a two lane road sending my brake warning on and shaking the wheel.

The Honda navigation system is so bad can’t imagine wanting it. Car play freezes, or doesn’t start to begin with. It’s slow and touch input is poor. One knob for volume and no knob for tuning, really don’t like that either.

The 9 speed is smooth but very unresponsive. The time to go into reverse on initial start up is twice as long as my other vehicles. Floor the gas and experience eventual acceleration. The 9 speed maybe get you some extra gas mileage. Which is a constant 20.75 hand calculated or 22.5 on the dash lie-o-meter. In comparison my 4Runner gets 19.6 and my f150 2.7 got 19.9 so I am not a heavy footed driver.

I would go for newer vs extras especially when the extras are so bad. I think the 2021 up looks better but neither of them are great looking in my opinion. Now really is not the time to buy. The resale is falling, new car inventory is picking up, finance rates to high. They will be discounting soon.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some purchase advice. I've nailed my search to 2 Ridgelines, a 2020 RTL with 24000 miles, and a 2019 RTL-E with 17500 miles. The asking price for each vehicle is very close, about $34,500. I'm leaning toward the 2019 due to it having blindside monitoring and NAV. Are there any other pro's and con's to each??? Thanks in advance for any input received.
NO question go for the 2019---everything points to that decision, EQUIPMENT, Milage & NAV

· Registered
34 Posts
Hello,
In my opinion the 9 speed in the 2020 overrides the nav option if you plan to tow. Otherwise the 6 speed is adequate if you don’t. I do like blind spot monitoring. I went from a 2013 5 speed to a 2020 because of the transmission.

· Registered
2021 RTL lifted Tonneau cover wheels etc
1 Posts
I just bought a 2021 RTL with 2300 miles on it. The price was a little higher than your 34k but not much. My advice would be to purchase an RTL-E but hold out for a 2020 or newer so you get the newer transmission and upgraded safety features . I am one to tell myself I don't need all the bells and whistles of the RTL-E but the features such as a 110v outlet in the bed, etc would have been nice. , so I almost wish I had bought an RTL-E. But my wife is more pragmatic and we saved the thousands of bucks! Get what you want and can afford - we only go around once! Lately the dealers are selling new Ridgelines under MSRP so don't rule out new!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
One of the reasons I bought my 2020 RTL was because of the 2016 MDX we already owned. 2016 was the year Honda introduced the new 3.5 V6 and the 9 speed transmission which is the same drivetrain in the 2020 RTL. Even now with 108,000 miles on the MDX we've had zero mechanical issues. Same with the RTL, which now has 32,000 miles. I've toyed with replacing the RTL headlamps, which are inferior to the MDX, but the RTL is not that bad. No moisture issues in my RTL, though I monitor that knowing the posts addressing leaks. Both cars make frequent trips from TX to Colorado and Iowa, often in winter conditions. Gas mileage on both averages 25 mpg on trips, which I attribute to the drivetrain. I was fortunate to get a new leftover 2020 right after the 2021s arrived, for $34,700. I know those dealing days are history, now, but the Ridgeline is likely still the best truck for the money, used. Personally, I couldn't be happier.

· Registered
9 Posts
All I can say is I purchased a 2022 RTL-E and I really like the 9 Speed transmission. I never feel it hunting for gears and if you put it in the S mode the gearing is lower. I would keep shopping for an RTL-E with the 9 Speed.

· Registered
27 Posts
Hello, This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some purchase advice. I've nailed my search to 2 Ridgelines, a 2020 RTL with 24000 miles, and a 2019 RTL-E with 17500 miles. The asking price for each vehicle is very close, about $34,500. I'm leaning toward the 2019 due to it having blindside monitoring and NAV. Are there any other pro's and con's to each??? Thanks in advance for any input received.
I love our Ridgeline. However, pray you don't need a part replaced. We bought ours new in 2021 and within the first weeks of ownership had the catalytic converter stolen. It took over 8 months for them to get the part and from what I hear this hasn't improved much for other owners, depending on the part they need.

· Registered
18 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2019 RTL. Wish it had blind side and Nav. Extremely pleased with it. Pulled a trailer from NY to California and back without a hitch. No pun intended. Very smooth and enjoyable to drive. The mileage you state is really low. I've got over 60K now. good luck

· Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport 4x4
10 Posts
Hello,

· Registered
98 Posts
Hello,
IF one of them has the "Car Play" feature to connect your cell phone it, you have no need for a navigation system. Google Maps is much better than the navigation.

· Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL
8 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2020 RTL AWD. I would go for the 20 or higher due to the transmission. I changed out all of the crap halogens with LED’s. Pretty easy to do on your own

· Registered
2018 RTL-E,
2 Posts
Mopar had ŹF9 speeds in the cherokee and pacifica....it was HORRIBLE. I read here that mopar put theirs together and honda gets it right from ZF but having owned a Jeep Cherokee with the zf 9 speed I personally will NEVER own another vehicle with that transmission. I bought an 17 rl with the 6sp primarily because I can drian and fill by myself...in fact, every oil change I drop the tran s fluid and refill with 3.5 qts, appx, of new fluid. And, it has a dipstick! Hard to find now awadays.
Just my 2 cents....but i'll take the 6 speed absolutely.

· Registered
1 Posts
And, there have been far more than 55 6-speed failures. :)
Does anybody have an idea of actual failure rate ? Out of the many thousands of 6 sp tranny, what % have failed ? I ask because I own a 19 RTL E which has been flawless so far. have less than 30k on it and do have extended Honda Care for 3 more years. Love my truck and you all have got me wondering if I should trade at end of extended warranty. I will probably have less than 60k on it then.

· Registered
645 Posts
One difference not mentioned above which is important to some--if the battery dies on the 2019 you can simply insert the key near the transmission shifter to release it and move it into park, similar to what we've always been able to do on most vehicles. On the 2020 and later model Ridgelines that isn't possible. I think it requires a special tool and access to the engine compartment. For many of us who park in a garage we would have to get a tow truck to come and drag the vehicle out in park. Seems like a major problem to me.

And I prefer the RTL-E package, but the 9-speed on the 2020 might be significant--maybe you could use that to negotiate for a better price on the 2019.

· Registered
102 Posts
Does anybody have an idea of actual failure rate ? Out of the many thousands of 6 sp tranny, what % have failed ? I ask because I own a 19 RTL E which has been flawless so far. have less than 30k on it and do have extended Honda Care for 3 more years. Love my truck and you all have got me wondering if I should trade at end of extended warranty. I will probably have less than 60k on it then.
In my short time on this thread and as a recent buyer of a 17 BE I think the judder issue has severely harmed the 6 sp reputation as much or more so than actual the failures themselves. I have the feeling there are many RLs out there still who have owners oblivious to the tach jumping around when they drive and when they do catch on sometimes its too late. Mine had 55K on it and apparently the previous owner did not notice or just didnt care because I picked up on it with-in 2 weeks of ownership. I would imagine if I had just ignored it the transmission issue it would certainly have been shot at 75K miles or earlier. Now hoping that will not be the case. So having said that...How many expensive repairs on the 6 sp could have been avoided with a more attentive owner? I do like the ease of changing the fluid and like you will do it myself from here on but probably at 25 - 30K mile intervals.

I came from a 2014 Toyota Rav 4 that was bullet proof, I drove it like I stole it and it responded as if to say "is that all you got"

Although I do love the Truck itself Im really shocked Honda has so many issues with them in this day of tight specs and knowledge.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
Does anybody have an idea of actual failure rate ? Out of the many thousands of 6 sp tranny, what % have failed ?
Possibly 1 out of a 100 and counting based on the best-available information. And, that's based only on the number of transmission failures. When you add in the number of torque converter failures which requires the same amount of labor to replace, that could be closer to 1 out of 50. Many years ago, Honda extended the warranty to 7/100 on some automatic transmissions when 2% of them failed.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
In my short time on this thread and as a recent buyer of a 17 BE I think the judder issue has severely harmed the 6 sp reputation as much or more so than actual the failures themselves. I have the feeling there are many RLs out there still who have owners obvious to the tach jumping around when they drive and when they do catch on sometimes its too late. Mine had 55K on it and apparently the previous owner did not notice or just didnt care because I picked up on it with-in 2 weeks of ownership. I would imagine if I had just ignored it the transmission issue it would certainly have been shot at 75K miles or earlier. Now hoping that will not be the case. So having said that...How many expensive repairs on the 6 sp could have been avoided with a more attentive owner? I do like the ease of changing the fluid and like you will do it myself from here on but probably at 25 - 30K mile intervals.

I
Honda stated in their 2017 transmission SB 17-026 that the judder will not damage the transmission.
Bill

61 - 80 of 138 Posts