Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can purchase a custom subwoofer box to replace the stock subwoofer behind the back seat? I would prefer one that can accommodate an 8" or 10" sub. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-ju571n

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Where do you live? I bet there is a ROC member near you who would be happy to help you build a box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really hoping to avoid having to build one. I'd much rather leave that to someone who knows what they're doing (and maybe help them make a buck). I've seen some people on this site who have built such a box and they all look great; I just don't think I'm capable of that standard of craftsmanship.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
6" powered Bazooka will fit, and from what I hear sounds much better & louder than the OEM sub.

I had one in my del Sol that sounded decent, and that is an open roof vehicle!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm getting ready to build myself an eD clone box to go with the Tang-band shallow mount driver. No specific timetable due to work/holidays etc, but if you aren't in a burning hurry I might be able to make 2 at once. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rickman, thank you for the recommendation. I'm now considering the idea of a Bazooka instead of a custom box.

CliVE, I would certainly consider such a setup if I were willing to take up the space below the seat, but I'm hoping to leave that area open.

dwk, I'm now debating whether to simply throw a Bazooka Tube back there or continue with my initial plan of putting a shallow mount sub in a custom box. I'll PM you for further details on your build and your offer.

Gouranga, I actually checked the Subthump website, but all three enclosures they offer are placed under the back seats; I'd like to keep that area open and place something in the tight area behind the seats. If I'm mistaken or looking in the wrong place, please let me know.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
just because I am not very accurate with wood, If I was in this situation and I wanted an Ed box clone, I would fine a local guy or carpenter, bring the MDF, have the measurments of each piece, then just pay to have them cut. Then just put it together, I guess the only hard part is cutting the hole for the sub, if flushed mounted, easy if recessed then maybe they will also do it. How much just for cutting the pieces? Hard to know, a good carpenter may charge $40-$60, it should take less than 1 hr and all you are doing is requesting pieces cut. Then you put it together, glue it screw it, seal it, wire it, that should not be that hard. Cost for materials should be under $20.00. You could have a box made for under $100.00. If it was me I would get the Pioneer sub, just add 1 inch in height to the box to fit the sub, and done. There is only 2 special requests the recessed hole, and the whole for the terminals, if you know the size of those then you are set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got the tools in my garage, 10" table saw, Jigsaw, 1/4 and 1/2 router with some bits...All I need is exact dimensions of the MDF (a.k.a. beaver puke) and could build one or two! Cutting one piece or cuting 2 or 3 at the same dimension doesn't take extra more time when you know it's going to be used. I tried to look for dimensions could not find them! Then I see the 6" bazooka and it fits...hummm (with some modification minor modification!
In my left corner we have the 6" Amplified Bazooka 100 watt woofer, and in my right corner an MDF box with a possible 10" or 12" shallow ( do I know which one that would do the job?) woofer that will require some type of amplification to power said whoofer ( I think if I am to use the stock HU), I ask, which is better?
So where are these so called dimensions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the tools in my garage, 10" table saw, Jigsaw, 1/4 and 1/2 router with some bits...All I need is exact dimensions of the MDF (a.k.a. beaver puke) and could build one or two! Cutting one piece or cuting 2 or 3 at the same dimension doesn't take extra more time when you know it's going to be used. I tried to look for dimensions could not find them! Then I see the 6" bazooka and it fits...hummm (with some modification minor modification!
In my left corner we have the 6" Amplified Bazooka 100 watt woofer, and in my right corner an MDF box with a possible 10" or 12" shallow ( do I know which one that would do the job?) woofer that will require some type of amplification to power said whoofer ( I think if I am to use the stock HU), I ask, which is better?
So where are these so called dimensions?

If you want to go with the Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 shallow mount sub you can use the dimensions from this thread, it looks like the author had to re do his box after realizing he had to flush mount the sub:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36757

These are the specs you need:
5.5 inches on Bottom; 4 inches on Top; 19.5 inches Wide; 11.4 inches High.

Inner Ring = 9 5/16 inches.
Outer Ring = 11 inches.

Why?

The inner ring of your box is built at 9 1/4 inches it needs to be 9 5/16 inches.
The outer ring of your box is built at 10.55 inches it needs to be 11 inches - this is a problem because the box height is 11 inches.

I recommend increasing the height by at least 0.4 - 0.8 inches OR the bare minimum so that the outer ring is 11 inches which allows you to flush mount this sub.

most other people have used the elemental designs box that fits the tang band shallow mount sub, not sure how much superior the pioneer is?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why are the dimensions different than what pioneer says to use? I know there's onyy 1/16 of an inch bigger for the inner ring and 1/8 bigger for the outer ring why? Play wood expansion ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts