Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
766 Posts
I certainly don't turn my head when I'm on the highway....I use my mirrors. I also dont tailgate :)
Well, this was DC and it's easy to preach, but the freeway gets congested in a moments notice. I wasn't tailgating if you read, the car (a TAXI) stopped suddenly to turn. And still after 4 years, I simply forget about the blind spot LEDS. They don't chirp unless you are signaling, and I still haven't formed a habit of using, plus I they do not catch everything. You just weren't in that scenario. And the point regardless, is... the technology worked (and your point is you don't need it?... congrats)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not trying to get off topic but with CMBS on a two-lane I have better luck with hugging the line away from the oncoming car. I do agree it could be tweaked better for two lane curvy roads but so far that has been my only bad experience so if going through a narrow two-lane I just turn it off.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
With regards to inappropriate forward collision warnings on two-lane roads, my 2017 did this occasionally (perhaps once or twice a week). My 2019 did it often (sometimes multiple times per day during my commute) , but was reduced to occasionally after having the camera and radar re-aimed. I rarely, if ever, had this happen in any of my other Hondas with the feature (2017 CR-V, 2018 Accord, 2019 RDX). It's never happened in my 2020 CX-5 so far. I found that reducing the forward collision warning distance reduced the number of inappropriate warnings, but it also decreased the number of appropriate warnings.

On the topic of this thread, I bought four more Ridgelines (2010, 2014, 2017, and 2019) after my first one (2007). The quality of the 2017 and 2019, in particular, sent me running from Honda. I still like keeping up with the latest Honda news, but I don't have any interest in owning another one at this time. I may consider another Ridgeline in the future if I see real evidence of quality and customer service improvements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On the topic of this thread, I bought four more Ridgelines (2010, 2014, 2017, and 2019) after my first one (2007). The quality of the 2017 and 2019, in particular, sent me running from Honda.
If you had a problem with your 2017...then why buy the 2019???

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
If you had a problem with your 2017...then why buy the 2019???
I had several great Hondas over a decade. The 2017 Ridgeline didn't have that historic Honda quality, but it wasn't awful. I bought a 2017 Civic Si that got vandalized which I traded for a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T that wasn't that great, either. I decided to consolidate the Accord and Ridgeline into a 2019 RDX which was even worse than the 2017 Ridgeline so I traded it for a 2019 Ridgeline and bought a 2019 Miata. I was so impressed by the quality of the Miata that I traded the 2019 Ridgeline for a CX-5.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
766 Posts
I bought a 2017 Civic Si... traded for a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T... a 2019 RDX... I traded it for a 2019 Ridgeline... bought a 2019 Miata... I traded the 2019 Ridgeline for a CX-5.
Is this my younger me? LOL. I've never known anyone to own as many vehicles I have. This truck is the longest I've ever kept one. I'm on about number 44 or 46 (somewhere in the mid 40's) just about everything from an 65 Ford Pickup, Dodge Dart, AMC Matador, Opal, Granada, Cutlass, Mercury Capri RS, El Comino SS, Firebird SS, Nova, Opal, Mustang VTO, Acura TL, MDX, BMW Diesel Coupe, X3, Wrangler, ... Geez you name it... (never owned a Mazda though, test drove one though). And then a good buddy of mine became a car review editor and the sampling continued. Love the stuff. Hats off to you.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Is this my younger me? LOL. I've never know anyone to own as many vehicles I have. This truck is the longest I've ever kept one. I'm on about number 44 or 46 (somewhere in the mid 40's) just about everything from an 65 Ford Pickup, Dodge Dart, AMC Matador, Opal, Granada, Cutlass, Mercury Capri RS, El Comino SS, Firebird SS, Nova, Opal, Mustang VTO, Acura TL, MDX, BMW Diesel Coupe, X3, Wrangler, ... Geez you name it... (never owned a Mazda though, test drove one though). And then a good buddy of mine became a car review editor the sampling continued. Love the stuff. Hats off to you.
I average about 1 per year (I'm on #31 since 1989). I started dabbling in automotive reviews and writing a few years ago - it's opened up some interesting doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a 2019 if something were to happen to it I would replace it with the same vehicle.
Been a great light duty truck hauls everything I need it too.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,424 Posts
To the OP. I sold my Mini and decided that running errands in my Ram would be less than fun, so I traded it and bought a 2020 RTL-E. So far so good, but I’ve only had it since April. I can say it does well towing, rides great, gets decent fuel economy, and is a breeze to drive and park. That said, your only downside is the hit you’re going to take on that 2019. I’ve had 3 Rams. Trading or selling in less than 3 years is less than ideal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To the OP. I sold my Mini and decided that running errands in my Ram would be less than fun, so I traded it and bought a 2020 RTL-E. So far so good, but I’ve only had it since April. I can say it does well towing, rides great, gets decent fuel economy, and is a breeze to drive and park. That said, your only downside is the hit you’re going to take on that 2019. I’ve had 3 Rams. Trading or selling in less than 3 years is less than ideal.
Thanks Toy! I actually paid $57K for her back in February 2019 and I can get $46K right now. Therefore, after 2 years, I only lost $11K so I am in very good shape and I pay cash for everything so I have 100% equity :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,424 Posts
Thanks Toy! I actually paid $57K for her back in February 2019 and I can get $46K right now. Therefore, after 2 years, I only lost $11K so I am in very good shape and I pay cash for everything so I have 100% equity :)
I'm old enough to remember when I set my ceiling at $1500 per year loss.......cant't do that now for sure with prices twice as much as my first house!. Don't let them lowball you too much as the used Ram prices are surprisingly high, even in the face of the large discounts on new ones. They are a class leader and much sought after. Well, you're in good shape and the Ridgeline will be a treat to drive and park, although my 2017 Ram was about as good of a half ton you could get in the ride department. Great truck. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm old enough to remember when I set my ceiling at $1500 per year loss.......cant't do that now for sure with prices twice as much as my first house!. Don't let them lowball you too much as the used Ram prices are surprisingly high, even in the face of the large discounts on new ones. They are a class leader and much sought after. Well, you're in good shape and the Ridgeline will be a treat to drive and park, although my 2017 Ram was about as good of a half ton you could get in the ride department. Great truck. Happy hunting.
My benchmark is if it doesn't cost me more than $500/month of ownership, I'm good. Based on my numbers on the RAM, I will lose around $11K over 22 months or so that results in $500. Not saying I wouldn't exceed the $500 number, but that is my sweet spot. I look at it from the perspective of what would my monthly payment be if I had financed it versus paying cash? I recall my Father-in-law saying, when he had to buy a new car after I got married, this car is more than my first house😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a new 2019 RTL AWD last December and have put 22K miles on it. I normally do about 40K per year, but the COVID thing slowed me down a bit. I really like it and would likely buy it again. I use the bed 2-3 times per week hauling trash to the dump, pool supplies, wood pellets, lawn stuff, etc. I also use the trunk a lot as my job requires tools. It's a pretty unique vehicle and there's really nothing else out there that compares. I'm a pretty diehard Toyota guy (I came from a Tundra) and if Toyota made a version of this, I'd buy the Toyota, but this thing works. Easy to get into, easy to park, decent on gas, hauls enough, tows enough, luxurious enough. There are things that I would improve on the vehicle, but the same could be said about any vehicle I've ever had.

The funny thing is that as much as I like it, my family and all of my friends hate it. They acknowledge the utility, but the styling and image are something they cannot get past. My family, in particular, all but refuses to ride in it. I constantly hear...it looks like a van....it looks like an El Camino....it's not a truck.....it's ugly. My wife says that only old men and lesbians drive Honda Ridgelines. In fact, she hates it so much that although it's her turn to get the next new car, she said she'd give me the next upgrade if I promised to not get another Ridgeline. That's okay though. I like the styling and I like El Caminos. I think the Ridgeline is probably the best kept secret in the small/midsize truck market, but most people get hung up on the lack of perceived machismo that comes with driving a Ridgeline.

Buy the Ridgeline and ignore the haters. It's quirky and fantastic all at the same time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased my first ridgeline in 2006, one of the best useful vehicles I’ve ever owned. I purchased a 2017 because of that experience, unfortunately haven’t had the same experience. Love the technology although it even has it shortfalls (iPhone head unit interface is awful) the legroom isn’t as good (6’6” here), we had planned to go to southern Utah camping and finally backed out because worries worries about the clearance.
Decided to wait and see what this 2021 version would be, apparently just looks, nothing of substance… Nothing to improve off road. We’re leaving the Ridgeline behind just ordered a 2021 Dodge Rebel (with rambox because I have to have a trunk!)

Well Honda, it was fun while it lasted, maybe when I’m 70 it will be more appealing.

Reactions: securityguy

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
... just about everything from a 65 Ford Pickup, Dodge Dart, AMC Matador, Opal, Granada, Cutlass, Mercury Capri RS, El Comino SS, Firebird SS, Nova, Opal, Mustang VTO, Acura TL, MDX, BMW Diesel Coupe, X3, Wrangler, ... Geez you name it...
What's a "Firebird SS"?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I purchased my first ridgeline in 2006, one of the best useful vehicles I’ve ever owned. I purchased a 2017 because of that experience, unfortunately haven’t had the same experience. Love the technology although it even has it shortfalls (iPhone head unit interface is awful) the legroom isn’t as good (6’6” here), we had planned to go to southern Utah camping and finally backed out because worries worries about the clearance.
Decided to wait and see what this 2021 version would be, apparently just looks, nothing of substance… Nothing to improve off road. We’re leaving the Ridgeline behind just ordered a 2021 Dodge Rebel (with rambox because I have to have a trunk!)

Well Honda, it was fun while it lasted, maybe when I’m 70 it will be more appealing.

Did you get the split tailgate so you can have the dual action too?
In my mind anyway, I feel RAM with the Ram Boxes and the Split tailgate gives you pretty much the same functionality of the Ridgeline. They also have those storage compartments in the floor, and the available 12 inch screen you can split. All very cool and tempting stuff, I just wish they had an ecoboost like Ford

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
...and they're pretty good looking (relative to older Ram and Dodge trucks), and ride smoothly and quietly on smooth pavement, but they are SO BIG! I like being able to close my garage door. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
...and they're pretty good looking (relative to older Ram and Dodge trucks), and ride smoothly and quietly on smooth pavement, but they are SO BIG! I like being able to close my garage door. ;)
New Ram is one of the best looking trucks out there. But agreed, these trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger. Even on the new homes (we have one), they still don't make garages big enough to park these massive trucks in. Next home will be custom, but sheesh, you shouldn't have to build a custom home to garage a basic vehicle. Parking downtown is already a PITA with a small vehicle.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts