Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was moving cars around and noticed that when I removed the key but left thr headlights on it auto-locked and shut the headights out. I didn't realize that...pretty cool. (I'm not sure about the auto lock though...but I think it did)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I just was moving cars around and noticed that when I removed the key but left thr headlights on it auto-locked and shut the headights out.
I don't believe it auto-locks but the headlights do go out after 20 seconds. What I find interesting is that the 20 seconds doesn't start until after you exit the driver's seat.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Webwader said:
I don't believe it auto-locks but the headlights do go out after 20 seconds. What I find interesting is that the 20 seconds doesn't start until after you exit the driver's seat.
I leave the lights on most of the time, the lights go out for me at about 10 seconds. Watch out though, if you leave the keys in the ignition, the lights will not go out.

also, I will check, but I think if you leave a window open the lights will not go out?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Anybody know if this is bad for the battery??
No reason it should be. The lights go out in a matter of seconds. The other nice feature with leaving the lights on is that when you unlock the doors the headlights come back on, which is very handy if you are parked in a dark area.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
maybearidge said:
I just was moving cars around and noticed that when I removed the key but left thr headlights on it auto-locked and shut the headights out. I didn't realize that...pretty cool. (I'm not sure about the auto lock though...but I think it did)
The vehicle will auto lock after 30 seconds if you unlocked it but didn't open a door. That doesn't include opening the trunk, so it is possible to lock your keys in the truck if you drop them in there, close it, but don't get to another door in time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Webwader said:
There are no sensors in the drivers seat that detect occupancy, so the delay is not related to your presence. It's more likely related to you taking the key out of the ignition and then opening and closing the drivers door.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
There are no sensors in the drivers seat that detect occupancy, so the delay is not related to your presence. It's more likely related to you taking the key out of the ignition and then opening and closing the drivers door.
There is a sensor in the driver's seat that detects occupancy. Every car built in the last several years has one. It's that sensor that sets off the seat belt reminder buzzer.
It's not taking the key out of the ignition because I have already tried that. It could be tied to either the door light switch or the occupancy sensor.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Webwader said:
There is a sensor in the driver's seat that detects occupancy. Every car built in the last several years has one. It's that sensor that sets off the seat belt reminder buzzer.
That would be the engine running and the seatbelt not fastened. Or, are you saying that if you start the engine and get out of the RL, the seatbelt reminder won't ding?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hay no s**t Sherlock! THE LIGHTS DO GO OUT! But, how do you turn off the dinger that dings to remind you that your lights are on when you exit the vehicle, Its that dam dinger that anoying...:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like that feature also. At night when I park and shut off the engine, I leave the lights on, exit, close door, click twice to lock truck, walk away, Lights go out.
When I return later , click twice to open all doors, lights come on and stay on.
Start engine and you are ready to go. Its great when the area you are parked is very dark. Lights will be on before you enter the truck, you will hear the chime that the lights were left on....................... start engine and you are on your way. COOL FEATURE!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
swampler said:
That would be the engine running and the seatbelt not fastened. Or, are you saying that if you start the engine and get out of the RL, the seatbelt reminder won't ding?
Correct - there is a switch in the seat belt socket, but absolutely nothing in the seat itself. The passenger seat is a different story as discussed in several other threads.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OldGuy-

If I'm the Sherlock that you're sh**ting on, that would be "hey" not "hay" unless you are a horse....and the "dinger" as you call it, goes off when the lights go off...Sherlock.

ps
If that was not a wise-crack..my apologies...in my neck-of-the-woods, you called me an idiot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Webwader said:
It's not taking the key out of the ignition because I have already tried that. It could be tied to either the door light switch or the occupancy sensor.
My seat belt alarm does not signal unless the truck is in gear, and (maybe) moving. Mine has never gone off while just setting in it, while running, with the seatbeat unfastened.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts