Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Would you use a website that provides information on car washes?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would you use a website that provides FREE up-to-date information on car washes around the country, including pricing, details, user reviews, quality, etc? Something that would allow you to find and review car washes in your area, or near your work, that are of good quality and are reasonbly priced? If you would not use something like this, why, or what would make you want to use a free service liket this?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I voted other...odd ball here!
I love to wash my cars..but, a local place sells an annual package that works out to about 8 bucks a wash if you go one time per week.
I go 2 or 3 times a week and then daily in the salty winter days to keep them shining... so if I do the 3 times a week, it runs a couple bucks a wash for a 22 dollar premuim wash... they practically detail the darn thing every time go thru! Also its easy for me as its on my way from work and it only takes 5 to 10 minutes...they only have 10 chicagoland locations... just checked , no web site...PM me if interested

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
This would be great. We are on a quest to find a better car wash, as the one nearest us is disappointing. It leaves a light colored film on the truck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truckin' said:
This would be great. We are on a quest to find a better car wash, as the one nearest us is disappointing. It leaves a light colored film on the truck.
I have been on a continual quest to find the "perfect" car wash with a bay that let's you wash the car yourself. Almost every one I have used had SOMETHING wrong with it. I finally found a great one, but it's 10 miles away. LOL

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes please, thank you! :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm really amized with this trevia!!! Why broach this subject if you do not have a solution. And,,, and,,, and NOONE seams to care to give one!!!:(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldguy said:
I'm really amized with this trevia!!! Why broach this subject if you do not have a solution. And,,, and,,, and NOONE seams to care to give one!!!:(
Well, actually, I am working on a solution. I just wanted to get a general idea of interest first.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.:p

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree, but i'm the kind of guy that would rather use a wash bay as opposed to just washing it in my driveway. It's less of a hassle. With it being almost winter and all, I have resorted to using the Fantasy's touchless exterior carwash in Bellevue as I get a $2 discount with gas. For the money, it's a pretty darn good wash, and it saves me money too. There's another carwash about 5 miles from there that is really cool. The entire system is suspended from the ceiling, and it has arms that hang down on each side of the vehicle. These arms have sensors that actually determine the length and width of your car, and also does a pretty good job (although I have recently discovered that heavy dirt does just so-so). But this is exactly why I am considering developing a free service such as this so people can come together and discuss/review different washes in their area, as well as discuss different detailing techniques, etc... Picture www.gasbuddy.com, except with carwashes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
IMHO, the majority of people who would be interested enough and care enough about their car to check the website woudn't-becasue they would never run their car through a swirl-o-matic.

I do understand where you're going with it, but I think there are two camps with a slight overlap-those who care enough about their car to hand wash and those that don't care who would run it through a automatic swirl generator. There is probably a small fraction there in the middle that want a nice looking car but can't / don't want to hand wash it-that would be your target.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMO, no matter how good the wash, it is only as good as the drying aspect. I have a black car that has been severly scratched, not by the wash itself but by the idiot hand dryers. The auto blow dry dropped onto my soft tonneau on my Tacoma and ripped a big hole in it. The only auto wash I will use at all is a LASER wash. Nothing ever touches the vehicle but it does still lease some dirt if it is dried on and heavy (windshield film). Most washes will do some kind of damage IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
5S Dude said:
If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.:p
That is true but I have 2 locations that come real close and one I have used exclusively for the past 7 years with my Montero Sport and that is were I take the Ridgeline now. They loved the truck the first time I brought it in too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a profesional detailer in wisconsin. IMPO if you haven't got the advantage of washing your own vehicle at home, by hand, because its freezing out then definately go to a TOUCH wash with soft chamois spinners. you may think it scratches your car, but you should have your car buffed and waxxed at least once a year regardless. those fancy lazer guided touchless car washes are junk, run a kleenex across your door after you use one next time, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
paidoffridgeline said:
I'm a profesional detailer in wisconsin. IMPO if you haven't got the advantage of washing your own vehicle at home, by hand, because its freezing out then definately go to a TOUCH wash with soft chamois spinners. you may think it scratches your car, but you should have your car buffed and waxxed at least once a year regardless. those fancy lazer guided touchless car washes are junk, run a kleenex across your door after you use one next time, you'll see what I mean.
I agree with paidoffridgeline .... where I take mine, they have the soft chamis spinners & even though I have white.. I look at all the black cars/trucks that come thru and there all in great shape! It all depends on the wash/ location and if they are good or not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
paidoffridgeline said:

So true...although I still use them! Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex where I am not capable of pulling out a hose and washing the truck myself. For fear of scratching it, I have been using the touchless car washes, but they really only rinse the thing off. I always get out and dry it afterwards, but it's never as clean as I'd like it. Plus now that it's below freezing everyday, I don't get to wash it as much as I'd like. If only there was such a thing as indoor heated car washes...I'm talking vacuums and all!!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
RxHil said:
So true...although I still use them! Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex where I am not capable of pulling out a hose and washing the truck myself. For fear of scratching it, I have been using the touchless car washes, but they really only rinse the thing off. I always get out and dry it afterwards, but it's never as clean as I'd like it. Plus now that it's below freezing everyday, I don't get to wash it as much as I'd like. If only there was such a thing as indoor heated car washes...I'm talking vacuums and all!!!
Sounds like a business opportunity. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
paidoffridgeline said:
you may think it scratches your car, but you should have your car buffed and waxxed at least once a year regardless. those fancy lazer guided touchless car washes are junk, run a kleenex across your door after you use one next time, you'll see what I mean.
I agree 100% . Touch free car washes are only good for getting the dust off. Not dirt!! At $7-$8 a wash, there making a killing on your car that is still dirty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
paidoffridgeline said:
I'm from Racine too! Can you recommend someone locally that uses the soft chamois spinners? I typically go to one of the car washes on Douglas Ave. on the north side, but sometimes it looks like they dry the vehicles with 40-grit sandpaper.

JB

·
Registered
319 Posts
As I stated earlier most scratches do not come from washing but from the drying, especially if they have the driers that run on rollers across the car.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wash mine on base for CHEAP :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts