• Keep the Pioneer Navi

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Get the OEM Navi

Votes: 23 76.7%

Would you take this deal?

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  TheRidgester 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Well I was wondering if I can get some opinions on this little connumdrum I now have.

After wanting a Black RTL S/R w/ Navi, I got talked into a Blue RTL S/R XM (NO NAVI). I expressed some dissapoinment with it so the Sales Manager threw in the Pioneer AVIC-D1, with a Pioneer 6CD changer and a backup camera. I agreed and processed the papers. The way the dealer explained it was that everything would be in the dash just a little different than the OEM version which was fine by me.

Well I just got the truck back tonight (Monday, after dropping it off on Friday night...originally said that it would be done by Sat. night) The Navi is installed and the back up camera is working. I kept on looking for the 6 cd changer and finally found it under the Drivers seat. I was somewhat shocked. My girlfriend and I walked back into the dealership and told them about the problem. To make a long story short, the GM said that he will talk to the Sales Manager and the AV shop and see what can be done. In a way, I'm starting to regret not holding to my guns and getting the OEM setup. I especially like how the changer is behind the Navi or at least its not under the seat.

I also was promised voice activation, but at this point it does not look like it has it. I don't see here any instructions on that feature. Anyone know about the Pioneer voice activation and how I can test it?

The GM said he will call me tomorrow with all my options including returning the car. Do you guys think I'm being too picky about all this? I just feel slighted because the sales manager clearly stated that everything would be in the dash, so I expected a different setup than what I got.

Thanks,
RidgeX

p.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong topic but I thought it has to do with my exp. buying the Ridgeline.

See less See more
#2 ·
So to understand better, the problems are; the changer is under the seat and there appears to be no voice activation support?

My question would be, where do you expect them to put an external changer? Under the seat would be a normal place. The factory DVD/NAVI drive is installed under the driver seat.

The voice activation is cool but I don't use it very often.

#3 ·
I personally wouldn't want a CD changer under the seat and would feel as if I'd been lied to if the salesperson told you it would be in-dash like the OEM version. Only you can decide if you're going to be happy or bitter...sounds like you're bitter already. If so, (and based on what you've told us) I'd give it back and get what you want up front.

#5 ·
At first I wanted Navi, but decided not to go with it at the last minute. I am just as happy without it. If you really want it though, definitely go with the OEM if you can.:)

#6 ·
RidgeX said:
After wanting a Black RTL S/R w/ Navi, I got talked into a Blue RTL S/R XM (NO NAVI). I expressed some dissapoinment with it so the Sales Manager threw in the Pioneer AVIC-D1, with a Pioneer 6CD changer and a backup camera.
I do like the Honda Nav very much, but had the poineer in my last vehicle..
It was a step down... the pioneer has more functions and is more accurate etc.. than the stock Honda.. Me, I would keep the pioneer but either way you can't go wrong... they are both very nice units!

#7 ·
If this is the Pioneer that has XM Navi-Traffic (the integrated traffic system provided by XM and only supported on certain Navi systems, like the one in the Acura RL), I'd *totally* keep the deal. Loading up the 6-cd changer under the seat is old school (many after-market systems were put in the trunk), but tolerable.

I had to hunt far and wide to find a Blue RTL with Navi -- once I found out that it was not a dealer-installed option to have Navi, and I saw how nicely the Navi and 6-cd changer work together, I knew I wanted the OEM one. But I'd love to have the Pioneer Navi that has the traffic updates -- so much so that I'm trying to figure out where I can put it in my Insight!

Good luck with your dilemma!

#8 ·
How good of a job did they do installing the Pioneer? I went with the OEM nav because fit and finish is my #1 priority. I hate after market install "kits" where the radio sticks out of the dash or the whole install looks cheap. Voice recognition is nice but I don't use it very much. I do like the changer behind the screen. What is the impact of the warrenty with all the pioneer stuff? Will it be covered by your extended warranty (if you got one)?

#9 ·
The navi install actually looks pretty good, but at the same time I would have liked to compare it to a RL with a OEM navi. Maybe I will upload some pics when I get home tonight and you guys can then see for yourself. Fit and Finish is one of my top priorities as well, and I guess that why I'm second guessing this whole deal.

Well I did get an extended warranty since it was 50% off but I'm not sure at this point if the Pioneer is covered under that or is it just covered under the standard Pioneer Warranty. I will have to look into that again.

Yes this is the Pioneer with the XM Traffic even though it looks like they hooked up a Sirius antenna on top of the windshield (somewhat tacky), so at this point I'm not sure if XM will work right now.

I guess I expected a slot loading changer just like all the new factory systems. Let me tell you, he talked up the whole thing so I should have known it wouldn't be as good as he said. Also he promised me a remote and guess what?...no remote.

Still waiting for the GM to call me with list of options for me. So far it looks like more people are saying go with the OEM Navi inthe poll (7-3). Hmmmmm.............................

#11 ·
Definitely upload some pictures. I'd love to see the job they did.

I went for the OEM Navi and really like it. It's my first Navi so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I've had an Explorer with the CD changer mounted under the back seat and an Expedition with it mounted in the front center console. I definitely preferred the mounting of the Expedition over the Explorer. On the Expedition, we had a DVD player mounted under the passenger seat and it was a pain to change it out. Now with a CD changer, you won't really be changing them all that often but I think I would rather have easy access like the OEM. Plus it's really cool to show people how the screen opens up to insert them. :rolleyes:

I do wish the trip computer was enabled. My BIL has a Garmen and can see all sorts of useless information that I would like to have.

Good luck in your decision. The Ridge is one heck of a truck.

#12 ·
Looks like you have two CD options, the CD built into the unit and the 6 CD unit they put under the seat. I like the navigational tips on the OEM version better than what I have seen on their web site, but that is pretty subjective. It has a lot of features you can't get in the Ridgeline. MP3/WMA CDs, XM Traffic and the like. If it fits well and the 6CD is the only issues, I would probably say stick with it. Looks like if they had tried they could have put a 6 CD slot loader into that upper deck instead of just the one CD, but that is a Pioneer issues. As to the quality of the product, Pioneer is pretty well rated.

#17 ·
OK here's the pics of the Pioneer navi and cd changer. What do you guys think?

Update: Yesterday they offered me the Pioneer AVIC-N2 as an upgrade (to make up for the no remote and no voice activation) from the D1 but I don't think a Single DIN unit such as the N2 will look better than what I have already.

Attachments

#18 ·
RidgeX said:
OK here's the pics of the Pioneer navi and cd changer. What do you guys think?

Update: Yesterday they offered me the Pioneer AVIC-N2 as an upgrade (to make up for the no remote and no voice activation) from the D1 but I don't think a Single DIN unit such as the N2 will look better than what I have already.
To be honest I think they made a good attempt and it is a good unit. I would have them take it to ABT in glenview, as they can custom mold it to your dash, rather than have it stickout the way it does. Being honda did this, it looks good as they could have provided, just the stereo shops have better gear to make it fit nicer... just my 2 cents... pm me if you want a number for ABT

#19 ·
sounds to me that you don't really want that particular truck...like you are just settling for it....get the truck you really want. if you don't, every little "issue" you have with it will drive you nuts. you will be living with this vehicle for a long time...hopefully.....so go back and get the one that really appeals to you without having to add a bunch of stuff to it.....lots of luck...
oh you did say you got a blue one, right????
sue

#21 ·
Now the GM went back on his word and will not take the truck back. I have to go tonight to decide whether I want to 1) upgrade to the AVIC-N2 2) Keep the D1 and get about $500 to compensate for the no voice act. and no remote that they promised me or 3) have them take it back to stock and get about $2,000 back since I will not have any Navi

Right now I'm leaning towards options 2 or 3 since I really don't think the N2 will look that nice since its a single DIN unit.

Also thinking about taking it to another place if I do keep it and see if they can do a better job integrating it into the dash even though it doesn't look as bad in person as the pic makes it.

Yes it is Steel Blue which I and alot of other people like so thats the good thing that came out of all of this.

#22 ·
tadtam said:
Bitterness can be cured with a large price reduction ;)
As tadtam had said .. The $500.00 can help heal what little things are out there... I got my RL from a dealer near you & they messed up with the wheel flares as they have a wavy effect in them and that bothered me. The dealer refunded all my money for the part and install & now I like the way they look:)
Go with your gut feeling on what works for you... bottom line, with any Ridgeline .... you can't go wrong! Enjoy the ride:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.