Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in a RAM 1500 and taking a serious look at the 3rd Gen Ridgeline that will be coming out early next year. I have had many Honda's over my 40+ years of driving...like 8 to be exact...and they have proven to be good, reliable vehicles. The RAM is really way overkill for my needs and I don't want to go with a Ford Ranger, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma or a Nissan Frontier.

For those with the 2nd gen Ridgeline, would you buy it again and are there any trouble areas that I should be aware of without reading this entire forum?

Thanks to all that can help educate me on this vehicle:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 RL E. Have owned since Feb, 2020. Never have had to return to dealer for anything. Has approximately 7500 miles and I love the truck. Would appreciate the upgrades for the 21model year, but wouldn't trade mine for them. I have a long history of Honda/Acura products and probably wouldn't buy anything else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did buy it again. Bought a 2017 RTL on July 4, 2016. Had a few recalls to take care of under warranty considering it was the first model year. 160,000 trouble-free miles with just scheduled maintenance. Selling it tomorrow to Carvana since I already bought a 2019 RTL-E CPO with 22K miles. So yes, I did it again. 😉

·
Registered
574 Posts
I bought it again too.
2017 bought in July of 2016 - over 96,000 miles , mostly highway overall it was great
2020 bought in Feb of 2020 - less than 5000 due to covid. I haven't been driving it much but so far it's been great.

I love the Ridgeline for so many reasons.
Best advice, test drive it and see if it puts a smile on your face.

·
Registered
73 Posts
YES! This thing suits my needs very well. Had an F150 before this as a "project - yard work - hauling on rare occasion" truck along with a sports car. Sold them both and this thing is just very functional for me. I've really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes. I'd buy it again.
It's a 2017 RTL and nothing has needed repair. It has almost 35K miles on it now and it's done everything it's supposed to and very well.
I've done some upgrades but they were strictly elective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had several Tacoma's over the years (not one problem). I bought a 2020 RTL-E in April. Have 8k on it now with zero issues. Really enjoy the ride and the MPG's. Does everything I need it to do as well as it's not so big that the wife doesn't mind driving it. Great on trips! I would pull the trigger again tomorrow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@securityguy definitely take a test drive, as long as you stay within the means for what the RL was built for IE tow rating and ground clearance. It should treat you well. Outside from the earlier G2 6-speed tranny issue most people I see leaving is because the needed extra towing or GC. The 9-speed so far seems to be doing better with issues and does help with controlling speed while towing. That being said, I would buy one again with the current market place. The RL has worked for all my needs, 2019 15K miles trouble free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Ho; To your question; I just traded a 2012 GMC Canyon for a 2018 Ridgeline. In just three days of owning it, the GMC is a 'Russian horse cart' by comparison. Would I buy it again-YES- and will when this one passes 300K!
Now go for a test drive, and be sure to bring everything you need to buy it just after you finish the test drive. For me, just a 15 minute test drive was MORE than enough{along with all my research}to convince me to buy this NOW!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I'm on my second Gen2 so, yes, I would buy one again. The 2018 RTL-E was the first Honda in my family since my wife's 91 Accord got hit and totaled in early 2003, it got replaced with a Camry and we've been a Toyota household since then. I picked up the used 2018 RTL-E last December, traded the hated 2018 Tacoma Limited for it and haven't looked back. I put 33,000 miles on the Ridgeline since then(53,000 total) and I was approaching the point that I had to either trade it or drive it until the wheels fell off. I wanted the 9-speed tranny in the 2020 and Honda had .9 financing so I traded.

As far as problem areas go, I haven't read too much here about the 2020 but the Gen2 has definitely had its' growing pains. Personally, I had the injectors replaced on my 2018 not long after I got it(29,000 miles, under HondaCare warranty) and the backup camera wiring in the tailgate broke not long ago, which I fixed myself. From what I read here, most of the problems with the Gen 2 trucks seem to fall under the area of general QC , which seems to be decreasing with Honda in recent years.

But the same thing is pretty much the trend across all car manufacturers, the bean counters are always weighing cost/benefit ratios in their attempt to save a penny and maximize stock prices, the customer be damned. My Tacoma had to have the master cylinder replaced under recall for a bad seal, and there were plenty of little annoying things that I had to live with or leave the truck at the dealer for them to tell me they couldn't duplicate the problem. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! The administrator of this forum, @zroger73, had so many problems with his Ridgeline he no longer owns one. There are lemons out there but the only way you know you have one is to buy it and drive it. And you're more or less as likely to get one from Honda as you would be from any other car manufacturer nowadays.

All this doomsaying aside, the Ridgeline is the most comfortable and best handling SUV or truck I've ever driven, including the three 4Runner Limiteds I spent 14 years and 700,000 miles in. I'm in residential construction and I drove the 2018 RTL-E through the wettest winter last year that I can remember here in north Georgia, up and down some of the worst muddy roads and driveways you'll ever run across and it never failed to get me to the job and home afterwards. It went everywhere the Taco and the 4Runners went with a lot more comfort thrown in. So much for the NART thing....

HTH, welcome to the forum!

Best and stay safe,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
766 Posts
Let me tell you something. I was an early adopter. I bought mine simply because I needed a vehicle to be my utility while remodeling a house. I wasn't in a position to own two vehicles, so I sold my Audi Q5 and bought the 2017 Ridgeline in 2016. I am a big Audi fan and it nearly crushed my soul. THEN, I had little quirks with my Ridgeline; Honda had some quality issues with the first few, which I knew I was getting into a 1st run edition and expected -some- quirks. Some of the issues were just stupid (parking sensors, windshield rollup speed, walkway locking fail, engine mount knock). I was ready to ditch the thing after a year. I sat down and looked at my next vehicle option... what do I want? Well, I still needed the utility of a pickup. Oooh, a HEMI RAM would be fun, but the ride and mpg would frustrate me. The F-150 is the rave, but in the end, I really didn't want a full size and I hate Ford's Sync system, plus I don't like the way they look and for the cost I would just buy an Audi again. GM blows. Every GM owner I know that had the truck was incredibly unhappy with box buffeting, build quality, etc. I test drove the Colorado anyway and liked the size, but didn't care for the handling personality. The Colorado just didn't feel "grown up" enough for me (I can't explain). I had to wait too long to try the Jeep pickup, which is god awful (I rented one) and... the story goes on. There wasn't a single thing that seemed better suited for my situation. Like you, I didn't need large towing or load capacity. In fact, I found in every situation that I had, the rating and capability of the truck fit exactly what I needed (I won't get into the shallow box syndrome). But I've hauled an incredible amount of plywood, drywall, stone, dirt... and I've pulled a couple of borderline limit trailers and the ride and handling has always been fantastic and you can't beat the comfort for a daily driver unless you went with an expensive full size.

So, I sort of just lived with it for my second year, all things seemed to be getting resolved and I just drove it with that "I want something different" thought in the back of my head. I think I was just waiting for the refresh of the Grand Cherokee. My third year, I got cut from my work and moved away from Virginia to Boston. I was in no position to seek anything else, but I actually started enjoying the vehicle anyway (or maybe my soul died and I've given up). I made so many long trips to Michigan, also back and forth from Boston to DC/VA. It just drove nice and was well equipped. The anti-collision saved my life once, I'm pretty sure of it. And it just looks good. I still get people always saying, "cool truck". I don't care what anyone says about the looks not being trucky, I wasn't sold in the beginning but it grew on me after time... and a lot of people like it. And it seems to fit today's "image" pretty well.

Now after 4 years-2 months, I was actually entertaining the idea, Hmmm... should I buy the Ridgeline update? I am a TOUGH SELL. I'm an a**hole, and I'm actually thinking of rebuying after all the grief I've given this forum and Honda in the past. Just so long as Honda continues to address the issues, I might. Maybe my next choice will be a Grand Cherokee refresh if I leave the pickup market. But maybe the updated Ridgeline if I stay with the pickup choice and I won't feel I would be questioning the value. Also, as long as Honda makes it feel like a quality interior, which they did on the G2 (with some pretty minor exceptions) I won't even think about Audi again, not really worth it and I'm done with exoroborant maintenance fees. The Ridgeline fits well with my lifestyle when I factor, ride, MPG, interior look, all season capability, safety features and what you get as the overall package for the cost and utility.

There ya go. Maybe. I mean I need something new to bitch about, after all :).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Coming from a Tacoma....there are only two gripes I have with the RL

#1. CMBS is faulty
#2. The floor heat vents are not powerful enough

That's it. Outside of these two things, I would definitely purchase again.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
@hondopark , couldn't agree more! The Toyota advanced safety systems beat the Honda hands down, even without the steering wheel shaker. I'd have more false collision alerts on my 2018 RL in a week than I had with the Taco in the 15 months I drove it. The 2020 is doing better but it still alerts on curves on 2-lane roads. At least the wheel shaker is a little less obnoxious and the LKAS doesn't seem quite so much like a drunk driver,although it still wanders and stays far too left in the lane for my taste.

And WTF is up with the floor heater? It's supposed to heat your feet, not the underside of the dash!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
39 Posts
My last vehicle was a 2014 Jeep Cherokee and was by far the worst brand new vehicle I have ever owned. Transmission needed replaced after owning it for six months. A few pistons shattered in the engine on the coldest night of the winter last year and left me stranded on the road. The “GPS“ started working intermittently on it two years ago. Pulling out from a recent stop was always a gamble because I never knew if the transmission was going to engage and move the vehicle. On the plus side, none of the major repairs cost anything because of the warranty. And it was amazing in the snow. Needless to say, I was doing vehicle research for years plotting my escape from the Jeep. I checked the NHTSA website often, read reviews incessantly, and drove my wife nuts with all the research I did. Then one day last May, everything clicked, the Ridgeline is my next car. All I had to do was test drive it to be sure. Dealer brought it to my house and I barely made it around the block before I knew it was meant to be. They gave me a good offer for the Jeep and the Ridgeline was in my driveway that evening. It’s the perfect truck for me as I don’t need to tow anything and I’m not trying to crawl up any trail that’s meant for hiking. I’ve hauled new furniture, the tree I cut down during quarantine, and it gets my hunting/camping gear to where it needs to go. One problem a month in was I had to take it back to the dealer to fix the A/C condenser. Not sure why it didn’t work, never tried it during the test drive because it was cooler out. Other than that, would buy it again, but hopefully I never have to and I can run this thing in to the ground.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I purchased a RTS in Sept of 2016. I had no issues other than sloppy assembly, glitchy backup camera, fuel smell and an engine knock. The only truck I had before that was a 93 Ranger which I loved. My goal was to have the RL become a daily driver and ditch my 14 Accord V6 which I love. RL never lived up to my expectations and I never took to it. The ride was a bit too mushy the bed was a bit too small. I never used the trunk but the kicker was that my kids who are now in college resisted sitting in the back for family outings and we used my wife's 2015 CRV which has way more interior room in the rear. Bottom line RL bed a little short, rear room a little short and no midsize pickup will be a daily driver for me, so might as well get a 2WD work truck as a second vehicle with the small cab and a deep 6 foot bed.. Also, the 17-19 have a rash of harness failure for the tailgate and fuel injectors. Honda not uniformly standing behind these defects and hasn't extended warranty. The headlight performance was abysmal and the brakes had too much travel. I knew I was in trouble when my wife asked me to turn on the headlights (and they were on). All these issues should be solved for the 2020's but personally I think buyers should wait for the 2021's that will have better headlights on lower trims and a more masculine appearance. Translation, you don't need the E trim to have a decent Ridgeline in 2021. You could say I was the problem more so than the truck so the plan was to keep the truck until the warranty runs out in 2023.

This summer my dealer contacted me about trading in the Ridgeline as COVID has created crazy demand for trucks.. I ran the numbers and traded it on on a 2020 Passport EX-L. Cost to me $12,370. Couldn't pass that up. So far PP has exceeded my expectations and although I'll miss the Accord, the PP can be a daily driver. Probably won't get a truck as I could rent a storage unit and keep a trailer in it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am currently in a RAM 1500 and taking a serious look at the 3rd Gen Ridgeline that will be coming out early next year. I have had many Honda's over my 40+ years of driving...like 8 to be exact...and they have proven to be good, reliable vehicles. The RAM is really way overkill for my needs and I don't want to go with a Ford Ranger, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma or a Nissan Frontier.

For those with the 2nd gen Ridgeline, would you buy it again and are there any trouble areas that I should be aware of without reading this entire forum?

Thanks to all that can help educate me on this vehicle:)
So just fyi, the 2021 isn't really a 3rd gen so much as it is a second mid-model change for the 2nd gen RL ( I think zroger73 named it a 2.75?) Mostly it is cosmetic upgrades from the a-pillar forward and other than some suspension and exhaust details mechanically it should be identical to the 2020.

You didn't specify which RAM 1500 you have, so I'll assume a crewcab v8 4WD with the ZF8 transmission.

Would I recommend my low VIN 2017 RL? No, as I had a lot of the early teething issues with panel alignment, contaminated brake fluid, recalls for fuel pump & wiring harness, and had the transmission tsbs completed for the torque converter. All were all covered under warranty and other than taking it back again soon to have another transmission flush it hasn't let me down. Most of the fixes above have been baked into production, along with some mods that us early owners did like longer rear door checks and tailgate locks.

So if you aren't using the towing capacity, rear seat room or ground clearance of your RAM I would recommend a 2021 RL with one caveat.

If you have had previous Hondas with automatics, and especially coming from (the assumed) excellent ZF8 automatic, you may want to have some seat time with a Honda with the ZF9 9-speed that is in the newer Hondas. I'm not ragging on the transmission, as many of its pros and cons can be weighted with other Honda ATs, and I see the benefits of the ultra low first gear, but I personally do not like how it shifts in any configuration / car I have driven with one and I see a lot of people on forums with a similar complaint. That said, plenty of people do like it, or don't notice its quirkyness enough to care. So my recommendation is send some seat time in a 2020 or 2021 RL and make your own call.

·
Registered
574 Posts
hondopark & billg71
I rarely think about that when asked, but I agree about the breaking system, although I don't think it's a Honda Specific problem

The worst was in my 2017, I was going around a bend another car was in the other lane and the Ridgeline put on the breaks because of the bend the sensors thought it was in front of me and the breaks were engaged. After that I always have it turned off, which is why I don't think about it much anymore. Kind of like the auto shut off, I just keep it off and so it's not really a concern anymore.

I don't know if Honda's system is better or worse than any other's system. I somehow doubt it, I'm pretty sure every car would behave the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So just fyi, the 2021 isn't really a 3rd gen so much as it is a second mid-model change for the 2nd gen RL ( I think zroger73 named it a 2.75?) Mostly it is cosmetic upgrades from the a-pillar forward and other than some suspension and exhaust details mechanically it should be identical to the 2020.

You didn't specify which RAM 1500 you have, so I'll assume a crewcab v8 4WD with the ZF8 transmission.

Would I recommend my low VIN 2017 RL? No, as I had a lot of the early teething issues with panel alignment, contaminated brake fluid, recalls for fuel pump & wiring harness, and had the transmission tsbs completed for the torque converter. All were all covered under warranty and other than taking it back again soon to have another transmission flush it hasn't let me down. Most of the fixes above have been baked into production, along with some mods that us early owners did like longer rear door checks and tailgate locks.

So if you aren't using the towing capacity, rear seat room or ground clearance of your RAM I would recommend a 2021 RL with one caveat.

If you have had previous Hondas with automatics, and especially coming from (the assumed) excellent ZF8 automatic, you may want to have some seat time with a Honda with the ZF9 9-speed that is in the newer Hondas. I'm not ragging on the transmission, as many of its pros and cons can be weighted with other Honda ATs, and I see the benefits of the ultra low first gear, but I personally do not like how it shifts in any configuration / car I have driven with one and I see a lot of people on forums with a similar complaint. That said, plenty of people do like it, or don't notice its quirkyness enough to care. So my recommendation is send some seat time in a 2020 or 2021 RL and make your own call.
Thanks @fargin! I appreciate the response. Based on the research I have done, I am aware that this is more of an aesthetic refresh than anything and all of the mechanicals are the same. I have a 2019 LOADED RAM Crew Cab Limited 4X4 with the 5.7L HEMI and the awesome 8-speed tranny. It had a sticker just shy of $70K. Great truck and I have had no issues in almost 2-years of ownership. I am just thinking it's overkill for me and the cost of fuel was never a concern so the 15 mpg is not an issue. I have always like the idea of the Ridgeline but the looks kept me away. With the 2021 refresh and more aggressive looks, it has, once again, caught my attention.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
766 Posts
hondopark & billg71
I rarely think about that when asked, but I agree about the breaking system, although I don't think it's a Honda Specific problem

The worst was in my 2017, I was going around a bend another car was in the other lane and the Ridgeline put on the breaks because of the bend the sensors thought it was in front of me and the breaks were engaged. After that I always have it turned off, which is why I don't think about it much anymore. Kind of like the auto shut off, I just keep it off and so it's not really a concern anymore.

I don't know if Honda's system is better or worse than any other's system. I somehow doubt it, I'm pretty sure every car would behave the same.
I just want to say, I "think" a lot have the same issue, after all it's incredible any technology like this works. The company I work for has a brand new Ford Explorer for my department. Honestly, it trips up more than Honda's, and it is 4 years newer. They all have calculation issues on curves and corners and metal. I tend to know when Honda will freak out now. Almost all of the time if the curve is right and a car on the curve is turning left, it will trip. Also on inclines with an intersection at the top. Don't get too dissapointed.

Because I get wordy, let me also say. When I first got mine and I started to get frustrated, all it took was one day on a 5 lane freeway and me with my head turned to check my passenger blind spot when the car a bit ahead of me stopped completely because he missed an exit was was going to attempt to turn sharp to cross the barrier. The truck braked while my head was turned, and that would have been a high speed impact. I sat there for a second as death warmed past me, and then I busted out with glorified laugh of relief and loudly saying "that's incredible!"

Give it a chance and get used to its shortcomings, you'll adapt just as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I first got mine and started get frustrated all it took was one day on a 5 lane freeway and me with my head turned to check my blind spot when the car ahead of me stopped complete because he missed an exit was was going to attempt to turn sharp to cross the barrier.
I do turn the CMBS back on when I am on the highway, but my RL has blind spot monitors. I certainly don't turn my head when I'm on the highway....I use my mirrors.
I also dont tailgate :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts