Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,260 Posts
I have read about Ridgeline owners using various EBC pads that meet their specific driving/performance needs.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
So what is the difference between all the various types of Green Stuff plus also the Yellow Stuff pads ?
You can read about the differences on the EBC website I linked you to above.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Years ago, I recall ROC members discussing EBC Yellow Stuff saying they create a lot of brake dust and do not last long (as expected) but they do improve stopping power. I do not think anyone conducted a "before and after" brake test with their Ridgeline. I do recall members putting Yellow Stuff on their front wheels and Green Stuff on their rears.

Now EBC has the "Extra Duty Light Truck, Jeep and SUV brake pads" which may be good for our mid-size truck, but I really do not know.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Akebono is the OEM supplier and will be fine for a replacement set of brake pads. If you are looking for more performance then the EBC pads are worth considering. I have EBC dimpled / slotted rotors and Yellowstuff pads on my 14 along with Acura MDX calipers on the front. The Yellowstuff pad formula is definitely higher friction than OEM offering more powerful braking. The down sides are more brake dust, shorter pad life and a bit touchier braking performance. I have no personal experience with the Greenstuff pads and as McChizzle says you should read up what EBC says and you can also read plenty of reviews (non Ridgeline) on line.

If you do go with a performance brake pad you will want to do the fronts with a matching set. If you are just wanting to do the rears then the Aekbonos will be a good choice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I went through a similar issue. I almost rear ended a car twice and never liked the lazy brakes that came on my 08. I found the rears were getting down so I put new OEM ones on. No noticeable difference. In a couple of months, I noticed the fronts were due as well as the rotors. I ordered new OEM rotors and EBC greenstuff pads after a lot of research. I figured that since I was putting EBC on the front, I might as well replace the rears with matching greenstuff pads. WOW! What a difference! Initial bite was excellent. No noticeable increase in dust.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've been using Yellow Stuff and Dimpled/ Slotted EBC for the last 250,000 miles. When my current set wears down again, I will be using the same components again on this RTL.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is this the rear set components you installed and all shims,clips etc.. were included in box ?

They only come with a circular shim that presses into the caliper piston as well as a small packet of caliper grease. Yes that is the correct part #.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,897 Posts
Do you think the mis-spelling of break-in is intentional? Or is this a possible case of bogus parts from Amazon again (like the spark plug issue)?

And what is that bracket on the rear pad? I don't recognize where/how that fits on the pad assembly (and I've replaced them several times between the Pilot and the Ridge (although my Ridge still has the original pads up front at 118k miles)).

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I doubt those are knock-offs. It's either a typo or intentional.
The bracket on the back pops into the caliper piston bore. Those pictures are likely not the actual brake pads and I don't recall my rear Yellowstuff pads having that type of bracket on the back.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,019 Posts
Speed, I also believe "Brake-in" is trademarked or copyrighted as that's on all of the pics on there website.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,897 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went from the original pads to new rotors and Hawk Green Light Truck pads, or something like that. Stopped great but started to get noisy after about 20K miles. Went to EBC Yellow and almost as good braking, no noise but lots of hard to remove dust. Then went to Akebono and no noise or dust, but a dramatic reduction bite and overall braking. I guess it's all a compromise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure what you are looking for but i have used a set of those pads on my 2009 ridgeline and they lasted 20000 miles, went back to OEM pads and got 70000 miles out of the OEM pads. Not sure if this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts