Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Operationally, no the 9 speed is not hugely better. For just regular driving I actually think the 6 spd is better. But the 9 speed does have the deeper 1st gear, a s-mode and manual paddle controls. So reliability aside, I would still say the zf9 does have an advantage.
What if the additional costs for servicing the 9-speed were also considered, would this make any difference?
Bill

·
Administrator
24,264 Posts
To put this into perspective:

The latest statistics show that vehicles are driven an average of about 14,000 miles per year and owned an average of about 7 years.

At once every 60,000 miles, the average 9-speed Honda will need one ATF change during an ownership period.

Assuming a cost of $500, that's 0.8 cents per mile - about half as much as a timing belt every 105,000 miles and 1/10th the cost of gasoline per mile.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To put this into perspective:

The latest statistics show that vehicles are driven an average of about 14,000 miles per year and owned an average of about 7 years.

At once every 60,000 miles, the average 9-speed Honda will need one ATF change during an ownership period.

Assuming a cost of $500, that's 0.8 cents per mile - about half as much as a timing belt every 105,000 miles and 1/10th the cost of gasoline per mile.
But if the 6 sp was a pain to change and had to be performed at dealership or paid mechanic then imagine the cost of doing it every 30K as some suggest. I guess Im saying its a positive you can DIY on a transmission that needs all the positives it can get apparently.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Operationally, no the 9 speed is not hugely better. For just regular driving I actually think the 6 spd is better. But the 9 speed does have the deeper 1st gear, a s-mode and manual paddle controls. So reliability aside, I would still say the zf9 does have an advantage.
I would like the paddle shifter for the control in certain situations, like when it climbs the steep hills of the lake road we're on a lot - tends to hang onto the lower gear awhile after we've passed the crest of the hill. Probably helpful on the rare occasion that I tow also.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Operationally, no the 9 speed is not hugely better. For just regular driving I actually think the 6 spd is better.
It looks like you previously drove a Tacoma before purchasing the '22 Ridgeline.
How much experience do you have with the 6-speed in the Ridgeline? How many miles have you driven in one?

I spent 1.5 yrs and 11K miles in my 6-speed Ridgeline. It was an adequate transmission and an OK overall experience.
After spending the last 18K miles with a 9-speed Ridgeline, I can say it is a far better transmission in virtually every aspect.

·
Registered
944 Posts
What if the additional costs for servicing the 9-speed were also considered, would this make any difference?
Bill
Exactly how much are these supposed additional costs for the 9-speed?
Depending on how long the truck is kept, you'll end up performing 1 to 3 additional ATF services with the 6-speed, or more if you're concerned about the 6-speed reliability.

It appears you have serviced your transmission 4 or more times in the first 52K miles, with 3 single dump-n-files and the last service being a triple dump-n-fill.
Please share how much all of these services have cost you so far.

Based on your past posts, I don't think you have any clue what "additional costs for servicing the 9-speed" are, if any.
Seems like you are guilty of "anecdotal fear mongering".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some purchase advice. I've nailed my search to 2 Ridgelines, a 2020 RTL with 24000 miles, and a 2019 RTL-E with 17500 miles. The asking price for each vehicle is very close, about $34,500. I'm leaning toward the 2019 due to it having blindside monitoring and NAV. Are there any other pro's and con's to each??? Thanks in advance for any input received.
Either is a good choice and you're lucky to have found them. I recently bought a 2022 RTL and it has the blindspot monitoring,so I would first verify if the 2020 really has it or not. I steered away from the RTL-E simply because I don't need a super premium sound OR navigation system (Old-school). The blind-spot monitoring wouldn't have been a deal maker 0r deal breaker, but since using it for 6 months I think it's a great feature! gives a visual warning of nearby objects while and adds audible warnings when either in motion or when signaling to change lanes or turn, this is very helpful as You don't want to always be glancing at the warning lights. sometimes lighting conditions make them hard to see anyway. I would not put too much weight on those additional safety features but rather on the overall condition of the vehicle. I tend to keep and drive my vehicles for multiple decades therefore I want to start as fresh as possible. Best of luck!

·
Registered
648 Posts
It looks like you previously drove a Tacoma before purchasing the '22 Ridgeline.
How much experience do you have with the 6-speed in the Ridgeline? How many miles have you driven in one?

I spent 1.5 yrs and 11K miles in my 6-speed Ridgeline. It was an adequate transmission and an OK overall experience.
After spending the last 18K miles with a 9-speed Ridgeline, I can say it is a far better transmission in virtually every aspect.
6spd RL, never owned one. But I back to back test drove several with 9-speeds. Every time, I thought the same thing. For regular driving I preferred 6-speed. However the difference is small and the other tangibles of the ZF9 make it preferred overall.

If it helps I owned an MDX with a 6AT for years. Although I did not like the way that shifted. It came out of 1st into second way too fast unless you went WOT. It did have paddles and I towed a 4k car trailer with it many times though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Bill
Not to me no. If I owned a 6spd I would probably half the maintenance schedule just to be safe. More changes, less fluid per change. With the ZF9, less changes, more fluid per change. To me it comes out in the wash.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Exactly how much are these supposed additional costs for the 9-speed?

Based on your past posts, I don't think you have any clue what "additional costs for servicing the 9-speed" are, if any.
Seems like you are guilty of "anecdotal fear mongering".
Bluegrass, as copied from a local dealer's service brochure, is this data not relatively representative, or is it otherwise inaccurate??

Font Number Document Circle Symmetry

Bill

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bluegrass, is this data not relatively representative, or is otherwise inaccurate, as taken from a local dealer's service brochure??
Let's assume the data you provided is accurate.
As zroger stated, the 6-speed service is roughly @ 45K miles, then every 30K miles thereafter. The 9-speed is every ~60K miles.

Based on my driving history, I will keep my Ridgeline for 170K-175K miles.
- The 9-speed would require 2 ATF changes @ $360 = $720
- The 6-speed would require 5 ATF changes @ $150 = $750

And many 6-speed owners, including yourself, change the ATF much more frequently.
You've changed yours at least 4 times before reaching even 60K miles, so $600 in dealership costs.

·
Registered
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
4 Posts
Let's assume the data you provided is accurate.
As zroger stated, the 6-speed service is roughly @ 45K miles, then every 30K miles thereafter. The 9-speed is every ~60K miles.

Based on my driving history, I will keep my Ridgeline for 170K-175K miles.
  • The 9-speed would require 2 ATF changes @ $360 = $720
  • The 6-speed would require 5 ATF changes @ $150 = $750

And many 6-speed owners, including yourself, change the ATF much more frequently.
You've changed yours at least 4 times before reaching even 60K miles, so $600 in dealership costs.
With the 6-speed, you can easily DIY a ATF change. With the 9-speed you can't (easily). So cost for 6-speed change is less than $40.

·
Registered
944 Posts
With the 6-speed, you can easily DIY a ATF change. With the 9-speed you can't (easily). So cost for 6-speed change is less than $40.
wjfyfe specifically provided dealership service costs, which I used to illustrate his claims were simply (to use his phrase) "anecdotal fear mongering".

Regarding DIY, why do you say the 9-speed can't be easily serviced? I have the Honda service instructions saved on my computer and they are very straightforward.
Anyone comfortable DIYing a 6-speed should be able to DIY the 9-speed.

I don't know what the parts cost is for the 9-speed, but let's say it is double your figure, so $80.
That make the lifetime costs of the 9-speed service either the same or less than the 6-speed, given the longer service intervals.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why would it be different? Do you believe there is relationship between the number of speeds a transmission has and an owner's propensity to join a forum?

29 as of October 26, 2022 according to @gti16vman.

The 9-speed Ridgeline went on sale on December 16, 2019. Five 6-speed failures had been reported at that point (again - that's just transmission replacements - not torque converter replacement which requires the same amount of labor or other issues such as judder, overheating, and pressure switch failure).

No. The 9-speed was also used in the Pilot (2016-2020 Touring and above, 2021-2022 all trims), 2018-2019 Odyssey (except Touring and above), 2019-2023 Passport, 2015-2020 TLX V6, and 2016-2020 MDX (non-hybrid models) in addition to the 2020-2023 Ridgeline.

If that's not meaningful, what is?
Note there would probably be more 6-spds (have to compare sales by year data) and most with higher mileages. So that skews the numbers. If 1 out of 1000 fail at (say) 50K miles, fewer 9-spds may have been sold and fewer of them may have reached that mileage. Maybe - just saying that there are 100K RL owners not posting on forums because their truck is just fine. People only post about problems

121 - 137 of 137 Posts